session drummer 2 need help

Author
Guitarman1
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
2007/12/23 11:36:09 (permalink)

session drummer 2 need help

I have been trying to make sense out of how to use sd2 and creating my own patterns. And in a nutshell I am lost. I have created a drum map, loaded each drum into its own track, changed the drums from 1 to 8.. and each drum sounds on each track, when I preview it. I go into piano roll, and a list of all the drum sounds comes up. And that is where I am stumped. I can't get the drums to sound when I put a mark in the what I am assuming is the correct place. I am seeing multiple kick drums, and I have selected kick steady 1 for the setting... but nothing is heard. Also, in the book it says to load gm (full kit), the only kit I am seeing is alexis full kit.. does anybody have a tutorial that is very very easy to understand to get the grasp of this?

14 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1149
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/24 03:50:26 (permalink)
    When you say "creating your own patterns" you mean actually entering drum hits even by event in SONAR? Do you then want to use these patterns as patterns to be triggered in SD2, or simply use SD2 as a drum/kit loader? Sorry I need to know what you have done, and how you want to use it.

How did you create your drum map? There is actually a drum map already made for the Session Drummer.
    C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\cakewalk\ Program name (SONAR Studio 7 for me)\Drum Maps.

However this only shows drum names, to be triggered note by note. If you wish to trigger the SD2 using the patterns then you need to trigger the next 8 notes below that to commence a pattern. First one = pattern A second one down = Pattern BI have made a map that combines the two if you wish to use the triggering method. However I have had heaps of trouble trying to use SD2 in trigger mode.

I don't know about the advice on the GM kit! SD2 only has the drums that show in the pads, and is not GM compatible.
    \
    HTH

Let's know

Nick

ORIGINAL: Guitarman1

I have been trying to make sense out of how to use sd2 and creating my own patterns. And in a nutshell I am lost. I have created a drum map, loaded each drum into its own track, changed the drums from 1 to 8.. and each drum sounds on each track, when I preview it. I go into piano roll, and a list of all the drum sounds comes up. And that is where I am stumped. I can't get the drums to sound when I put a mark in the what I am assuming is the correct place. I am seeing multiple kick drums, and I have selected kick steady 1 for the setting... but nothing is heard. Also, in the book it says to load gm (full kit), the only kit I am seeing is alexis full kit.. does anybody have a tutorial that is very very easy to understand to get the grasp of this?

Nick
    Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
    Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
    Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/24 10:50:56 (permalink)
    Thanx nick for the reply... I hope I can explain fully .. What I am trying to do, is make a pattern by single hits. I saw a video of "step sequencer'.. but for the life of me, I can not find it. The video says it is in the "view' toolbar, but for some reason, it don't show up on mine. I think the step sequencer is what I am needing, I can do velocity and program what drum plays at what beat. Much easier I think than the piano roll, which since posting this, I have found somewhat how to use more, but those are patterns already.. at least what I can do. I am using Sonar PE 7.
    OldNick
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/24 22:01:10 (permalink)
    Making a pattern by single hits (events) I would call "sequencing a drum track". People will understand that. "Patterns " is usually used to name pre-made patterns such as are usable in SD2 (although they are themselves only MIDI sequences, quite short).

I am not sure what you mean when you say the Piano Roll is "patterns already". It should be a blank when you first open it. Do you mean that the notes you are selecting are triggering patterns in SD2? In that case you need different notes. Again I ask, what drum map are you using and what is it based on? The one that comes with SONAR will do the notes.

I would also say that the Piano Roll View (PRV) is much faster and more powerful that the step sequencer, and you can see everything laid out in front of you. However Menu Views Step Sequencer will get you the other one.

Nick

Nick
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/24 22:14:12 (permalink)
    hi nick.. let me first apologize.. I am using version 6.. forgot they came out with new one right after I bought it of course.. And I see the "step sequence' is not in 6.. For what I am doing, I follow the tutorial in the book on page 110. when I do that, and go into drum map mgr, I only have the one alexis drum kit. In that tutorial it is I am assuming explaining how to insert the patterns, but that is not what I want.. I want to be able to input when the bass drum sounds and the snare.. and so forth. I tried using the pencil tool, and it makes a mark, but no sound. If I use the brush, I get the pattern... so, still lost.. sure do wish I had that sequencer, it looks easier that way...
    OldNick
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/24 22:35:34 (permalink)
    OK. I am not sure about S6, because I only "came back into the fold" <G> after S7 was released.

