recording help

Author
lateralus1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/12/28 00:19:52 (permalink)

recording help

please forgive me if im in the wrong area, or if this has already been asked but im desperate and am looking everywhere for help. I have a Yamaha DTxtremeII drum kit and have been trying to directly record to my laptop, i cannot figure out how to do it ive tryed multiple programs and other forums but havnt had any luck yet. Is it possible to record my kit via USB?? I am just looking for a way to hear myself play, other than recording using the "record" feature on my mp3 player which gives me terrible quality, i again appologize if this post isnt in the right place, if anyone could help i would GREATLY appreciate it, my laptop recognizes when my drumkit is plugged in with the usb cord, i simply cant figure out how to record it to my computer , i again thank anyone who could help me and those who had the patience to read this.

3 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: recording help 2007/12/28 06:17:00 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Cakewalk Instruments forum, Kris.

First, what music software program are you using on the computer? Most people hanging out in the Cakewalk forums use some variation of Cakewalk SONAR or Project5 (though some are only here for the Cakewalk softsynth instruments and use them in other hosts and even on Macs).
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: recording help 2007/12/28 10:54:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lateralus1

please forgive me if im in the wrong area, or if this has already been asked but im desperate and am looking everywhere for help. I have a Yamaha DTxtremeII drum kit and have been trying to directly record to my laptop, i cannot figure out how to do it ive tryed multiple programs and other forums but havnt had any luck yet. Is it possible to record my kit via USB?? I am just looking for a way to hear myself play, other than recording using the "record" feature on my mp3 player which gives me terrible quality, i again appologize if this post isnt in the right place, if anyone could help i would GREATLY appreciate it, my laptop recognizes when my drumkit is plugged in with the usb cord, i simply cant figure out how to record it to my computer , i again thank anyone who could help me and those who had the patience to read this.

Hi there...

You need to take the audio output of your synth, and plug it into your laptop's audio input somehow, but there will be problems, no doubt.

Laptops generally have a so-called 1/8" mini-jack input for a small microphone and synths usually have 2 x 1/4" line-level outputs for L and R channels, so people go to radio shack and buy what at first appears to be the appropriate cables--2 x 6' mono cables with 1/4" jacks, a 1/4" Y connector and a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter cable. But when they get back home and have it all hooked up, the sound quality is unsatisfactory.

Noise is induced in the line because of a mismatch in the electrical characteristics of both ports. Some very industrious users will then learn about products know as a "DI box" that handles the differences in electrical characteristics, and after purchasing a couple of DI boxes, they'll get rid of the noise in the line, only to discover their laptop has A/D converters of minimal quality.

Some will go to the next step and buy a pro sound "card" for their laptop, and ideally, these are the best choice for anyone doing this kind of work. But there's a deeper problem with using laptops in general for digital audio, and it has to do with how the low-level operating system has been configured by the laptop manufacturer.

The sad truth is that some laptops never will be able to record audio without inducing random noise.

With tweaking, some have configured their laptop to work at levels acceptable for them. It all depends on the laptop and the user.

If you wish to explore this further, check out the sound cards available for laptops on any of the large online music stores. You can also search for DI boxes (DI stands for "Direct In"), and you might google "line level mpedance matching" for further info on some of the other points mentioned above.

--kwgm
    lateralus1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: recording help 2007/12/28 12:19:47 (permalink)
    thanks you both, if my laptop is only capable of what kwgm says i will have to try out those other options, in the meantime though to techead i have 2 programs on my computer cakewalk pro audio 9 and adobe audition (i have looked for help with adobe but was unsuccessful) I hope this helps with a solution, but ill look into DI boxes and souncards as well
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1