Dimension Pro guitars?

Author
finrod
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 215
2007/11/17 01:39:06 (permalink)

Dimension Pro guitars?

Just wondering whether anyone has an opinion on what the guitar patches included with Dimension Pro are like?? I would be interested in using many of Dim Pro's patches, but the guitars are of particular interest to me, because I probably can't afford a decent guitar/amp setup at the moment. (I am sort of an "ex-guitarist... I used to play an electric and I currently own a cheapo bottom-of-the-range steel string acoustic. I also have a midi controller keyboard and can play piano). Especially I would like to know people's opinions on the steel string acoustic patches... and how do I get a "strummed" sound out of Dimension Pro?? I am also perhaps interested in some of the electric guitar patches too - do they sound passable?

18 Replies Related Threads

joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/17 05:01:22 (permalink)
    there's not a huge amount of guitars. they are pretty decent, though. being that it's only an 8gb library...it won't give you huge numbers of everything.
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2007/11/17 05:12:43
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/17 17:13:57 (permalink)
    I didn't think they were that useful until I saw the Sonar demo last year and the demonstrator put them to excellent use. It can be done, just don't ask me how ;^)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    finrod
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/17 18:02:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

I didn't think they were that useful until I saw the Sonar demo last year and the demonstrator put them to excellent use. It can be done, just don't ask me how ;^)

Which Sonar demo?? Is it on youtube?

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/17 21:01:17 (permalink)
    Any instrument converted to a sample set can be sequenced well if you understand the instrument and how to sequence it.

Guitar can be tricky to do well. Its all about how you go about setting the cords because it's not played like a piano.
    everdream
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/17 23:14:19 (permalink)
    The Dim Pro guitars are usable, but they certainly can't replace a good guitar track laid down by a competent guitarist. This is probably true of any sampled guitar. However, the Dim Pro patches are quite usable, just plan out ahead of time exactly how you plan to use the types of guitar sounds it provides. In Project5, you can use the arpeggiator to automatically produce some picking/strum patterns which might work perfectly with the samples. Don't forget that Dim Pro has built in FX that can further customize the sounds. AND there are plenty of great free VST FXs which can also do wonders for guitar tracks (or any track that might need simulated tube amplifier warmth, or vintage distortion/fuzz, wah, etc.).

While I'm at it, I'll ask the obvious... since you're a guitar player, why don't you just record the tracks yourself?
    finrod
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/17 23:43:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: everdream
    While I'm at it, I'll ask the obvious... since you're a guitar player, why don't you just record the tracks yourself?

Like I said in my original post... I can't afford a decent guitar setup at the moment. I would need to at least buy a mic for to record my acoustic, and even then it is a piece of garbage acoustic so it would probably sound terrible recorded. And then I would like to get some electric guitar as well - buying an electric guitar + amp setup can be quite expensive. Also, I am not as good at guitar as I am at keyboards. Was considering getting Dimension Pro anyhow (for stuff other than guitars), so to know it has decent guitars as well would be a real bonus and perhaps save me some cash.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/18 02:32:30 (permalink)
    buying an electric guitar + amp setup can be quite expensive.

Fender strat squier =$179- 199 Marshall 15 watt amp cost $139

I am not as good at guitar as I am at keyboards

with that said, midi guitar synth will lack the feel, sound, emotion and those neuaunses that you get from a real guitar
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    finrod
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/18 02:42:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

buying an electric guitar + amp setup can be quite expensive.

Fender strat squier =$179- 199 Marshall 15 watt amp cost $139

Hmmmm strats... eww. The kind of guitar I like is something like the one BB King plays (ES335?? semi-acoustic). I think there is maybe an Epiphone version available but still not too cheap. By the way, what sort of sound would I get from those amp-simulator VST plugins I see around the place? Could I get by without an amp altogether? And would I need something like one of those Line 6 Toneport thingies, or are they only for acoustic guitars?
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/18 13:01:31 (permalink)
    Finrod,

it was the live demo guy they sent around. And it was acoustic, not electric guitar, and your later posts seem to mean electric.

sorry.