However, have you looked in
    "C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\cakewalk\ Program name (SONAR Studio 7 for me)\Drum Maps. "
    as I suggested? There _should_ be a drum map there for SD2. If you are not finding it in SONAR, then check out Options Menu - Global - Folders and see where the Drum Maps points to. It may be the wrong place, or may need re-setting (there were a couple of people who had trouble with this very problem. Everything looked OK, but they were not seeing the maps.

Private Mail (PM) me an email address, and I can send you the map I have made, if you cannot find one for SD2.

Nick

Nick
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/25 09:25:36 (permalink)
    ok... found the drum maps.. but they do not load up in drum mgr.. my path is C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Cakewalk\SONAR 6 Producer Edition\Drum Maps

I don't see any way of making the drum mgr go to that folder. One thing I noticed when viewing my C:/ drive, I don't see "application Data" listed under "user". To actually see the drum maps I had to copy and paste the path to see them... that may be the trouble as to why the drum maps don't come up.. not sure.

I have made the folder "application data' viewable, but sonar is still not finding it, when I bring up drum mgr.
    post edited by Guitarman1 - 2007/12/25 17:34:14
    OldNick
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/25 19:22:51 (permalink)
    Blast! I have just tried to search the forums about this, because as I said there was this issue with S6, and somebody had ideas. But the search seems not to be working; I cannot believe that no message contains "drum" or "drum maps" or map or maps.

So. I will suggest one thing. If you can find the maps in Windows Explorer, (which I think you can now)?? then copy and paste them to a folder that you create right under C:\.... c:\Drum Maps. Leave out all the application data blah blah. Then point SONAR's Drum Maps to that, and see if that helps.

I will keep searching for the messages I found.

I ask one favour. When you describe what is not working, can you give me (us) a step by step of what you have tried.? It makes thinking of the nest step much easier. I am happy to at least keep talking about this, because sometimes that keeps the other poor guy sane! <G<>

Nick

Nick
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/25 20:14:35 (permalink)
    Ok, I thought of moving it but was not sure. Once I moved it, the different kits or maps showed up after I changed the path in options/folders. But still have problems of course..lol

I inserted a midi track, loaded up session drummer2 for that track. Went to output, and loaded up drum kit "dmi gs drums(complete kit)" Now the output I changed was from track view, on the left underneath the fader control, not in the actual track. If I do the output in the actual track, only choices I get are none, in usb 1x1 and manage presets, which brings up a wide window to set channels... Also, by selecting the output I did, above the fader, I have three drop downs the first drop down when opened up all has "default' for choices, the second one is banks, which is empty, and the third one gives me the different instruments that tts1 shows when you load that, but .. tts1 is not loaded in the synth rack or anywhere. I left all three drop downs saying "drum map" Went to view, piano roll, and there are all the percussion instruments. I tried two different things, and neither give me any sounds. .. the first was to click the arrow by the paintbrush, and went to kick and snare, then over to stacy7... chose polyphonic, then paintbrush and ran the brush over the grid. Played it back and nothing. I then cleared all the paintbrush markings out, and took the pencil tool, and tried different drums, along the grid, and got no sound either. Now I just noticed, that normally when I load up either session drummer2, or any of the other synths, I get a folder in the track view that says what it is... I do not have that now, session drummer did pop up when I selected it, and it is in the synth rack.... not sure why that is like that....
    I hope this is clear enough for you and others to understand... if any questions, feel free to ask, and of course.. any solutions.. send them my way... Thanx for taking the time to straighten me out.... I do appreciate it.
    OldNick
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/25 20:53:46 (permalink)
    OK. Why are you choosing GS drumkits? They will not match. You want the Session Drummer map.

As I said, if you can't find it, I will send you one.

The place you need to look in the Track itself is the Output (O) field, and it will allow New Drum Map, and Drum Map Manager.

Rather than inserting a MIDI track, Insert SD2 as a synth and let it create its own tracks. This should sort things out a lot better. Then in the MIDI track of the SD2 Folder, you _should_ be able to select "drum maps" or Drum Map Manager in the Output (O). You then need to go to Drum Map manager by selecting from the list that I have just mentioned, open the _Session Drummer_ map, and make sure that all drum notes point to Session Drummer. They will probably default to something else. That, along with the fact that you are using the wrong Map, is probably why you are getting no sound.

So the signal path will be MIDI Track -> Drum Map Manager -> Session Drummer. The Synth Track in the SD2 folder will have Session Drummer Output as its Input (I). Do not bother yet with multiple tracks and outputs. Just get it working.

