networking problems

Author
ilynx
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2007/11/20 13:57:24 (permalink)

networking problems

hi all,
i'm trying to set up a little network so that i can run software like fx teleport and maxivista to extend the life of my current computers. here is what i want to be able to do:

1. use a crossover cable to connect the two computers directly, and run the software using this connection.

2. still be able to use a wireless network to access the internet from either or both computers, but not necessarily at the same time as the wired network is functioning between the two computers.

so far, i have connected the two computers together with the crossover cable, but can only get a ping response from my desktop when sent from my laptop. when i try it the other way, the request times out. both are using the most up to date versions of XP SP 2.

if i haven't provided enough info, please let me know and i'll add whatever is needed.

tia,
ilynx

Windows XP Home
Athlon 2200+XP
512mb PC2700 ram
Event EZBus
Sonar 4PE

3 Replies Related Threads

wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: networking problems 2007/11/20 14:28:32 (permalink)
    I believe you'll have to do one of two things:

Setup static IP addresses for both machine adapters connected via the crossover cable. Then add entries in the LMHOSTS file to allow access by name, or just use the assigned IP addresses. I'm not too clear on this type of setup so I'd have to mess with it until it did what I wanted to... but that's the basic I believe...

Or...
    Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the wired adapter on one of the machines. Setup the other machine as getting the IP address automatically, which is generally the default setup. That will enable a DNS server and assign an IP (probably a 192.168...) to the other machine. Then they should be able to ping back and forth using their computer names.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: networking problems 2007/11/20 15:00:17 (permalink)
    You might try temporarily disabling the firewall to make sure that there's nothing going on there.

Really all you need to do is go into network properties for each computer and set a static IP - something like 192.168.1.1 and x.x.1.2 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and no default gateway or DNS server information. From there you should have connectivity.

Then, you'll want to right click on specific folders and choose the 'share' option from the context menu and give the appropriate permissions.

Then connect to the other machine using \\192.168.1.x

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap 4 port hub or switch and use standard cables and do the exact same thing with the IP addressing (or if the device is also a router it can dynamically assign and IP address to the devices connecting to it).

A lot of ways to skin the cat - but it's very straightforward.

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: networking problems 2007/11/20 21:11:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, check the firewall settings. If you can Ping in one direction that line is good. If you can't ping in the other direction then something is blocking it, and most likely a firewall.

Also, agree with the idea of purchasing a hub. This will add a hardware firewall between the machines and the internet as well. Allows you to add additional machines at a latter time. And you can get a wireless router for about $50 at Walmart ($90 if you want 802.11N).

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1