@
    ORIGINAL: finrod

Which Sonar demo?? Is it on youtube?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    everdream
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/18 14:46:26 (permalink)

Hmmmm strats... eww. The kind of guitar I like is something like the one BB King plays (ES335?? semi-acoustic). I think there is maybe an Epiphone version available but still not too cheap. By the way, what sort of sound would I get from those amp-simulator VST plugins I see around the place? Could I get by without an amp altogether? And would I need something like one of those Line 6 Toneport thingies, or are they only for acoustic guitars?

Fretted Synth makes a great free VST FX plugin called FreeAmp2. Check it out here: http://asseca.com/frettedsynth/index.html Cakewalk's Amp Sim is also pretty nice, but you don't have the variety of amp modeling that comes with other products such as Amplitube (I still like the original) and NI's Guitar Rig. There is a ton of stuff on KVRaudio - you need to spend some time there checking out your options.

Another option to consider: borrow a friend's electric guitar and record it straight into your soundcard, clean. Then you can use a VST FX plugin like FreeAmp2 and tweak the sound to your liking. But, if you need to get the sound/feel of an acoustic, with all the strumming and other nuances, then nothing comes close to recording the real thing. A decent microphone can be purchased between $100 - $300 which you could use for both instrument and vocal miking (if you choose wisely).

Dim Pro has some of those "nuance" sounds also - which lets you create a more realistic guitar track sound. I use these regularly to add that feel to a guitar track which is totally in the box. No need to do that when you record a real guitar though! Bottom Line: I think you can accomplish your goal with Dim Pro's sounds - but it won't be a quick/easy thing. You'll need to do some planning, tweaking and programming. But it can be done. I am a huge Dim Pro fanboy - it makes its way onto *every* song I create.

P.S. (and OT) I thought that BB King's Lucille is a Gibson ES-345. Nice guitar. My dad plays one, as well as three different vintage Martins and an old National resophonic. He's a guitar purist and delta blues afficionado. I play keys and am happy with a Fender Strat and a Martin D-28. Someday, I'll add a Les Paul and perhaps a clone of the ES-345.
    finrod
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/18 22:30:48 (permalink)

Finrod,

it was the live demo guy they sent around. And it was acoustic, not electric guitar, and your later posts seem to mean electric.

sorry.

No problem AT, I would actually like to get both acoustic and electric sounds, so I wouldn't necessarily be sticking to just an electric.
    rkl122
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/11/28 23:30:34 (permalink)
    Dim Pro has some of those "nuance" sounds also - which lets you create a more realistic guitar track sound. I use these regularly to add that feel to a guitar track which is totally in the box. No need to do that when you record a real guitar though! Bottom Line: I think you can accomplish your goal with Dim Pro's sounds - but it won't be a quick/easy thing. You'll need to do some planning, tweaking and programming. But it can be done.

So the Martin sounds you find here (under Listen...) are not just out of box? How much tweaking needed to get sounds like these? (If not too difficult, they'd be worth the current DimPro upgrade offer to me.)

Thx, Ron
    Widetrack
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/12/10 02:41:36 (permalink)
    That's partly true. It's fairly easy to figure out how to voice a chord like a guitar does. and you can even simulate a strum by arpegiating your chords rapidly instead of hitting all notes in a chord simultaneously and doing it low-to-high and high-to-low for downstrokes and upstrokes, respectively.

But there is still the matter of phrasing and sustaining, and those are always what drives me to call a guitarist. I am actually in the process of putting together a song with an simple-sounding, Johnny Cash-type of backbeat strum. I have some very good samples and did all the stuff I just mentioned, but for the life of me couldn't get the feel of what sustained for how long and what got muted.

I finally called in a guy who's just sort of semi-pro, and he just laid the part down without even thinking about it. It was amazing after all the messing around I'd done.

