Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users?

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2007/11/13 18:10:10 (permalink)

Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users?

I'm a long time Sonar (and CoolEdit) user. I've got some upcoming video projects and am trying to find some video editing software that "clicks" with me.

I've tried Microsoft Movie Maker (free). It's decent, except for how it handles audio: no volume automation! What??? You have to split your audio into chunks and then lower the volume of each chunk. No curves, no slopes. Just fixed volume levels for each segment. That's awful. I'm used to drawing volume curves.

So, do you know of any video editing programs that handle audio in a Sonar-esque manner? At least, in terms of volume (and possibly panning) automation? End-to-end from analog capture to dvd burning is preferred, but I'll settle for decent editing at least; I've got VirtualDub for capture and Nero for burning if the editor doesn't handle those parts.

Thanks!

21 Replies Related Threads

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/13 19:14:43 (permalink)
    I picked up Adobe Premiere Elements for that, is pretty affordable, and does all everything you mentioned, maybe except the drawing bit with the envelopes (could have missed that, but don't think so), but it has envelopes, and keyframes etc, so just about everything is programmable. I use VirtualDub on the side, too. Guess *everybody* does. Amazing little program.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Telecaster
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/13 19:47:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Tripecac

I'm a long time Sonar (and CoolEdit) user. I've got some upcoming video projects and am trying to find some video editing software that "clicks" with me.

Hi Triperac,

I think you should look at this Sony Vegas Studio Platinum I can say is that it works great and is very stable, I've been using it for a year and are about to upgrade to the full Vegas package.

I recommend you download the trial and give it a good workout, I think you will be pleased.

Cheers
    Mike
    post edited by Telecaster - 2007/11/13 19:59:36

Cheers
    Mike
    PC I7 3770k, 16Gb ram build to Jim Roseberry specs.
    Sonar X3 PE, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , Edirol PCR-800.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/13 20:26:23 (permalink)
    I would say Sony Vegas. It really looks and feels like a Windows program just like Sonar. Even some of the keys are the same like "S" to split. All the other video editing programs I've seen work strange and have lots of things you just have to know about (learn) because there is no menu item for it. I was glad to see that after Sony purchased Sonic Foundry they kept the look and feel to the products and continued to improve them.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/13 21:08:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, Movie Maker is pretty limited.
    I use Pinnacle Studio, but the audio drivers for the capture hardware are not compatible with Cakewalk software. If you have a Firewire port, and you are recording digital video, you don't really need that anyway.
    As much as I like Pinnacle, I would agree that Premier Elements or Vegas would be a good choice.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/13 23:41:53 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys!

No good freeware solutions, then, eh? Well, Sonar isn't free either, and video editing is probably even more difficult to program.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 04:36:01 (permalink)
    sony vegas movie studio is cheaper than platinum but has most of the tools so maybe look at that (is $70 from amazon), we got it a month ago and it's pretty powerful stuff, and for example you can use your vsts for the audio track. if you need more than 4 (i think) video tracks then you'll need a more expensive version, but for most amateur stuff it's fine. it also comes with dvd architect studio. i'll warn you that rendering takes an age, though, even on my dual core machine - if you have a quad you'll really notice the benefit!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    R!Soc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 12:16:38 (permalink)
    +1 for sony vegas studio.
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 13:23:16 (permalink)
    Wow, lots of versions of Sony Vegas on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asony%20vegas%2Ci%3Asoftware

Which one(s) do you guys recommend?
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 13:42:55 (permalink)
    According to this page: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=457&PageID=110 only the Pro version has "automation envelope recording". Does this mean the cheaper versions don't have envelopes, or they just can't record controller events? I just want to be able to draw volume curves like I do in Sonar.
    post edited by Tripecac - 2007/11/14 13:55:06
    ohhey
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 14:18:31 (permalink)

According to this page: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=457&PageID=110 only the Pro version has "automation envelope recording". Does this mean the cheaper versions don't have envelopes, or they just can't record controller events? I just want to be able to draw volume curves like I do in Sonar.

I haven't used the cheap one but I would think it has envelopes check the Sony web site to be sure. In Vegas the video tracks also have envelopes for things like fade to black (or other color) or fade out to reveal the next track down, even track velocity to slow down the video. It works just like audio in Sonar envelopes are the key to automation.
    LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 15:31:18 (permalink)
    VEGAS.................the cheap one has automation. Shop around you can get the cheap one @ Best Buy, Comp USA, etc...... for $39. It goes on sale every few months.

LixiSoft
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 20:17:10 (permalink)
    Thanks a ton guys! I ordered the cheap version of Sony Vegas from amazon for around $35 (from a seller). :)
    Telecaster
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 20:28:32 (permalink)

Wow, lots of versions of Sony Vegas on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asony%20vegas%2Ci%3Asoftware

Which one(s) do you guys recommend?

Well I would recommend This , but it seems you have all ready made your choice.

Good luck, if you need a few links to some tutorial and forums just let me know and i'll post some.

