Disk % way up

Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2007/11/21 18:12:12 (permalink)

Disk % way up

I have one project that the disk usage indicator is way up - running in the red most of the time the project is being played and sometimes will even dropout. CPU is about 25-30%

the disk space on the drive where the project is located shows 28759MB (37%)

other projects on the same drive do not do this.

I've bounced all MIDI to audio and archived all MIDI tracks and even deleted all of the synths just so they don't load up in the synth rack.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.

19 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 18:13:48 (permalink)
    audio fx? corrupt wav file?
    you're the answers guy!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 18:21:04 (permalink)
    LOL! Ok, so I guess I should answer myself????

Yeah, I've got a couple of instances of VC64. I'll go freeze those and see if that helps.

dantesjuice
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 364
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 18:21:48 (permalink)
    Iv had that happen to me once a while back and it was caused by some fragmented audio files on the drive.

a de-frag fixed the problem for me =)

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions..."

S6PE | DFH 2 | Reason 3 | Vetta II | PodXTPro | Behringer T1951 | BBE 482 | Nady TMP3 | Presonus Firepod |
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel PD 3.2 | 4 gig PE 800 | WD sata2

www.dantesjuice.com
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 18:24:42 (permalink)
    thanks juice! I'll try that as well.

Acutally I only had one instance of VC64 and freezing that track did help some. it's running about 60% now. Odd, tho, IMO, I've had multiple instances of VC64 before without this behavior.

Deontae
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 19:49:11 (permalink)
    Deontae
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 19:55:23 (permalink)
    I do not have any clue to the topic of discussion but I'm highly interested simply because my choice of career, which is music production,and publishing of films and music dvd's is this topic of any relation?
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 20:19:45 (permalink)
    Try copying the entire project to another spot on the disk and renaming the original. If your issues go away, you may have had a soft spot on the disk that was requiring retries to read it.

I don't think having multiple instances of the VC-64 would increase disk usage, nor would any other plug except for a sampler.

You could also try muting each track in turn, as perhaps silencing one of them will cause a noticeable reduction in I/O. That might help narrow it down.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 21:45:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deontae

I do not have any clue to the topic of discussion but I'm highly interested simply because my choice of career, which is music production,and publishing of films and music dvd's is this topic of any relation?

there are 2 indicators at the bottom right hand part of the window, on is CPU usage, the other is DISK streaming usage.

Try copying the entire project to another spot on the disk and renaming the original. If your issues go away, you may have had a soft spot on the disk that was requiring retries to read it.

That's a good suggestion, Dave.

I don't think having multiple instances of the VC-64 would increase disk usage, nor would any other plug except for a sampler.

I didn't think so, either. I've had multiple instances of VC64 in other projects without this kind of adverse affect.

You could also try muting each track in turn, as perhaps silencing one of them will cause a noticeable reduction in I/O. That might help narrow it down.

Yes, I should have mentioned I did try that, but to no avail. It doesn't seem to matter which track unless it's a combination of tracks, which I haven't tried - that might take a while.

thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back if I find the answer.

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 22:56:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

I have one project that the disk usage indicator is way up - running in the red most of the time the project is being played and sometimes will even dropout. CPU is about 25-30%

the disk space on the drive where the project is located shows 28759MB (37%)

other projects on the same drive do not do this.

I've bounced all MIDI to audio and archived all MIDI tracks and even deleted all of the synths just so they don't load up in the synth rack.

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

Hi Reece,
    hhhmm, not sure if this is what you have going on but when ever I have a high disk usage it means I have a lot of audio tracks going on....
    a few ways I have tamed that disc meter is to apply trimming once I have edited out some of the blank space in my synth tracks ....that were converted to audio
    I dont usualy have a VST synth play through out a whole tune so once the audio is renedered there is a lot of open space I can reclaim by spliting and applying audio trim..
    another thing I like to do is to put my efx on my tracks ...freeze (them) the tracks ...
    once satisfied I will then open up another instance of SONAR and copy the frozen tracks over ...
    I'm of the beleif that once they are copyed over to the new project as audio ..the efx have been rendered to the frozen audio ....
    since the secondary project has been set to the original tempo everything seems to gell nicely and my CPU has shown a significant drop in usage...
    same goes when I take the imported frozen tracks and split edit the dead space...and apply trimming ....the disc usage comes down alot.....
    this is my standard work flow on my old puter and I like the benifit of having 2 projects to play around with ....the original ....and the rendered frozen copyed over project..which has a lot of headroom....as far as CPU and Disc ussage goes....
    not sure if this was the prob you are having ....or if it is a solution to it ...but nonetheless
    I thought I would check in and say hello....and wish you an early Happy Thanksgiving
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jimack
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1814
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/21 23:11:21 (permalink)

I'm not sure muting would do it. I think you would have to archive each track one by one to get them completely out of the stream. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I highly suspect it.