I may try to match up, note-for-note a MIDI pattern against his audio lines, to get a SD2 pattern out of it, but what the hell, this stuff gets silly after a while.
    wyndham
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/12/15 10:11:01 (permalink)
    The guitars that have been mentioned, are they in the base DM Pro or the free expansion packs? Are there any new ones with the EMU packs that have recently been anounced.
    Thanks Wyndham
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/12/15 10:30:04 (permalink)
    The guitars that have been mentioned, are they in the base DM Pro or the free expansion packs?
    From a quick glance, I'd say the base DimPro edition. There are dozens of variations found in XP-1 and XP-2 as well.
    Are there any new ones with the EMU packs that have recently been anounced.
    Yes. The "original" DSP Volume 1 has many guitar selections. I believe that those use the sampled content from DP, XP-1, and XP-2.
    DSP Mo' Phatt and DSP Proteus 200 also have a ton of guitar programs, and they're based on sample content included with each individual pack.
    philo156
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/12/17 00:53:17 (permalink)
    I think Dimension Pro is a pretty amazing sample/synth plug. But guitars are very tough to sample well and if you want truely realistic samples you'll probably want to get a libary dedicated to that. The best acoustic one I am aware of is here: Acoustic Legends. I play guitar professionally but man - the range of instruments and sound quality of this pakage would be very expensive to try and duplicate with real intruments/mics - lot of different guitars sampled really well. Chris Heins Guitars are good for electric (but not cheap). East West guitar samples in Ministry of Rock are also good. BTW - you'll get a better price on any of those from a site other than the home site of the developers.

But if you are planning to get Dimension anyway (and its a great value IMO - lot of other great sounds as well) you could give those a try and see how you like 'em. And in the mean time - just practice you guitar! You can do as many takes as you need to get a good track (and no one will be watching )

"stop looking at me!"
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/12/17 01:25:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: finrod

Just wondering whether anyone has an opinion on what the guitar patches included with Dimension Pro are like?? I would be interested in using many of Dim Pro's patches, but the guitars are of particular interest to me, because I probably can't afford a decent guitar/amp setup at the moment. (I am sort of an "ex-guitarist... I used to play an electric and I currently own a cheapo bottom-of-the-range steel string acoustic. I also have a midi controller keyboard and can play piano). Especially I would like to know people's opinions on the steel string acoustic patches... and how do I get a "strummed" sound out of Dimension Pro?? I am also perhaps interested in some of the electric guitar patches too - do they sound passable?

I glanced over your thread ......Guitar is my thang ..and rather than getting caught up in the various yays and nays of what constitutes a convincing guitar sound ...
    I will just offer my opinion on the Dim Pro guitar sounds...
    I think they are suprisingly good and usable ...
    I happen to like the Martin Steel alot ..and there are a few others that I feel are decent
    for someone who needs a variety of guitar sounds I think they are a good place to start
    if you are know your way around with the typical ways a guitarist treats their signal chain with exf and genre you would probaly be good to go ...

personaly I just play whatever guitar I happen to think works best for my song
    I've got a few .....and some cool vintage amps ......that some day I want to sample for other folks to enjoy

OT ..for a long time I have considered learning how to create a sample library of some of my guitars and amp sounds for the Dim Pro ......I probaly need to read up on some B Rock and take the time to put my nose to the grind stone...
    when it comes to tone ...it's all in the feel and touch ....when using a guitar

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/12/17 01:45:06

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

philo156
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Dimension Pro guitars? 2007/12/17 14:44:43 (permalink)
    That Martin Steel String does sound good and there's a strumming patch too that sounds really good. The 'Twelve String with Pad' sounds nice and and there's a patch in the first expansion pack called 'Unplugged Blacksnake' that also sounds good. Check out the demos if you haven't already.

Personally, I think I'm gonna wait for Kenny's samples to come out.

"stop looking at me!"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1