Noob DimPro question

Author
AngelicLight
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2007/11/24 15:19:01 (permalink)

Noob DimPro question

Hi, there,

I don't yet have Dim Pro, but I do have too many other instruments and would like to scale way down.

Can DimPro serve as an ordinary sample player? Like if I convert my sample libs to .wav or something can I use just DimPro to play them?

If so, would drums be a problem if you wanted multi-out and to be able to assign different notes to different outputs? And can you set up (for lack of a better term) "choke groups" that would cut off, say, a open hi-hat when you immediately after play a closed?

Thanks very much - I don't believe how much music I have NOT been making due to the whole gear-lust thing, and I'm over it! If DimPro can handle this then it's my one go-to instrument!

Take care, all,

- A/L

8 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 16:41:42 (permalink)
    I would say yes. But the multi out thing is not what you think. The expression engine is very CPU friendly when you initiate multiple instances so you can load snares into one instance several full kits on others and have as many outs to buss as your heart desires. And Sonar can have a bunch of busses.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 16:42:01 (permalink)
    Can DimPro serve as an ordinary sample player?
    Yes.
    would drums be a problem if you wanted multi-out and to be able to assign different notes to different outputs?
    The simplest way to do multiple outputs is to use multiple instances of DimPro, and adjust the Lo Hi Key setting for your trigger notes.
    That said, it's not really set up as a multi-output drum synth. It can be configured that way, though.
    And can you set up (for lack of a better term) "choke groups" that would cut off, say, a open hi-hat when you immediately after play a closed?
    You would do that in an .sfz file, which involves text editing. The open and closed hi-hats would be configured within distinct "groups". One group would choke the other, using the "off_by=" parameter. Some people find that approach to be difficult. Others realize that it's a way to build your own custom synth.
    I don't believe how much music I have NOT been making due to the whole gear-lust thing
    I believe that is a rite-of-passage for most everyone. We look for new software to solve every unique challenge, instead of buckling down and learning to use what we already have creatively.
    lawapa
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 16:46:57 (permalink)
    Brock covered the rest BUT Please note Dpro will not load a sample twice if you load the same 2 kits both will use the samples in Ram

Very resource friendly man I kid you not
    AngelicLight
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 18:20:16 (permalink)
    I do appreciate the input, all!

So since it's not set up for a drum kit, per se, what would you all recommend for just wanting to load acoustic drum samples into a multi-out mapped kit?

Thanks, again, all...
    everdream
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 19:47:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AngelicLight

I do appreciate the input, all!

So since it's not set up for a drum kit, per se, what would you all recommend for just wanting to load acoustic drum samples into a multi-out mapped kit?

Thanks, again, all...

AngelicLight: I'm a DimPro fan boy as well as a Velocity fanboy. DimPro is my go to instrument, and it has more power than I have yet to learn how to harness. But there are resources available to help with that such as the book "Cakewalk Synthesizers" by Simon Cann, and Syrath's video for Dimension Pro.

To do what you're asking with drums, I'd recommend Velocity (comes bundled with Project5... and perhaps other Cakewalk DAWs ?). Syrath tutored me on how to do just what you're asking (the multi-out part) - very easy! If you don't mind building your own drum kits from scratch, then Velocity is the tool for you! It can handle the choke groups too. I know you can accomplish the same thing in Dim Pro as well, but for me the work flow in Velocity is the best match for my way of thinking. Both Velocity and Dim Pro are excellent products, and there's a great community here online to help you out. You can't go wrong to get both of them!
    AngelicLight
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 20:00:47 (permalink)
    Thanks, everdream,

But I mostly play and write rock and pop. I thought P5 was more for electronic/dance/techo-type stuff. Am I wrong here? Is P5 suited for other styles, too? By the way, my go-to host right now is Trackiton. I am certainly not anti-Sonar, but it is just easier to learn for me (and cheaper, too!).

Do I have to get Sonar to have P5's functionality/instruments in an audio-based host? Or can it somehow link to any other one?

I used to use FL Studio, too, for drums because of the drum grid/step sequencer. Does P5 do things similar to that?

Good suggestions so far - thanks for everybody's input!
    AngelicLight
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/24 20:43:27 (permalink)
    Also - for some reason hte Dimension sounds sampler on the main Cakewalk page is not loading. Does anyone know of any other sources for hearing DimPro patches or complete songs done with it?

Thanks, again,

- A
    lawapa
    RE: Noob DimPro question 2007/11/25 00:50:27 (permalink)
    Cake just released a new drum thing. I bet it uses the expression engine like Dpro, if so it will kick booty big time.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Beatfetish/
    post edited by lawapa - 2007/11/25 01:06:55
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1