Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/12/26 22:38:52 (permalink)

Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion

I have a prject that contains an instance of Dim Pro, running multi-timbral, using 3 elements. I am also using TTS-1 for backing.

I want the Filter Cutoff control to learn CC74. I do not have an external controller to send MIDI data, so I use a track of the sequence.

I create a Track and call it Dim Pro MIDI Learn. I don't have to do this but it's convenient. The track is contained on Dim Pro's folder, adn is pointed to Dim Pro, with a MIDI Channel of 3 (3rd element)

Right at the start I place a CC74, value does not matter.

I set the Filter Cutoff of Element 3 of Dim Pro to MIDI Learn.

I then play the sequence for a moment. According to me, that CC74 should teach the knob. What happens, however, is that the control learns CC7. CC7 is Track Volume. I use it in another track, which is pointed to the TTS-1 and on MIDI Channel 1 !.

If I then Mute the TS-1 Track, I _still_ learn CC#7. If I Solo the TTS-1 Track, the Dim Pro knob learns nothing!

If I look at the Event List for all tracks at once, the very first CC# is CC#74 (and by now I have made sure I have several of them), on Track 10 (The Dim Pro Track), Pointing to Chanel 3 (which does not matter anyway. The whole thing seems to ignore Channels)

ehhh??

Anybody help me here?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

8 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/29 17:59:27 (permalink)
    Nobody?

Nick

Nick
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/29 18:48:34 (permalink)
    Nick,

That's just silly. Why would you do this?

Just use the matrix to assign CC# 74 (or whatever) to your filter control.

Then create a controller in the piano roll for that particular CC# and add whatever events you need there.

And go buy an inexpensive MIDI keyboard--you can get a nice Edirol PCR-M 30 for about $150 that has a Sonar ACT driver -- it will change your life!

--kwgm
    OldNick
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/29 20:41:57 (permalink)
    I did that. But that still does not explain the weird behaviour of the Learn.

Buying a keyboard is not worth it for me. When I play I get cracked fingers and bleed all over the keys. That's why I gave up.
    ORIGINAL: kwgm
    Just use the matrix to assign CC# 74 (or whatever) to your filter control.

Then create a controller in the piano roll for that particular CC# and add whatever events you need there.

And go buy an inexpensive MIDI keyboard--you can get a nice Edirol PCR-M 30 for about $150 that has a Sonar ACT driver -- it will change your life!

Nick
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/30 03:29:05 (permalink)
    It appears to me that Dim Pro's MIDI Learn is designed to accept input from a MIDI device driver.

From where in your setup can Dimension Pro access a MIDI input channel from which to learn?

As far as I know, Sonar is not implemented as a MIDI device, however if you know different, please let us know.

By the way, we do sometimes have to bleed for our art, especially if we want to use features like MIDI learn.

--kwgm
    OldNick
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/30 04:03:57 (permalink)
    You can send MIDI data to MIDI Learn. I can't try it now (disc crashed :< ) but if you place a MIDI CC event in the Control Pane, it will get sent to a knob that is set to MIDI learn. I justy can't work out which CC# or how it gets there.

As you say, drawing after setting up MIDI matrix is the way to go. I was just trying this,and got weird results.

I did put up with the sore fingers for a long time, with guitar and keyboards, but in the end it just got severely in the way of my playing. I was never very good anyway, so composing gives me more satisfaction. I have keyboards as "notepads" because I can play for a while.

I once was at a jam session and there was a guy who was playing toms by hand (congas?). He had not been playing long, and was surprisingly good. He was also really having a good time. But after about 1/2 hour his fingers were about twice their normal size and all mottled bule and red. I don't know how he went after that.

Nick

Nick
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/30 08:31:10 (permalink)
    Midi learn might function if instead of multi timbral mode you just did seperate instances?
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/30 18:59:14 (permalink)
    I want the Filter Cutoff control to learn CC74. I do not have an external controller to send MIDI data, so I use a track of the sequence.

Most likely this is the source of your issues. When you press PLAY in the transport, a huge stream of MIDI controllers is sent to all plug-ins (and external MIDI modules) as to reset it. Dimension Pro is learning the first control it gets.

Apart from the obvious solution of using a hardware controller, I suggest you to create an envelope for the MIDI CC and change its value immediately after selecting 'MIDI Learn" to learn a control.

Rapture allows for direct entry of a known MIDI CC, yet Dimension Pro doesn't have this capability.
    OldNick
    RE: Dim Pro MIDI learn confusion 2007/12/30 21:06:29 (permalink)
    Ah! Thanks René

That would certainly explain it. Strangely, though, I thought I had done this successfully in the past. May well be false (poor old brain). This is so annoying! I can't try all this stuff.

I would certainly like Dim to have that ability to assign a MIDI CC# as Rapture can. I am pretty sure I already submitted it as a feature request.

I will give the envelope a tweak when I get up and running again. Christmas/New Year is not a time to have a PC crash....

Nick

ORIGINAL: René

Most likely this is the source of your issues. When you press PLAY in the transport, a huge stream of MIDI controllers is sent to all plug-ins (and external MIDI modules) as to reset it. Dimension Pro is learning the first control it gets.

Apart from the obvious solution of using a hardware controller, I suggest you to create an envelope for the MIDI CC and change its value immediately after selecting 'MIDI Learn" to learn a control.

Rapture allows for direct entry of a known MIDI CC, yet Dimension Pro doesn't have this capability.

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1