volume issue

Author
tmartin92
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/11/19 21:37:14 (permalink)

volume issue

Hey folks,

Thanks again to those who replied to my last few posts. I'm up and running and doing much better thanks to your suggestions.

My question today is about the volume of my mixed .wav, .wma, or .mp3 files. They're too low. Compared to my other music files, they're only about half as loud. This seems odd because, when I mix, the meters are all scratching the "red" zone.

In other words, I can't turn up the track volumes any more when I mix than they are or I'll clip.

Any idea what may be causing this? Did I just record my original track too low? Would that matter?

Regards,
Tom

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: volume issue 2007/11/19 23:02:42 (permalink)
    Hi tom,
    OT - you know every time I see your nickname, it makes me think of T Martin, QB of TN Vols during their last national championship in 1998-99!

anyway - back to our regularly scheduled help...

the reason that your music doesn't sound as loud as commercial music is because of what's called the "loudness wars". commercial music has been compressing the songs more and more over the last 2 decades. they limit the songs to 0dB (or very near it) and compress the song so much that the lowest levels of the song are nearly as high as the highest. basically it makes the wave file look more like a brick.

that means that they have lost all of the dynamic range of the song because it's all very close to the same level.

do a search on this in the forums and you'll find this topic discussed regularly. here's one:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1159784
    here's another:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1131280

there are a lot of them. if you want to bring your levels up some, you can use a compressor or limiter on the master bus and that will help bring the overall volume up to a larger level. but of course, the more you compress, the less dynamic range you have, it's a trade off.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: volume issue 2007/11/20 06:43:13 (permalink)
    One way I do this, is when I record (let's say a guitar track) I'll get it so that it meters out in the yellow zone. I try and balance the peak in between green and red. That way the input of the instrument is getting a strong signal recorded. I'll than place the track volume all the 12 to 12db, and than bounce the track down, while adjusting the master fader so that the 12db track isn't clipping. Now you have a strong recorded signal, with the track volume rendered to 12db. I'll sometimes double the tracks too to add more depth and body as well. Theres all sort of tricks you can use, plus throwe some EQ on a track bringing up some of the high and cutting the lows and you'll be suprised at how the track comes to life as they say; it's really all about experimenting I guess. And a Limiter and Multiband Compressor are great too. There are a lot of freebies on the internet. Just google em.

Good Luck!

Bryant
    post edited by shredheadinstead - 2007/11/20 06:55:52
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: volume issue 2007/11/20 22:04:39 (permalink)
    Double- or triple-tracking all your audio also will help, and it's easier to simply clone the track, which makes an exact copy.
    I don't do my converting in the computer. I run all my sound through a mixer and then to my audio CD recorder, adjusting the level with my mixer's master to the recorder's maximum input without clipping. It's always loud enough,
    Whatever you're using to mix down to, and record on a CD, see if it has an option, or preference for volume leveling, dynamic compression, or normalizing. Keep in mind that you may not like the result. Some of those things don't sound great when they're done.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: volume issue 2007/11/20 23:12:46 (permalink)
    Did I just record my original track too low? Would that matter?

If you are just scratching the red zone, you are in range. Your levels are where Bryant and Greg are suggesting. Focus on getting a clean track recorded for now. You will learn the tricks to get it to sound louder as you go. If you try to get as loud as the commercial mixes without the tricks, it will bite you. This is what Beagle is talking about. As you make your way, things like double tracking, EQ, compression will make sense, and as you learn to use the tools and techniques, your mixes will fatten up.
    As an example of triple tracking, click on Highland Dawn in my Soundclick page. The strong guitar is three tracks recorded independently, not cloned.
    post edited by RobertB - 2007/11/20 23:30:18

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1