I know when I need to take a track 'out of the picture', muting seems only to do exactly that - preventing the track from sounding. I believe it's still being processed though. When you archive a track, that seems to stop all processing.

I've setup an archive hot key just for this purpose.

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
    doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 00:10:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I agree...I would do a Disk Check in Windows, or whatever disk utility you may have to be sure your drive is physically OK and not reporting any bad sectors....if so, backup and replace ASAP. My C drive (less than one year old Seagate Baracuda) crashed out of the blue yesterday. It totally bit the dust...would not even format or access the drive from Recovery Console off the Windows install CD. Luckily I don't save anything there, so it was just a matter of putting in a new drive and reloading the image...but it taught me.

Donny

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 01:04:52 (permalink)
    Hi Kenny! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
    I don't have a lot of tracks on this project - I've had many more than this before without this problem. there's only 10 active tracks - all the rest are archived. thanks for the tips on moving it to another project - I will probably try that- although it will be a little bit of work since I've already started mixing on this one. I never thought about opening Sonar twice! maybe you're onto something about splitting off the dead space, tho. that might be something to look into. thanks!

Jim - that's a very good point - I'll bet you're right that I'd have to archive the track instead of muting it. i'll also check the disk. hopefully that won't be the problem.

Donny - good suggestion as well. sounds like a bad experience! I'll check that - thanks!

maltastudio
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 09:09:31 (permalink)
    go to audio settings advance and double the playback i/o buffer size.
    if it is 64 make 128 if it is 128 make 512 ect ect that should fix your problem.

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
    Sonar Platinum Latest 64Bit  
    Pro Tools 12.. Latest
    Motu 624 AVB , Yamaha 01v96i
    www.maltastudio.com
    https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 09:18:42 (permalink)
    Charles! That did indeed do it! It was at 128, which must have been the default in Sonar 6. disk usage was at 60%, when I increased it to 512 it went down to >25%!

but there has to be a trade off - I assume that causes Sonar to stream more of the wave files into RAM first, right?

and that probably doesn't solve the root problem, since this is the only project it's happening on - I'm planning on implementing some of the other suggestions above today like diskcheck and defrag, and the other stuff.

but thanks, Charles - that's something I didn't think about.

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 09:38:09 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle, i have my i/o buufer for playback set at 512 all the time. The only i/o buffer i tweak is the recording one. i start at 64 and raise when i see fit to do so. I dont have any lag or problems with it that high.
    ooops Buufer?? yuo know what i mean...LOL
    Also on a side note i recently got a registry repair /cleaner and my pc seems to be slightly faster now.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 11:01:32 (permalink)
    thanks for the info, CJ - how much RAM do you have? I'm just worried that running the I/O buffer that high might cause other problems.

farrarbc
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 646
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 11:56:54 (permalink)
    The trade off on increasing the I/O buffer is RAM - as long as the OS doesn't begin using the page file to compensate as this means more disk read/write on your OS drive.

--BF
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
    Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
    MoonLight Handgrenade DAW
    Win7 64bit
    Intel i7-980
    Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
    24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    (4) 320 GB Seagates
    Beagle
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/22 19:30:08 (permalink)
    That's what I assumed, thanks, BF.

i left my drive defragging when i went to my SIL's for T-day. we'll see how that goes when I get back.

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Disk % way up 2007/11/23 08:16:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

thanks for the info, CJ - how much RAM do you have? I'm just worried that running the I/O buffer that high might cause other problems.

I have 2 gigs, but i do very very very little midi. I havent had any problems with the I/O playback buffer set at 512. If i go up to 1024, i get a half second delay when pressing play
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1