Critique my acoustic guitar please

Author
jsykes
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
2007/11/25 10:21:34 (permalink)

Critique my acoustic guitar please

Greets to peeps!

Here is a fairly raw mix of my acoustic guitar and vocals by a young woman I have been working with. This is our first recording.

Taking Chances

I post this here hoping for the following input:

1. I've treated the corners of the room with a material I hope provides a decent bass trap. So how does the guitar sound from an acoustics stand point?

2. Same for her voice.

3. Recording technique: I used one small NADY CM-90 for the guitar. I recorded it on two tracks and nudged one track just a hair to attempt to provide a stereo element. Both are then compressed and I put the Cakewalk Powerstrip's Bright Acoustic on the main track.

Does the guitar achieve the *stereo* element?

The tracks are a rough outline, and there are some timing issues on her voice. So I am primarily asking for you to tell me how I'm doing on capturing the performance, and what are any more specific steps I should take next.

Thanks.
post edited by jsykes - 2007/11/25 11:23:45

Sonar Homestudio XL
Dell laptop
Echo Layla
Takamine EAN-15C
Ibanez Artcore
Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
Advice from forum members

8 Replies Related Threads

sailorman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 11:33:10 (permalink)
    First, I really like the song and the excellent performance by the vocalist. I personally would not add much to this song at all, it has a nice sparse sound to it which I think fits the song perfectly.

As to the recording; I think the guitar is a little boomy in places. Mic placement, mic placement, mic placement........ I find recording my steel and nylon string acoustics to be the most challenging thing I do. I started with with a mic pointed at the 12th fret, 6 inches away and got boom. Down by the bridge and got boom. Back at the 12th and rotated it about 20degrees toward the nut; perfect.! Doesn't work on my other guitar; go figure. With my nylon guitar I got the best results with a Rode NTK about 2 feet away, pointing right at the bridge (check the solo in my White Bird post on this forum). So my suggestion is to experiment until you find the right thing, then write it down (unless your memory is better than mine.)

I'd be careful with cloning a track and nudging it; I've done this and been successful some times, but other times it generated phasing. I personally record mostly mono tracks and let the reverb (on a bus), generate the stereo image for me.
    Same for the vocal. I thought I might have heard a bit of phasing in the vocal; did you do the clone/nudge technique there too?

Also a little hump in the lower mids on the vocal here and there; that may be your room? Mic? You didn't say what mic you used for the vocal.

The above are just suggestions to help make what is already a very, very good song, better. If you re-record it, please post.!

Some Sonar projects -
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=742896

ADK quad core PC 6GB RAM
    Sonar 8.3
    M-Audio 192 card
    MCU
    jsykes
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 11:49:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input.

I have an MXL 992 I used to record her vocals and I did the clone and nudge on the bridge part (*autumn comes...*) because she kept missing the timing. We are just using this so she can get accustomed to recording her voice, so I didn't want to push her too much.

I have a Takamine EAN15C and I have been experimenting with the mic placement for a few months. I tried the MXL, the MXL and the CM-90, and just the CM-90 by itself. I think I like that best and have been checking out different positions, usually try to stay about 2 feet like you said and point the mic just above/between sound hole and 12th fret. I think on this one I stood at a slight angle. So it seems like I'm getting closer to a good sound on the acoustic.

Thanks for the compliments on the song. I'll let Jessica know you like it.

Jeff

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 12:55:46 (permalink)
    Hey Jeff - Not bad for a rough take. I'm listening to this on phones and I can can hear some "artifacts" on the vox. I'm assuming it's the room. She has a good voice, but I don't like the ambience from the room. Your guitar sound is good, but I think you can take it a step further by using 2 mics. One near the 12th fret, and 1 a little past the bridge. This way you'll pic up two seperate tones and the imaging will be much wider. The trick is trying to make the song larger than life when one voice and one guitar is all you're recording. This is not a critique, but some suggestions that I've applied to my own stuff. Now if your acoustic was being used along with a lot of other instumentation involved, this would work as is. I do like the song.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    contact@jondunn.org
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 767
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 14:17:46 (permalink)
    hey Jeff,

the link does not seem to be working

went to your site, really like the overtones amigo
    Skip Gates bought our old house in Cambridge; I met him, interesting guy

-JD

ps- what hosting package did you use for your main site, the one with your name?

pps- I like what lhansen said about two micings, and careful on the over-strumming of a steel string
    also listened to the song about the Bomb, and would like to hear much more vocals so I can hear the lyrics
    post edited by contact@jondunn.org - 2007/11/25 14:26:09
    jsykes
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 15:01:04 (permalink)
    Larry: Thanks for the listen. The vocal track is problematic vis a vis the ambience. I am working with Jess to develop a better mic technique so I don't have to pic up so much room noise just to hear her vox.

I had the inputs almost wide open and the mic set to the -10 dB setting. I'm not certain what that means, but in effect it is much more sensitive.

Thanks for the gtr suggestions.

JD:

Thanks for the compliments. I use a standard Yahoo hosting package for jeffreysykes.com and use MovableType blog software to publish. I'm a former journalist, so I still do a lot of writing and use the blog to stack dump what's on my mind from time to time. The layout is a template I got from Style Contest.

Thanks for listening to Grounded by the Bomb. That song needs a lot of work and is from a set I did last year. I'm still working on my recording technique. I'm not at the point where I can get my ideas down the way I want them, but I had to try that one to see what I could accomplish.

Peace.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 22:59:42 (permalink)
    Hey there...

First, really like the song, and would like to see you develop it more.

Next, the 992: two of my earliest songs were done on a 992 (sold mine a couple of years ago), and it is a decent mic, but there is something else going on here...I know this mic, and what I am hearing on this vocal maybe doesn't make best use of it? Not sure what is going on, but I can tell that the singer has voice, yet, I am not hearing enough of her throat, and this mic has enough presence to deliver some of that. How close was she singing? Also, what preamp...oops...you asked about guitar...

Guitar: it DOESN'T sound boomy to me on either my cans or any of my three sets of monitors...so I have to respectfully disagree with sailorman...perhaps one of us has room issues...for, even in mono, on my rig, you are doing OK...

To me it sounds nicely done...there are some additional things you could to do with say, using two mics, or putting a UAD Fairchild in lat/vert mode on the buss to move the guitar about the stereo field based on amplitude...you could also try M-S mic'ing...but I have to say, that I like the sound that you have here, and I am an acoustic guitar sound snob and am constantly experimenting myself to get the best sound. LOL.

Nice work...

Best,

Mark

post edited by Tombo - 2007/11/25 23:31:06

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/25 23:21:03 (permalink)
    I can't offer any micing or room advice but I can say that I really like the composition and the flow of the piece. Very nice and would stand well with a sparse minimal arrangement, maybe with just some subtle soft padded percussion ... of course, JMHO. Singer has a great voice. I am hearing a little sibilance here and there. Not sure of that is due to micing or maybe a de-esser would be called for. Great song. Keep us posted !
    jsykes
    RE: Critique my acoustic guitar please 2007/11/26 10:29:03 (permalink)
    Tombo: Thanks so much for the input. I am feeling good about the acoustic guitar and appreciate a *snobbish* perspective! (lol)

ToneCarver: Ditto on the compliments. I appreciate the encouragement.

The vocalist is trained in opera/theatre singing, but this was her first time with a mic and being recorded. We talked about sibilance and mic technique, but she will need more practice.

Unfortunately for me, she teaches drama in local schools and we don't get many opportunities to work together. She wrote these lyrics to a bit of music I had laying around. Did it in one evening session, but it took us nine months to find time to record the track.

Thanks to everyone for the listens.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1