Cheers
    Mike

Cheers
    Mike
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/14 23:09:56 (permalink)
    Platinum looked like it had a few more effects and stuff. I didn't see any critical features that I'd miss. I guess I could have hunted around for a good price. Oh well! I'll have a better sense of whether basic or platinum is for me once I've used basic for a while. So basically I'm paying $35 for a fancy demo. :)

As for tutorials, I'd love to see an end-to-end video of someone capturing analog, editing it, and burning it to dvd. Or at least the editing part. What would be really cool is to see how someone can sync up audio and video, like in the hilarious StSanders youtube clips: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1213526

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/15 04:11:43 (permalink)
    So basically I'm paying $35 for a fancy demo.

nah, vegas studio is far more than a demo. it'll do the video/audio sync thing great. have fun!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Telecaster
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/15 20:08:59 (permalink)
    Hi Tripecac,

Ok here goes, hope you can use some of it.

Sony Vegas Forum

Tutorial Center

Bill Myers

Mr. Safety

Digital Director Vegas Forum

Genyus Different tutorials

Ninteh Vegas Tutorials forum

When you first start with Vegas it looks a bit difficult but after a little while when you start getting the hang of it, it is really easy and awesome to use, good luck with it and make sure you post a sample we can see.

Cheers
    Mike

Cheers
    Mike
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/15 23:26:00 (permalink)
    Thanks a ton! I will check those links out as soon as I have my hands on Vegas!
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/19 20:32:53 (permalink)
    Over the weekend I received Vegas, did a couple tutorials, and was able to create and burn a couple test DVDs. The DVDs played fine (which is not the case with Microsoft Movie Maker).

The audio envelopes were extremely similar to Sonar. In fact, so much of the program was similar to Sonar that it really made Microsoft Movie Maker seem unnecessarily "weird".

The learning curve is still pretty steep, though. Most of that is terminology. For instance, it took me over an hour to figure out how to create a menu which automatically links to chapters. (I think it's called a "scene selection" menu). Chapters, markers, scenes... it's hard to keep track of which terms I should be searching.

Anyway, I'm very impressed. And I don't regret getting the cheap version. It's plenty powerful for my needs. Just like Sonar. :)

So if anyone else is thinking of grabbing a Sonar-esque video editor, I also recommend Vegas. At amazon, you can it really cheap. I got my "dented box special" for under $35. That's an awesome price, IMO.
    ohhey
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/19 22:48:20 (permalink)

Over the weekend I received Vegas, did a couple tutorials, and was able to create and burn a couple test DVDs. The DVDs played fine (which is not the case with Microsoft Movie Maker).

The audio envelopes were extremely similar to Sonar. In fact, so much of the program was similar to Sonar that it really made Microsoft Movie Maker seem unnecessarily "weird".

The learning curve is still pretty steep, though. Most of that is terminology. For instance, it took me over an hour to figure out how to create a menu which automatically links to chapters. (I think it's called a "scene selection" menu). Chapters, markers, scenes... it's hard to keep track of which terms I should be searching.

Anyway, I'm very impressed. And I don't regret getting the cheap version. It's plenty powerful for my needs. Just like Sonar. :)

So if anyone else is thinking of grabbing a Sonar-esque video editor, I also recommend Vegas. At amazon, you can it really cheap. I got my "dented box special" for under $35. That's an awesome price, IMO.

Yeah.. DVD authoring is a steep learning curve, the "Vegas" part of the program is a lot like Sonar but the "DVD Architect" part is harder then it needs to be. In the big versions they are seperate programs, I don't know how they do it in the cheap one. To be fair all of the DVD authroing software is fairly hard no matter what brand you get. I wish there were more right click menus with text and fewer "object only" stuff. Some more step by step wizards would help.

I agree about Microsoft Movie Maker.. it's works more like a VERY bad Mac program then a Windows program.. what the #$!! were they thinking ? It was their first chance to make Windows attractive to movie makers and they blew it.
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/20 17:10:06 (permalink)

Hello,

You can get extremely far on Movie Studio. It is not a demo at all. Most of the "pro" features in big Vegas are features you will never use anyway. After about a year I upgraded to big Vegas and there are some nice snap features in big Vegas that are not in Studio. Other than that if you are not doing high volume work (or multi-cameras) you probably never have to trade up.

Regarding DVD Architect. Follow this link to rent this training video.

Link: http://smartflix.com/store/video/2291/DVD-Authoring-With-DVD-Architect-3

They should package this training DVD with Vegas. I could not get my head around DVD Architect until out of desperation I rented this video. Even though the version is 3.0 they haven't added any new features. 3.0 is functionally the same as the current version. You'll need to spend about 5 evenings with this training DVD but you'll be banging out DVDs after that. I've made over 100 DVDs (including dual-layer DVDs) over the past year or two, all using DVD Architect.

I don't do forensic audio editing in Vegas (only fades and cuts). For forensic stuff I export the audio and work on it in my preferred editor, Wavelab. Then you can drag the repaired or edited video back on the timeline and mute the original audio.

Good luck on your video adventures!

GK
    Tripecac
    RE: Video Editing - Recommended software for Sonar users? 2007/11/20 18:38:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info! I'm going to try the free tutorials first. And the manual, of course.

Too bad that DVD training series isn't offered by Netflix!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1