BTW. Do not feel too bad about this. SD2 seems to operate in a way that is dead simple.....once you know how <G>. It will click. I had the same sort of trouble getting it. You are having to learn drum maps as well, and that's a bit of a crab, too.

Let's know. I want to hear that first drum beat has been done! <G>

Nick

Nick
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/25 21:22:12 (permalink)
    well .... I wouldn't really call it a drum beat.. but that did the trick... confusing.. but I think if I do it a few times it will be second nature. Now for part two of help..lol.. First of all thanx for your help... greatly appreciated... now... this is a two parter I guess.. first part... after loading a drum map... and I think one has to load a drum up in session drummer too.. one of the presets.. right?... oh oh.. three part question.. sorry... if what I just said is true... when one goes to the piano roll.. and the drum grid, how does one know what drums will sound and what ones won't?.. I am assuming there is an easy way besides trying them out... Also, since my sd2 only has the presets that came with it, can I use percussive drums?.. such as congas, timpani... so forth.. or do I need to route those to tts1... (more headache)....
    OldNick
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/25 22:47:26 (permalink)
    Yes. You need to load either a Kit into SD, or a drum to each pad....Kick to Kick, Snares to snare etc.

If you are using the SD drum map, then you should _only_ be able to see the drums that will play.

No troubles with other drums. SD2 uses SFZ (for Kits or drums) or wav and other format files (for each drum type). You can load a wav of a conga hit in there if you want. For instance I have just loaded a Hammond Organ into the Kick Drum <G>. But here is the limitation of a kit-based setup. You cannot _add_ the other stuff, you have to substitute it, and of course all your mapped drum names will be wrong, so you will either have to create a new map, or remember.

Having helped you this far, I have to say that I am not that happy with SD. It will suit your present purpose (with the above problems of limits on drum types). But my experience is that if you try to use it for the preset patterns, triggering them rather than writing your entire sequence, then it starts to trip up and have timing troubles. And it is quite limited in scope. It makes a good basic drum sounder, for a standard kit.

I basically wanted to give you the chance to try it for yourself. YMMV.

Do you have SFZ? I think just about everybody does. If so, you can load drum SFZs (or even the older SF2 soundfonts) files into that. Of you then build your own kit, that _does_ follow one of the accepted GM or GS etc mappings, then you have all the percussion in the world. Or Dimension LE with the Garritan Pocket Orchestra? That has SFZs of orchestral percussion. Or if you are happy with the TTS-1 Sounds, then go with that. You do not have the ability to load different sounds, but the standard ones are not that bad and they follow either GM or GS naming, so it's simple. The beauty of the TTS-1 is that it seems to be a moderate-load jack of all trades, excellent for backings, if you are not after the absolute nth in whatever you use it for.

Nick
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/26 19:51:09 (permalink)
    Ok.. just loaded the sd drum map... and see it has fewer choices than I had before. Don't have SFZ, but will search for it on internet. I realize sd2 has limits, most virtual instruments do, but if it can give me the big drum sound like I want, then I will be content. By loading each drum on its own track, I am able to eq the big sound so to speak. And for the percussion instruments, will try out tts1.. for them... thank you again for all your help... it is a shame that cakewalk, does not have a better "how to" than what they do have...
    OldNick
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/26 20:20:14 (permalink)
    Yes, but those choices _should_ all work <G>

I think you will find you have SFZ. Search your PC fro SFZ.dll or even try Insert Softsynths in SONAR and see if it's listed. AFAIK it comes with SONAR. It is controllable, but has no "surface", no GUI But again it's able to play SFZ or SF2 files as well as wave etc, so it's pretty versatile and an ex excellent player that is easy to use..

If you can't find it
    http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/3593/software/Sfz/

I agree that CW's documentation is not enough. However, this stuff all gets so complicated that it would probably choke them the fully document it.

I recommend Simon Cann's book "Cakewalk Synthesizers: from presets to power user. It and the PDFs he makes available online are very useful. If you start using SFZs,then the book really covers it. It's a hefty read, but very clear and well-written and the heft means thorough. On.ly trouble is he covers synths you won't have, and that hurts a bit! <G>

Nick

Nick
    Guitarman1
    RE: session drummer 2 need help 2007/12/26 20:41:13 (permalink)
    you were right I do have the sfz.dll... imagine that.. lol... got your pm also.. thanx for the tip
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1