TTS-1 resetting

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/11/12 03:48:56 (permalink)

TTS-1 resetting

I was twiddling with TTS-1 and wrote to a new User Normal 1 instrument. But when I restarted ,the Chorus and Reverb settings were being reset. In the end I found that the Event List had a couple of controller nessages there that I had set. Fine

But I wanted to alter the volume of the part. So I turned up the Level of the part, wrote to the same User Normal name and started again....and the Level was set back to the lower level. There are no Controller messages in the Event List.

Anyone?

Thanks for any help
\
Nick

11 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 03:52:45 (permalink)
    Forget it. The (*^#$(& Level of the Track overrides the TTS-1 Level, and was not seeing that because the TTS-1 was hiding it. BAH!

Nick
    stevemcg69
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 11:53:53 (permalink)
    I've got a similar problem, and have not been able to figure out the cause. In my case, I wanted to alter the TTS-1 Standard Set of drums by panning the hand claps hard left. I save the changes, save the project, close everything down and reload... and the hand claps appear to be exactly where I put them... until I hit play. Then everything reverts back to the default setting. What am I missing?

- Steve
    vespesian
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 18:34:51 (permalink)
    I use track level "insert program/bank" changes - not the synth GUI - with TTS - even for the initial patch. It's the only thing that sticks.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 19:21:48 (permalink)
    My guess? When you save, actually rename the set. Then as you start playing again, watch to see if the set reverts to the old set name. Again, the Track Inspector to the left of the track overrides the settings in TTS-1. It seems a little daft and confusing. Some parts stick, but if the Track Inspector has a control that matches the ones in the synth, it will override. The name of the chosen drums set it one of them. I reckon it should be a "two way street" myself, but maybe it can't be.

So to sum up my rant, you need to set the Patch name in the Track, not in the Synth, when playing. You can only design in the synth.

It would also appear that you can set it to None and let the synth do the work.

To add to the confusion, if you move _certain_ knobs in the Part box (chorus, reverb send and Pan at least, they get recorded in the track as events. You can turn this off by System Button to the right of TTS-1, then Option, then Options again.

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2007/11/12 19:44:06
    stevemcg69
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 22:10:54 (permalink)
    I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. First off, I can't seem to insert a patch change at the very beginning of the track. I can do it further downstream, but not at the very beginning.... not that it matters much anyway, because it always reverts back to the default drum settings when the song starts regardless. So... as far as a stray patch change causing my proplem... I can't see anything on the list to support that.

Second, I don't seem to have a handle on the TTS-1's ability to save & load customized user programs. If I make a change to an instrument, and hit the little 'write' buttton... it comes up with a list of 128 'Standard Set' programs as potential targets. Is there any way to change the names to something else? Even if I choose 001 - 'Standard Set', and overwrite it... the next time I load this project and hit play (and it reverts back again), going back into TTS-1 and loading 001-'Standard Set' does not bring up my changes. Where did they go?

- Steve
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 22:36:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: stevemcg69

I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. First off, I can't seem to insert a patch change at the very beginning of the track. I can do it further downstream, but not at the very beginning.... not that it matters much anyway, because it always reverts back to the default drum settings when the song starts regardless. So... as far as a stray patch change causing my proplem... I can't see anything on the list to support that.

Second, I don't seem to have a handle on the TTS-1's ability to save & load customized user programs. If I make a change to an instrument, and hit the little 'write' buttton... it comes up with a list of 128 'Standard Set' programs as potential targets. Is there any way to change the names to something else? Even if I choose 001 - 'Standard Set', and overwrite it... the next time I load this project and hit play (and it reverts back again), going back into TTS-1 and loading 001-'Standard Set' does not bring up my changes. Where did they go?

- Steve

OK. I have posted a question about your second part, because it has me beat as well. I have changed the name, and saved and Writed, and next time I open the project, all I get is "Standard Set"s all over again. I have tried reloading my saved file (see below) but cannot get it to stick. I have "lost about 5 settings like this, before I realised what had happened. I simply come back to 128 "Standard sets"

If you want to change the names, you actually double-click the drum set name, and you will have a (very short number of letter) box to type into. What you type will now be displayed. You then save _that_ to the 128 Standard Set list that you describe, in whatever patch number you choose. This you should then (AFAICS) also save the Bank to a drum file (.gmd) by clicking on the drumset name and choosing Save Bank, then when asked choose User Rhythm. You will then be taken to a Save DBox, which displays gmd files only if you ask from the list at the bottom in File Types...bit slack...however....

Not sure about the business of not being able to insert a patch change at the beginning of the track. But to stop it reverting, you either have to choose the patch name _in the Track Inspector_ , or select None and let TTS-1 take care of it.

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2007/11/12 22:50:07
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/12 22:58:00 (permalink)
    Ok. Do everyfink wot I sed.

Then you need to rename the Preset at the top of the TTS-1 screen. This is not part of TTS-01, but isd common to all of these synths under SONAR I think.

Having renamed your preset, you then save it. Make some changes (just set a different level on a track, or choose a new instrument) , give a new name, then save to a new preset name. Flick between presets. You should see your various settings change.

There is another more obscure way. System button, Option button, Options, Save Performance File. You then need to Load that file again in another project.

Nick
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/14 02:04:18 (permalink)
    Had any luck? I am finding this a bit of a dog's breakfast. I still have not sorted out the second problem; being able to recall drum sets that you have created.

I have had no responses to my query about that. I thought I had it cracked, but then I opened SONAR again I see 128 Standard Sets.

Nick

Nick
    Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
    Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
    Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
    stevemcg69
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/14 10:44:51 (permalink)
    Sad to say, I have the exact same results as you. Nothing appears to save (or be retained) in any semi-intelligent fashion. I can't rule out pilot error completely, but I've tried every combination of saving/loading/renaming/changing options/etc to no avail. If anybody has any insight as to what the trick is, I'd certainly be interested.

- Steve
    jake11375
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/19 09:51:26 (permalink)
    I had the same problem when I first started using the TTS-1.

To restore your saved user presets....

(1) Open the TTS-1
    (2) left-mouse click on any instrument name
    (3) Click load and locate the file where your sounds are saved (it will be a .gmn file

I named mine "My custom user sounds"

Hope this helps...
    post edited by jake11375 - 2007/11/19 09:53:03

JOSEPH-

Sonar X1 PE-64 | Win 7 Ult-64 | Intel i5-650 3.2Ghz | 16GB PC3 12800 | 1TB / 500GB HDD | Studiologic SL990 XP | Behringer UMX61 | | AP 2496

SOUNDCLICK (Studio J) 
    stevemcg69
    RE: TTS-1 resetting 2007/11/19 10:41:21 (permalink)
    After doing a bit of fiddling around with .gmn, .gmd and .gmf (performance) files I came to the conclusion that the above scenario does indeed work. What I noticed though (and what threw me at first) was the fact that my drum bank did not get updated merely upon loading in the file... but did as soon as I hit 'Play'.

Now that the work-arounds are known, the bigger question is... why can't these settings be saved with the project so that they are available when it's reloaded?

- Steve
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1