RStar

Author
variaxman
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 596
2007/11/18 19:56:10 (permalink)

RStar

Here is a little tune I am collabarating on with a lyricist....having a hard time with the mix..there is 4 tracks of electric guitar, a track of acoustic guitar, bass and drums,also lead and backing vocals...to my ears...the bass guitar and drums are really fighting for space and seem kinda muddy...need to give my ears a break and thought it would be helpful to hear others opinions/feedback...
here is a streaming link:
RStar

And a download:
RStar-Download
post edited by variaxman - 2007/11/18 20:08:16

9 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: RStar 2007/11/19 00:31:14 (permalink)
    If the bass and drums were fighting, it appears that the drums have won. I couldn't hear a lot of bass happening in there, and that's the main thing I think the song needs.

If you're having trouble getting the bass up in the mix without clashing with the kick, try rolling off the bottom below 80-100Hz and boost around 300Hz or so. A harmonic exciter can add some midrange to the bass so it cuts through better without having to be as loud.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: RStar 2007/11/19 00:33:44 (permalink)
    Very good song instrumentally, but I can't really understand the lyrics, so I can't comment on them. Would maybe think about kicking up the drums and bass a little. Some great guitar work and composition. Play with it and then let's hear version 2. Good stuff.

DuRod
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: RStar 2007/11/19 13:24:24 (permalink)
    Immediately the song sounds like it's muffled under a pillow. Have you tried using the Vintage VST for your guitar tracks and even the drums? I've used the Vintage "Master Mix" preset on the Master channel and that's really helped out some of my songs - polished them off rather well.

It sounds like the guitar in the left channel is either too hot or needs some EQ adjustment to bring down some mid to mid-high frequencies.

Also, the bass could get some help by doing an expand/compress trick with X-Cita VST (free download).

Hi energy and true to your style. Nice work. I will forward to hearing an update.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: RStar 2007/11/20 21:38:59 (permalink)
    V, the song has lots of energy and drive, and as usual very good guitar work. But I don't think the mix is up to your usual standards. The bass is almost not there, the kick sounds wooden, guitars sound muddy and indistinct. I speak as one who typically admires your work. I get the 80s thing here, but as a composition your work is usually much more unique and distinctly yours. Maybe your ears were tired, it happens to me. JMHO. My lesser experience may be taken into consideration.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: RStar 2007/11/20 22:21:45 (permalink)
    Kickin tune here Vman, but I agree with some of the others about the mix. I'm not sure where to tell you to start, but I'll try. The vocals dont seem to have any presence in the mix. Perhaps you can try getting a good clear drum and bass mix, then bring the vocals in and eq them to fit with the drums and bass. Then eq and pan the guitars to fit into the mix. Just a suggestion. I like this tune and look forward to hearing your finished version.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: RStar 2007/11/21 02:47:39 (permalink)
    Hi V,

Great song, wonderful energy about it, really cracks along. The vocals remind me of Peter Gabriel's 1st & 2nd solo albums, 'Animal Magic' 'On The Air', that kind thing...I think it's that loose double tracking, sounds nice.

So, mix-wise I think everyone above has said it, it is very muddy. I'd maybe get busy with the hi-pass filters for a start, and try and get the bass up there, this song could use a really upfront bass guitar.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    variaxman
    RE: RStar 2007/11/23 11:32:47 (permalink)
    New mix:
    Streaming

download

Hi guys...thanks for all the great feedback! It seems the underlying theme here is a lack of bass guitar, and overall muddy mix....I have attempted to take the advice given and maker corrections....per bitflipper, I cut a bit off the bass @ 90hz, and boosted at 300 hz...tried to make the vocals clearer by removing almost all the reverb on the lead vocal, (I left a bit on the backing), as suggested by DuRod....adjusted the level of the left side guitar, and tried to genrally add some high end sparkle to the overall mix....for some reason I am having a hard time getting any of my vst plugins to work, I really want to try the plugins AsherLongley mentoined...
    mcouter,thanks for the kind words...I did post this one earlier in its development than I usually post my songs...so it is really rough,it's the ist thing I have recorded in some time so I was pretty excited to get back at it,but my ears are more outta wack than usual
    rsp@odyssey.net,great advice, I did try to take it back to bass and drums and slowly bring evreything back in...
    jamesg1213Wow...thanks for the Peter Gabriel refrence...definetly one of my favorite vocalist!!Check out my new mix and let me know if some of the mud is gone!
    CBman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: RStar 2007/11/23 15:14:22 (permalink)
    Hey Variaxman,

I listened to the 2 versions, and it's a already a lot better !! I like the song. The low end still needs some work : bass guitar is still a bit to much in the back of the mix, and the kick still sounds tiny, but your on the right track now !

Bye,
    Cbman.

variaxman
    RE: RStar 2007/11/24 10:38:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CBman

Hey Variaxman,

I listened to the 2 versions, and it's a already a lot better !! I like the song. The low end still needs some work : bass guitar is still a bit to much in the back of the mix, and the kick still sounds tiny, but your on the right track now !

Bye,
    Cbman.

Thanks CBman...I think I have a pretty agressive bass guitar tone on this to start with this...was kinda shooting for a Chris Squire/Geddy Lee trably "lead bass" kinda sound....I will try and fatten it up a bit...thanks for the feedback!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1