Helpful ReplyRex vs Acid Files

Author
rlwillis
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2007/12/14 16:12:38 (permalink)

Rex vs Acid Files

Are there any advantages to using Rex files instead of Acid files for drum loops?
Thanks.
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/14 16:29:47 (permalink)
There are lot of advantages to using Rex.

The slices are mapped to the keyboard.

You can easily generate a ton of variations on just one loop.

The Rex player will generate a midi file.

The big disadvantage is you can not make your own Rex files, unless you buy a program for it.

You can make anything an Acid loop inside of Sonar.
post edited by Oaf_Topik - 2007/12/14 16:52:30
vespesian
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/14 21:30:44 (permalink)
Rex files are scary fun.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

philo156
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 429
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/14 21:49:09 (permalink)
Yes - Rex is great. Triggering audio loop slices, but with MIDI events: much more flexibility than Wav. Though with audio snap in Sonar you can do quite a bit with Wav files as well. IMO the best approach is to be able to do both. But if I had to choose only one (like if some really oppressive and overbearing individual moved into my place and successfully forced me to choose one format or the other), it would be Rex.

"stop looking at me!"
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/15 00:24:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bodhi65 2016/04/16 17:52:19
REX files are very good for most drum parts, assuming each drum "slice" doesn't hang over to the next slice (e.g., you don't want a cymbal crash that lasts over several beats). This is because there is no real DSP applied to the audio, it is just "chopped" and each slice is played back closer together (for faster tempo) or further apart (for slower tempo).

However, they are nowhere near as good as acidized files for sustained sounds, pads, guitar chords, and the like. Acidized files can work extremely well with drums, but are more likely to change the sound quality over wide stretches.

Either format works better speeding up compared to slowing down.
philo156
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/15 01:49:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Anderton

REX files are very good for most drum parts, assuming each drum "slice" doesn't hang over to the next slice (e.g., you don't want a cymbal crash that lasts over several beats). This is because there is no real DSP applied to the audio, it is just "chopped" and each slice is played back closer together (for faster tempo) or further apart (for slower tempo).

However, they are nowhere near as good as acidized files for sustained sounds, pads, guitar chords, and the like. Acidized files can work extremely well with drums, but are more likely to change the sound quality over wide stretches.

Either format works better speeding up compared to slowing down.

You may be right about sustained sounds, but the original post was regarding drum loops. Rex files are not really best suited to be used as melodic phrase generators/manipulators. I recently bought a great package of cinematic percussion beds but with some pads and synth sounds as well. It was designed to work with Sylus and came in Wav and Rex format but only the percussion sounds were translated into Rex - for the melodic and pad/drone sounds they only work in Wav format.

When changing patterns with Rex files, it does work best if you can use an occurrence that is the least recent one. Good Rex files tend to be built up a long enough chromatic scale that, in my experience at least, is such that you can choose a hit from far enough back in the loop that it won't interfere with other hits that are going on at the same time - or close to the same time.

Again, we are talking about drum loops here. But for the sake of manipulating percussion hits and samples, the flexibility of Rex files are not matched by Wav.
post edited by philo156 - 2007/12/15 02:08:22

"stop looking at me!"
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/15 04:47:32 (permalink)
You may be right about sustained sounds, but the original post was regarding drum loops.

Only one sentence of my post involved anything other than drums. I thought it was important for people not to assume REX files were a panacea based on what's been said regarding drums.

Rex files are not really best suited to be used as melodic phrase generators/manipulators.

While that's certainly not their primary purpose, you can do some really cool effects by taking a long sound (e.g., power chord) and manually inserting slices that add percussive effects.

But for the sake of manipulating percussion hits and samples, the flexibility of Rex files are not matched by Wav.

I'd add a caveat about "wet" sounds, though. As you pointed out, it's an advantage that Sonar gives you both types of stretching, because with a multi-miked drum kit having separate tracks, you can REX the dry ones and use acidization for the room mics. So far I haven't found a better combination that that for stretching drums, but I'm not always lucky enough to have the different mics on different tracks...
Frank Basile
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 466
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/15 09:38:14 (permalink)
Hi,
Since you mentioned separate drum tracks, have you checked out the Smart Loops MultiTrack drum loops? You get the separation without having to slice up the loop. In both REX2 and ACID formats... http://www.smartloops.com/products/multitracks/

post edited by Frank Basile - 2007/12/15 09:54:08
philo156
RE: Rex vs Acid Files 2007/12/15 16:56:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Anderton

I'd add a caveat about "wet" sounds, though. As you pointed out, it's an advantage that Sonar gives you both types of stretching, because with a multi-miked drum kit having separate tracks, you can REX the dry ones and use acidization for the room mics. So far I haven't found a better combination that that for stretching drums, but I'm not always lucky enough to have the different mics on different tracks...

That sounds interesting. Haven't tried that.

And yeah - I think its good to just talk about things on a post like this. Just give opinions and impressions - the more the better. It always helps me anyway to hear guys just talk about different things. And I was wanting to make sure that the unique aspects of Rex were mentioned - in case the OP wasn't aware of them. I discovered Rex fairly recently so I am still psyched about the format.

There are so many ways and choices for accomplishing different things - its almost overwhelming sometimes - but in a good way.

"stop looking at me!"
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1