Individual Tracking, help please?

Author
GreySkyEyes
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/11/25 17:46:43 (permalink)

Individual Tracking, help please?

Hey!

I know there is probably a very simple answer to this question, but seeing as how I'm a newbie to this stuff, I've come to ask for help.

I use Cakewalk Sonar Homestudio 4. When I record drums I usually mic up the snare, the kick, the hat, and two over heads. I plug the mics into my Carvin PA head and then use one of those red/white radioshack cables from the tape out into the mic input on my computer tower. It takes me a couple takes, but I just mix the drums on the PA head and the drums come out as a single track on my Cakewalk (Track 1).

Well, I'm getting sick of this and I want to have a track for each microphone I plug in, so the snare would have its own track, the kick would have its own track, and so on. This way I could mess with EQ and the levels for the bass drum only, etc. I believe this is called Multitracking? yes?

Well I asked one of the dudes at Guitar Center and he told me that my Carvin PA head wouldn't be able to do that. So, he recommended me one of these Firewire 8 channel mixer board things.

If I get one of those Firewire mixer boards will I be able to have individual tracks for my drum mics? If so, is there a software that it comes with that I need to install or does it just start working as soon as I plug it in?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but nobody I ask around here seems to want to answer me kindly : (

thank you very much!
-AJ

5 Replies Related Threads

mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Individual Tracking, help please? 2007/11/25 23:51:42 (permalink)
    That all sounds about right. Or maybe one of the multi input interface/sound cards with out the hardware mixer if you don't need that part. There's likely some software/install I'd presume and then 'Cake will need to see the new added inputs there.
    Go to the manufacturer's site(s) and take a look at their download manuals, you'll get an idea of what's what there.

Wayne Smith
    Part time long time..
    CathouseSound 
    Mother Ships  - StudioCat DAWs   
    Portals - RME
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Individual Tracking, help please? 2007/11/26 03:46:05 (permalink)
    Well, I'm getting sick of this and I want to have a track for each microphone I plug in,

This is done all the time with sound cards that have multiple inputs, like the Motu8pre or the RME800. all you need to do this is a sound card that has 8 pre amps or inputs, if you have a mixer
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    GreySkyEyes
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Individual Tracking, help please? 2007/11/26 12:10:24 (permalink)
    Thanks alot for the tips. I'm gonna check out those sound cards online. And I'm on my way right now to Firewire and Firepod's website to check out their user manuals.

This is kind of funny because my friend told me that CW can't handle a multitracking application. He's trying to get me to buy this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-Firepod-FireWire-Interface-with-Cubase-LE?sku=184131

The thing is, that this comes with Cubase and it has more channels than the Firewire mixerboard for only $100 more.

Well, I guess I'll do some more research.

Thanks for all the suggestions

-AJ
    wishus
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Individual Tracking, help please? 2007/11/26 13:13:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: GreySkyEyes

This is kind of funny because my friend told me that CW can't handle a multitracking application.

Your friend has no idea what he's talking about. Sonar Home Studio can handle multitrack recording just fine.

Third Take : a blog about home recording
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Individual Tracking, help please? 2007/11/26 13:30:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wishus

ORIGINAL: GreySkyEyes

This is kind of funny because my friend told me that CW can't handle a multitracking application.

Your friend has no idea what he's talking about. Sonar Home Studio can handle multitrack recording just fine.

Correct. It's not the software that is a limit, only the hardware. You just need a sound interface (card) that has enough inputs for what you want to do.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1