Grain By Grain

Author
DuRod
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1082
2007/11/23 18:41:53 (permalink)

Grain By Grain

Hello all and hope you've all recovered from whatever it is you overdid it on yesterday (Thanksgiving). Please check out this latest one called "Grain By Grain" and let me know what you think. One thing in particular, do you feel that it would benefit from a lead guitar part? As always, I look forward to all your critique.......good and / or bad!! Thanks guys.

Grain By Grain
http://www.soundclick.com/duanerod

DuRod

11 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/24 06:05:52 (permalink)
    Hi Duane,

That was very cool intro, love those synth washes. Very different for you! I love the pay-off line at the end of each verse, how it hangs in a melancholy way. Nice.

Very well put together song Duane, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into the arrangement here.

Yes, I think a guitar or possibly a sax solo would work well in that middle section.

Good work pal!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    cool stuff... 2007/11/24 07:52:26 (permalink)
    first let me say I really like this song...and although a Christan most contemporay Christan songs tend to sound "whiny" to me....not the verbage but the "feel"...this one is much better than most...feel wise. I would like to see the keys a little smoother in the middle parts...the chording works but it's a bit choppy around 138ish to 140ish....but maybe it you had a nice lead line that wouldn't be an issue. I'd also like to hear a fuller kit sound. As james said it very well thought out and flows really well......great job!
    DuRod
    RE: cool stuff... 2007/11/24 18:43:15 (permalink)
    James: You don't have ANY idea how much your comment encoraged me. I was really trying hard on this one to start to break out of the mold I was casting myself into. I know I've got a long ways to go, but at least now I think I see a flicker wayyyyy down there at the end of the tunnel! I'm sending you an E-mail.

Tom: Hey guy, thanks for listening. Yea, the last thing I want to write is a "whiny" song, so thanks for letting me know I'm on the right track in that sense. I'm thinking about that lead part pretty seriously now. Thanks for the confirmation on that.

DuRod
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/24 19:23:56 (permalink)
    I was extremely impressed by this. You've gone to a whole new dimension with the writing and the production is wonderfully lush. Yeah, i can hear an opening for some lead work here and if you don't get any offers elsewhere i'll do it!

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    pittaxavy
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/24 20:55:54 (permalink)
    Great tune!!! Whatever you were felling when writtng this song comes straight forward... ( stange comment ?? ) I´ll explain....

These days, we´re all used to hearing whatever radio stations/tv stations and record labels want to broadcast to the general public and thank GOD i "found" this forum where you can listen to " untouched" music, where is all about the passion we all share ( music ) without people telling us what to sound like.... do you get me felling???

Bottom line is thanks you for sharing your music !!!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=773257

Cheers,

Pedro
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/24 21:34:35 (permalink)
    Duane,

Your recording quality has really improved this past year. You've got a great mix there. I like your choice of instrumentation too. They blend very well. Good work! Lyrics are arranged well too. They tell of a part of Christianity that doesn't get much air time, but is still very present and real.

-Matt
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/24 23:09:23 (permalink)
    Duane, hey, man ... remember what I said in my post on your last song? Try different waters, etc. With this one, my friend, you already jumped into these waters without hurting yourself.
    Wonderful, Duane, simply wonderful. What a nice arrangement, nicely held in the minor keys, great touch with the intro and the synths all throughout. Lyrics, as usual, strong and meaningful. Great ending, too. All in all, this is the first song that doesn't 'bear' your traditional trademark sound/chords so distinctly.
    To answer your question: Personally, I would have gone 'unplugged' all the way. I would have continued with the wonderful sounds of the intro, would have faded in the acoustic, slowly. I would have skipped the drums and bass. The singing would have been much slower. Almost spoken. In a Leonard Cohen kinda way, just more melodic .
    But, as said above - I love it the way it is, it's the first song I can truly call 'different' from your other songs. I'm proud of you buddy!
    Heinz.

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/25 00:12:47 (permalink)
    Duane, Very nice and a bit different from you, but I personally think your signature vocals and sound will always be you, and that is a wonderful thing. You have really been doing some nice added sound file additions to your music and it helps bring it up to a new height and level. As always your vocals sound wonderful and your mixing puts alot of mine to shame (but I can handle it), and the overall sound is a blessing to you and to the Lord. I just love gifts from the Lord like this, don't you? Great work my brother, keep 'em coming. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    DuRod
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/25 08:52:50 (permalink)
    Nick, you mean I actually have enough bass in it?? LOL I know how you like to hear that bass!! Thanks Nck, and I might take you up on that offer, I'm talking to James about it now but it depends on what all he has going right now. I haven't heard back from him yet. "Lush production".........that's music to my ears!!

Pedro, welcome to the forum and great to have you on board. Thank you for the compliment and yes I know what you're talking about. Stuff on the radio all starts to sound the same after a while; but here everyone is free to express themselves and it's really cool to hear all the different ideas coming out. Again, great to have you here and welcome.

Hey Matt, the thumbs up on the recording quality is greatly appreciated. Yea, this message is pretty "in your face", but it's something I need to hear at least once a day too, so you could say I'm singing this one to myself as much, or more, than to everyone else.

Heinz, whassup??!! Yea, I took your suggestion very seriously on your last post, and now reading your present comments really gives me a huge boost of encouragement to try even harder on the next one. I think I can do this thing!! That is a very interesting take you have on an alternate way to do the song.........almost like there could be two versions...............hmmm, something to think about.

John, thanks man. These type of words coming from guys like you who have been into this for so many years means much more to me than you realize. Haven't had a chance to listen to your latest keyboard offering yet, but I fully intend to. You guys just keep pointing me in the right direction and I'll do my best to follow!! Stay on the straight and narrow dude! Blessings.

Thanks to all,
    DuRod
    post edited by DuRod - 2007/11/25 08:54:16
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/25 12:30:58 (permalink)
    Well done Duane! It's you, but different in a good way. I really like this one. Harmonies sound 'spot on" and the guitar sounds wonderful. Your voice was very smooth on this. The whole song structure flowed evenly. Bravo!! Someday I too, would like to hear you do a song with your voice, an acoustic, and some light percussion only.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    DuRod
    RE: Grain By Grain 2007/11/25 19:23:28 (permalink)
    Larry, hey buddy, what's going on??? Thanks for the comments and the encouragement. Funny you should mention that about a song with just vocals and acoustic, I just recently wrote a song about the loss of my father many years ago now, and I've been working on putting music to it; and I think it is going to be a prime candidate for this type of style. Thanks again Larry.

DuRod
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1