tracks still bleeding trying not to give up

Author
horus2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 229
2007/11/18 17:40:10 (permalink)

tracks still bleeding trying not to give up

O.K. I tried line in and no go. Trying not to get frustrated. Are there other problems that could cause this track bleed? Someone told me to mute the Stereo Mix in recording volume. I actually only have,rear mic/mic/and line in options. I don't have any options that say mono or stereo mix. Does this mean something? I don't think it's the soundcard. I also have something called imput monitor which is checked mute. Could that be something?

19 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/18 20:16:21 (permalink)
    Try unmuting it and see what happens. I'm not sure how it fits with the built-in sound.
    I bumped my Track Bleed thread. Note that you need to select the various options that will show in the controls.
    If this raises any flags for you let us know.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/18 21:35:51 (permalink)
    Many sound cards are set up to record whatever is played, what you are hearing. The different brands call it different things, like "WhatUhear" for Sound Blaster cards, input echo, etc. Plus, many of the Cakewalk programs have a similar option, under 'Recording Options', called overwrite. If you don't see the recording options toolbar to see what it's set at, go to 'view>toolbars' in MC, or right-click in an empty gray space at the top, and check the record option. The three choices are Sound on Sound, Overwrite, and Punch-in. Sound on Sound is what you want.
    Maybe that's the problem.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/19 11:28:26 (permalink)
    nope. It was already set for sound on sound.
    horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/19 11:31:23 (permalink)
    I've been over the track bleed thread many times and everything is setup right. The only difference is I don't seem to have a stereo mix option as I said. I tried again today with my original settings and it worked. No track bleed just as it did once before. Tried again later on changing no settings and once again track bleed. I'm startin to think my software is just messed up.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/19 13:29:28 (permalink)
    greg - are you sure about that? I'm not at home and can't verify, but from the sound of it, I would think that sound on sound is what would be causing bleed, not preventing it. I would think that OVERWRITE would cause a track not to have the previous track played back alongside the newly recorded one.

horus - just try that and see what happens. also - try turning on the "layers", there's a little bitty icon at the far top righ of the track properties that looks kind of like this:
    ---
    ---
    ---
    except much smaller - click on that and it should open up your track to show all the layers of your recordings in that track. then you can delete or mute previous ones that you no longer want.

maybe that is the problem you're having - but maybe not.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/19 22:00:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, Reese, it does sound odd. Sound on sound would seem to be the one that would record each subsequent track on the others, but it doesn't. It was the default setting, and I only changed it once to overwrite to see if it would re-record, and it did. No bleeding with sos.
    Dennis's problem has been going on for awhile. What else could it be? Some sound card thing?
    Dennis, you said the input monitor is checked "mute". Does it read "mute" or by checking it did you turn it on?
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Beagle
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/19 23:13:06 (permalink)
    I'm really not sure what else it might be at this point. there must be some setting somewhere that he's not got, but I simply can't think of anywhere else to point him.

57Gregy
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/20 21:46:08 (permalink)
    Everyone, ignore what I wrote about the Record Options. It has nothing to do with Horus's question. I actually went into the help file and read what it was! Not applicable here. Sorry for the misinformation.
    Greg

Greg 

horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/23 09:56:03 (permalink)
    The overwrite didn't work. I'm using MC3 and couldn't see the track layers icon. If I could find it this might be the best option so far. You said the upper right corner? Is it something that I have to turn on from somewhere in order to see? Where we are right now is I can record and not get track bleeding only when the speakers are hooked up to the PC. I run the instrument through the mixer which is hooked to the PC use the headphones to record. When I run the line out from the PC to the mixer so I can hear what's being played on cakewalk without listening to the speakers through the air =track bleed.
    57Gregy
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/23 10:50:17 (permalink)
    Well, there's your problem: you're recording to the pc from the mixer-the output from the mixer is going to the pc-the pc is going out to the mixer....and back into the pc, thus recording everything that is going out to the mixer.
    Try running the line out from the pc to a stereo receiver, mute the receiver so you don't hear it, and monitor from there, or plug your instrument directly into the pc so the mixer's output isn't being fed back to the mixer/pc, monitoring from the mixer.
    Greg

Greg 

RobertB
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/23 12:21:27 (permalink)
    Horus,
    If you have the mixer connected exactly as it is in the pic in the other thread, make sure the CD/TAPE TO MIX button is NOT punched down. This sends the signal back through the computer, justa as Greg described.
    Punch ONLY the CD/TAPE TO CTRL button. If everything else is connected correctly, this won't cross the signal path to the computer input.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/24 09:53:29 (permalink)
    Well....It seems I did have the CD/Tape to mix button pressed. Now that I have the CD/Tape to CTRL button pressed, I can record without track bleed, BUT the problem is I can't hear the instrument that is plugged into the mixer, only what is coming from the PC. When I hit echo imput on the track, I can for some strange reason hear the instrument, however it is delayed and echoed. I know I don't want that on. I think this happened before and that's why I hit the CD/Tape to mix button as it allowed me to hear the instrument in the mixer and the drums from the PC. Now I know I can't record like that however. I have the same setup from the other thread so the new problem is how to hear the instrument that is plugged into the mixer?
    57Gregy
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/24 11:19:52 (permalink)
    Remind us what your sound card is. The echo effect is latency. Go to 'options>audio'. What is the latency reading? See if you can move the latency slider more to the 'fast' side, although doing so may cause pops or other audio noise.
    If the problem can't be solved with your current sound card and pc, connecting like I said will work.
    Greg

Greg 

horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/24 12:36:14 (permalink)
    Actually I'm running through a mixer, so I've gotten rid of the latency problem.
    RobertB
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/24 19:49:39 (permalink)
    Horus,
    I have reconfigured my setup to duplicate what you have.
    Look at your Windows Playback Volume control. If Line In is NOT muted I can hear the instrument I am recording, as well as the tracks that are playing. In Windows Recording control, Line in is selected. There is no latency, as you would get from having Input Echo turned on in MC.
    That Input Monitor you mentioned may be a key. It appears that there may be subtle variations in how our sound cards are implemented, and that may be the problem. For this exercise, I am using my built-in Intel sound chip(it uses the AC97 protocol).
    Let us know if this helps, or what you see that is different. I am beginning to think your sound chip is the culprit. Even though they show up as AC97, they are not all the same.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/29 07:49:47 (permalink)
    We'll...I unmuted the imput monitor and it worked. I tried again couple days later and it still works. Tried it on the laptop which has no option that I can see for imput monitor and it didn't work. So hopefully it will at least continue to work on this PC. Also could be my imagination, but I could swear for a split second it didn't work on the PC and i turned the cord going from PC out to the control room on the mixer and then it worked. I wondering if there is a problem with this cord or the mixer. One more question. Does anyone know what Beagle is trying to describe about a track icon that lets you see the layers you've recorded?
    Beagle
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/29 11:13:24 (permalink)
    horus - do you have MC4? if not, then the layer icon isn't there. if you have MC4, then I'll post a picture of it when i get time maybe tonite.

horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2007/11/30 07:49:06 (permalink)
    Nope MC3. Too bad that would have come in handy.
    horus2
    RE: tracks still bleeding trying not to give up 2008/02/09 12:36:20 (permalink)
    Bump. Remember I have the same setup as RoberB picture. Also track bleeding is no longer the problem. Not being able to hear what I'm recording while recording is. Still trying:)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1