Redbook Audio Specs.

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2007/11/20 21:59:32 (permalink)

Redbook Audio Specs.

I need to create a master CD for a duplication facility that meets "Redbook Audio Specs"

I have the following questions:

1) Digital Audio encoding: 2-channel signed 16 bit PCM sampled at 44100 (how do I do this?)

2) International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) should be recorded on CD-R's to appear on the replicated disks (I have the codes but how do I record them on the disks??!!)

3) They need all files to be AIFF files.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott

4 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Redbook Audio Specs. 2007/11/20 22:18:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spindlebox

I need to create a master CD for a duplication facility that meets "Redbook Audio Specs"

I have the following questions:

1) Digital Audio encoding: 2-channel signed 16 bit PCM sampled at 44100 (how do I do this?)

2) International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) should be recorded on CD-R's to appear on the replicated disks (I have the codes but how do I record them on the disks??!!)

3) They need all files to be AIFF files.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks!
    Scott

Get another duplicaition vendor, they are being too picky. Sounds like they are Mac guys tring to show off. Your CD burning software should have a place to put the ISRC code in or they should be able to do it for you. I think in Nero it's called UPC/EAN code it's on the Audio CD tab in the new Compilation dialog.

By the way there is NO file format on a red book CD like AIFF or WAV so they are full of $hit from the start. It makes no difference what file type you start with the CD burning software is just going to have to recode it as red book data (Reed-Solomon) anyway.

However, your songs should be exported at 44.1 and 16bit so the CD Burning software doesn't have to do anything extra with them. Some burning software will bit reduce if needed but it's best to let Sonar do that with Pow-r dither. If you do any mastering (and it sounds like you don't) then you export at 24bit and do the bit reduction with dither to 16bit as your last step but agian it doesn't sound like you do any of that so just export at 44.1 / 16bit directly from Sonar.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/11/20 22:33:11
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Redbook Audio Specs. 2007/11/20 22:30:45 (permalink)
    ohhey is right

I have done this countless times and I have never had to send aiff files and sepparate ISRC codes (which are optional unless it will be a commercially distributed disk) to a replication house. You would need to create a replication ready CD audio disk in order to put the codes on yourself anyway. Programs like CD architect will allow you to input all the codes in the PQ editor which also contains information like track length gaps and track titles. Most all legidimate duplicators wll accept a "replication-ready" CDA disk from any source.
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Redbook Audio Specs. 2007/11/21 07:28:07 (permalink)
    Hello and thanks to you both!
    It's a "Create Space" site run by Amazon.com where they get your master and allow you to sell it from you page; they print as it is ordered. It's an easy (and cheap) way to sell CD's without batch pressing, though I have to go through this BS first.

Yeah, it sounds like they're being picky, though I may be able to accommodate them with what I have. I have PA 9, and also Audacity, which looks as if it will be able to give them the output they need.

I guess my biggest question is, YES, I am trying to do a bit of mastering prior. What I've read is to import all songs into one track in PA 9, Run Audio FX 1 on the master out to adjust compression, EQ, etc. My biggest Q's are what to do after. Do I export as a single file, or each one independently using the settings I establish on the master bus? Excuse my ignorance, but this is a first for me.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: Redbook Audio Specs. 2007/11/21 07:51:40 (permalink)
    Hi Spindlebox..

as you seem to go a more commercial approach I'd contact this guy: http://www.jamzor.com/
    see also: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=839035

I thought there was someone offering also free mixing but it turned out to be this one here, which is also a great alternative:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1206728&mpage=1&key=free�
    go through that last post.. I don't know if he's also doing mixes.

That's just a suggestion as I believe you could really need some help..

best
    Frank

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1