Dimension Pro and brass?

Author
flatpicknut
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 270
2007/12/07 16:43:45 (permalink)

Dimension Pro and brass?

Dim Pro has given me decent tools for most sounds, except for brass. I just can't seem to find anything that has the quality of the oboe, bassoon, flute, and clarinets. I may need to bring my old synths (T3 and JV880) back into the room just to get some decent brass; but then that defeats the reason I bought Dim Pro - to go soft synth for everything except piano. Anybody find any satisfying brass sounds in the Dim Pro programs? Have you had luck modifying the programs, or programming your own?

8 Replies Related Threads

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/07 20:39:13 (permalink)
    I have lots of good brass I use in Dimension Pro. :D

Also, you may want to check out the Proteus 2000 and Virtuoso soundbanks for Dimension Pro as well.

But yeah, I have been complaining about the lack of brass (choirs too) since the original Dimension shipped with Project5 v.2 Two free expansion packs later and still next to nothing...

They really, if they are gonna get it over 7 gigs anyway, need to give it a complete sound set to compete.
    flatpicknut
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/08 12:28:13 (permalink)
    I like the other orchestral sounds, but I just can't get my ears around any of the brass. I keep thinking it has to be me - surely somebody at Cakewalk thought they were usable, or they wouldn't have added them. I tried again last night and just can't stand the sounds. To my ears, they sound like some cheesy imitation from a 70's era organ. My 90's era synths seem to have much better sounds - much richer, fuller, more like what I'd hear from a real trumpet, trombone, French horn, or tuba. I don't even like the Garritan brass in Dim Pro, and his stuff is supposed to be good. I've played with the pitch wheel and the mod wheel, but still no luck.

If anybody has found ways to make the Dim Pro brass work, I'd sure be interested.

I'm trying to get as much out of my Dim Pro purchase before I have to squeeze out some more dollars and buy Kontact 3.
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/08 16:08:09 (permalink)
    The Garritan sounds in DimPro aren't as good as the GPO and JABB packages. I have both, and they are much better... this will likely lead to you spending more money , but thought I'd pass that along...

Cheers,

Russ

Jaybee
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 423
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/08 17:12:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Russell.Whaley
    The Garritan sounds in DimPro aren't as good as the GPO and JABB packages.

And now Garritan has the Concert and Marching Band Library which is quite good. You might want to pop over to the Garritan Forums and listen to some of what is being done with it. I just finished listening to a fanfare based on Hark The Herald Angels Sing which was written for the Dallas Wind Symphony and recorded with Garritan CoMB. The brass sounds are quite good!

Jerry
    Dayton, KY.
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5v2.5, Music Creator 5, Dimension Pro, Akoustik Piano, Battery 3, B4 II, Kontakt 2 & 3, GPO, JABB, CoMB, VDL 2.5, Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D, True Piano
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audiophile 192

flatpicknut
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/10 12:59:16 (permalink)
    I had been looking at the Garritan, but I wanted to get as much as I could out of the Dim Pro - it is so easy to think the next piece of software is going to solve everything!

I'm not sure about the next step. Garritan or Miroslav Classic at $199 or Kontakt 3 or Miroslav Phil for $499. The Garritan stuff that came with Dim Pro actually reduced my opinion of the Garritan option. At the moment, I'm probably leaning more toward Kontakt 3. I know it's a new rev, but it seems to be the big guy in the sampling arena and I hear great things about how much the scripting can help create a lively performance. My next purchase is likely to be a new LCD monitor, but some more orchestral stuff is next in line. Dim Pro has sure whetted my appetite for orchestral sounds.
    mleghorn
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/14 15:54:50 (permalink)
    I have Dimension LE, which I think has all the sounds that Pro has. I agree. The brass is weak. I like the legato trombone and legato trumpet, but the french horn is obviously just the trombone slightly altered, and I think the same goes for the tuba. What's a classical brass section without a french horn?
    philo156
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/17 01:14:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mleghorn

I have Dimension LE, which I think has all the sounds that Pro has. I agree.

Just to avoid confusion - LE (which I have also) has just over 500 sounds, while Pro has around 1500 (plus the two free downloads of 350 each).

"stop looking at me!"
    flatpicknut
    RE: Dimension Pro and brass? 2007/12/17 10:00:17 (permalink)
    I ordered GPO this weekend, not only for the brass, but for the way Garritan handles articulations. I hope you guys are right and that the brass is better than what comes with Dim Pro. In time I hope to learn to program SFZ to add stuff to Dim Pro, but I'm too busy making music to mess with that now. (Depending on what GPO brass is like, I may bring my Korg T3 back into my music room. The brass sounds on that old clunker still play well!)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1