SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got?

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/11/14 18:59:06 (permalink)

SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got?

It certainly ain't nuthn like what Simon's book shows (Cakewalk's site seems to avoid showing anything) ; no controls at all, pretty much. What's going on here?

Do I have to use CC# (well. NRPNS azctually to just get Chorus) and draw?

Anybody?

Nick

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

10 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/14 20:35:44 (permalink)
    .............the drums part. You are not supposed to touch the drums part.

and it's not _really_ much use touching the melodic part either.
    - the envelope affects both cutoff and volume.
    - you have no sustain control and the actual patch sets this for you.

And that's in 5 minutes.

So that's the TTS and the Groove synth ....

grumble grumble
    Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2007/11/14 20:54:06

Nick
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 02:03:15 (permalink)

My impression is it's basically a big preset machine / rompler at heart, based on all the great Roland legacy sounds. The synthesis functions are somewhat limited, but you can still program radically different sounds using what's there, and with a controller you can basically record all the synth parameters on the fly. I haven't figured out how to save user patches yet. Seems to have the same synth parameters as TTS minus the reverb / chorus, but a lot more in the sound pool, and not multi timbral. Is that the impression you get?

I am not an expert
    OldNick
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 02:25:34 (permalink)
    I hope it does not have the same quirks as TTS when it comes to saving your patches!

I liked the multi-timbral nature of the TTS-1, but I gave up looking for an elegant way to reliably save and recall user stuff.

Actually, if you look under the hood at NRPNs in the Piano Roll view, there are a heap of controls for Chorus and Reverb etc. However, as you say, it's player. Anything with an ADR only envelope that does bot Amp and Filter at the same time is sicko.

You also cannot apply FX to drum parts, let alone individual drums. The TTS is excellent for this, as long as you don't mind fighting its idio(T?)syncracies! <G>

A bit disappointing.

Nick

Nick
    OldNick
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 03:59:45 (permalink)
    Grumble grumble

You set the Cutoff down and the tone changes over time for each note.

You use the Character Knob and the sound changes from note to note.

I am n not that happy with the samples anyway. I reckon the TTS-1 is better.

I keep gnawing at it to see if it stops handing me gristle.......

Nick

Nick
    kayehl
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 04:08:55 (permalink)
    Saving in TTS seemed to work for me as long as i saved both the patch and the bank.
    i got some interesting effects with the parameters in TTS, i'll have to try programming them in groovesynth and see what i come up with.

I am not an expert
    OldNick
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 05:07:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kayehl

Saving in TTS seemed to work for me as long as i saved both the patch and the bank.
    i got some interesting effects with the parameters in TTS, i'll have to try programming them in groovesynth and see what i come up with.

Can you go through the TTS-1 save process step by step, and then how you start up if you reopen the project?

stevemcg69 and I have been throwing this back and forth. We came up with a rather messy solution that worked. If you have a cleaner one we would both like to know I am sure! <G>

Thanks

Nick

Nick
    kayehl
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 19:14:12 (permalink)

On TTS, i make my patch then save the preset to a bank. this is in the screen that pops up where you edit the presets.

Then down beside or under the fader there's a place i click and save the user bank. This saves the bank as a .gmb file or something like that. (edit: its not gmb i'll have to look up what the file extension is.)

Next time i use TTS i click down by the fader and find my .gmb file and load it. Then when i click to choose programs i can choose any of the factory sounds or any from my user bank i have loaded. When i create more presets i save them to blank slots in the same bank and save the bank again.
    post edited by kayehl - 2007/11/15 19:26:59

I am not an expert
    OldNick
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 20:31:51 (permalink)
    I am OK with most of that. But I save the Bank by clicking on the name of the drumset/Instrument ,in the preset edit screen. I am not sure about near a fader.

Then when I reopen I load that bank. Sometimes it brings up something I have saved, others it's all Standard Set / Piano 1" again. Same Loaded Bank.

Nick
    kayehl
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/15 23:32:52 (permalink)

it's a .gmn file
    Does it let you name the .gmn file when you save it? The same .gmn file can be loaded in any of the banks except for the rhythm bank i think. So there can be 500 user presets available at one time.

Sometimes it brings up something I have saved, others it's all Standard Set / Piano 1" again. Same Loaded Bank.

i can't figure out why the same bank would be differnt unless there are banks with the same name in differnt folders.

But I save the Bank by clicking on the name of the drumset/Instrument ,in the preset edit screen.

I click beside the fader to save / load the banks, it's on the same menu where you change presets. i never saved the bank from the edit screen before i'll have to try that.

I am not an expert
    OldNick
    RE: SONAR 7 Groovesynth-What have _I_ got? 2007/11/16 01:17:36 (permalink)
    Ah Gotcha! I click on the name in the patch change setup, because that's where I have been making changes. _I_ did not realise that you could click the name next to the fader! <G>

However.... it is behaving this time. I placed my save in a folder that I use, under MIDI, because I am paranoid about losing everything during a re-install. I am wondering if that has something to do with it. TTS defaults to gmn even if you are working with drums, but I deliberately named my test bank MyRhythm, and MyNormal, so I can't accidentally grab the wrong type of file.

But it has definitely loaded and lost the names more often than not for me. stevemcg69 has had the same problem. I am still trying to see a pattern stevemcg69 came up with a solution that works all the time, but is, to quote "not very elegant" <G>.

I can consistently reproduce the symptom by not loading the Bank at startup. I hope this has not all been about me being daft again.
    I don't think that's it though, because would sometimes load a bank and see _1_ different drumset in there after I had saved two or more.
    Nick

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1