Guitar Rig / Amplitube

Author
tcaylor
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 701
2007/11/29 11:39:12 (permalink)

Guitar Rig / Amplitube

I saw the recent thread regarding guitar rig 3 and rather than hijack that thread, i decided to ask a new question.

How do you use a guitar software plugin? Can you apply it in real time while you are recording so you can hear the effect but not record that actual effect? Does it cost you in terms of latency or processing power when recording? How does it compare with the pod x3 (which i just bought :) )

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered. I just don't have time at the moment to do the research...sorry.

thanks,

tcaylor

3 Replies Related Threads

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Guitar Rig / Amplitube 2007/11/29 13:31:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tcaylor

I saw the recent thread regarding guitar rig 3 and rather than hijack that thread, i decided to ask a new question.

OK...

How do you use a guitar software plugin?

Insert it on an audio track just like any other FX plugin.

Can you apply it in real time while you are recording so you can hear the effect but not record that actual effect?

Yep. In fact, with most systems, that's the only practical way of doing it; recording dry while monitoring the effect. You then tweak to your heart's content and apply the effect after the fact.

Does it cost you in terms of latency or processing power when recording?

You're monitoring through it while you're recording, right? It's going to use resources then...

How does it compare with the pod x3 (which i just bought :) )

I couldn't say; I haven't played through a POD in years. All the software amp rigs have demos; try it for yourself.

ew
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Guitar Rig / Amplitube 2007/11/29 14:32:32 (permalink)
    You will have to have a system that can maintain latency in the 2 to 3'ish ms range so that you can monitor through the DAW, since you don't really have any other option when you use an amp sim. So you may need to freeze some other stuff (other soft synths or drum synths and such) if your system cannot get that low with those things active. So, for instance, if you are using a firewire or USB audio card, you may be pushing it a bit on latency for this type of setup, since they will have 1.5 or 2'ish ms more latency than a PCI based card, which kinds of eats up a lot of your allotment already, before you include the DAW latency.

You may want to consider getting a tube based pre-amp/DI box, so that you get a real tube component to the signal that you record to disc, and then you feed that through the amp sim. It adds to the realism of the sound.

BTW, I should say that, that you can teak to your heart's content after the fact, it's not a completely free ride. There is much to the sound of the guitar/bass that comes from pickup selection, pre-amp tube drive levels and lo/hi-z settings, where you pick (neck to bridge), what kind of pick you use, etc... Those things you still only get one shot at, and to change them you must re-track the part. But it still is hugely flexible.

Some people will prefer a POD I'm sure. I sold my POD and bought Amplitube2/Ampeg, and I've been quite happy with that choice so far. But I'm really just how starting to really learn them enough to find the tones I want. It's like having a whole room full of amps and pedals and microphones and cabinets, and as you'd imagine you'd spend a lot of time learning all those things if you suddenly got them, whcih ones to use in what situations and what settings and combinations.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/11/29 14:46:34

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Guitar Rig / Amplitube 2007/11/29 22:56:42 (permalink)
    A nice way to test this sort of thing out before buying is to down load a few free amp sim plug ins and mess with the concept. If you search for voxengo they have a decent free amp sim called Boogex . Look on kvraudio.com for tons of avalable free plug ins as well.
    post edited by Rbh - 2007/11/29 23:09:51

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1