Anyone using Novation Remote Zero SL

Author
kevjazz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2007/11/21 19:42:00 (permalink)

Anyone using Novation Remote Zero SL

ECXHCDear All,
It’s been quite a while since I visited these forums. I’m considering purchasing the Novation Remote Zero SL. I don’t need a keyboard, just a controller. I’m very interested in the SL’s apparent ability to map plugins automatically, so-called Auto mapping Technology.
As a blind person, this would be extremely useful to me and many others.
Have any of you used the Remote SL, particularly to control your various plugins? I’d be very interested to hear how you’re doing. Further, how many of you use the Novation with or without ACT. What is the relationship between ACT and the Remote SL series?
I have a Pevey PC1600X which I use through ACT sometimes. I also have a TranzPort which has nothing to do with ACT. So, I’m interested to know whether I have to use the SL through ACT or not.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Kevin

3 Replies Related Threads

KevinK
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Anyone using Novation Remote Zero SL 2007/11/21 20:57:56 (permalink)
    I've got a Novation ReMOTE 37 SL, which is essentially the same thing, only with a pretty nice little keyboard attached. I presume that there's nothing that would prevent the use of ACT with the ReMOTE, but I haven't tried it. The Novation technology does pretty much work. There's a decent library of soft synths it "knows", including some non-commercial ones. But the mappings from functions to controllers is sometimes a bit strange. I still haven't figured out the mapping of sliders to organ sliders for Ziokiller's VB3. You'd think they'd use sliders as virtual drawbars, from "long" to "short" going left to right. Instead, they're scambled seemingly randomly.

Note that there's not yet any official support for controlling Sonar, but there's a template for some variation on the Sonar generic control surface in the template bundle that downloads seperately from the driver on the Novation downloads page.

I should probably mention that not too long after I installed the Novation software on a brand new Sonar 7 DAW, Sonar stopped being able to use the RME ASIO driver, and the system is now unusable. Now, it wasn't *immediately* after I installed the software, mind you, and it *could* be a coincidence. But I can't help but wonder...

EDIT: At the time I wrote the above, I had already de-installed the Novation USB audio driver and disabled the automap tool, but the problem had persisted. But when I de-installed the whole Novation SL package from the system, the problem went away. I'll bet that if I re-install it, it will work again, up unti it doesn't, but you know what? I think I'm going to wait for the next revision of software from Novation!
    post edited by KevinK - 2007/11/21 21:46:37
    kevjazz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Anyone using Novation Remote Zero SL 2007/11/22 18:50:53 (permalink)
    Kevin
    I go he following note in respose to an e-mal I sent Novatin. You might fidit inersting:

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the mail.

The remote SL with it's current software release does not have support for the mixer and transport in Sonar. You will have control (via plug-in) automap of all VST plug-ins within Sonar.

The next SL release is currently in the final stages of testing. This version will have full support for Sonar mixer. This should be released (depending on how the testing goes) within the next few weeks.

Keep an eye on the website for the new updates.

Let me know if you need more info,

best regards,

Oliver B
    Novation Support Team
    I notice that he not mentions the Sonar Mixer but not th trasport functions. I guesswe'll hae t watch and wait.
    Kevin
    KevinK
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Anyone using Novation Remote Zero SL 2007/11/22 20:05:12 (permalink)
    I owe Novation an apology. It's aboslutely true that after trying many many experiments, when I removed the ReMOTE automap software, Sonar became usable with the RME Multiface ASIO port. But this evening, it "went away" again, between two runs of Sonar, and there's no Novation software left on the machine.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1