Greek2Me
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 272
2008/01/14 18:04:30 (permalink)

EMU 0404 Installation

Robert:

I chose to start a new thread since
1) We have wandered FAR past original topic (Multiple Reloads) and
2) Since you are essentially producing a "How To" on this (EMU 0404) card, others might be searching for this topic as well.

So here goes.

I followed your instructions to open Patchmix Console, select new session > Product Default. The next screen seemed obvious, so I left it at Internal 44.1 KHz and clicked OK. However, the screen shot you sent showed five strips present (Wave, ASIO, PCI/L, PCI/R and PCI S/PDIF) with the ASIO apparently active. Mine comes up with the PCI L/R strips active, and no amount of clicking will change it to ASIO. What determines whether or not it is PCI or AISO? It looks kinda like this (thanks, Beagle!)

RMc

20 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/14 21:38:54 (permalink)
    Roger,
    That looks just as it should.
    PCI Card In L, and PCI Card In R are Physical inputs, as is the SP/DIF input. These are blue to differentiate them from the virtual channels.
    Wave L/R will show activity from computer sounds, and other Windows sources.
    The ASIO OUT 31/32 strip will show the output from MC, if you have its output set to E-MU-ASIO OUT.
    While we have your screen shots up, I think I see why you can only select Left or Right inputs one at a a time.
    Look at the top shot, where you have "host" highlighted.
    Look at strips 3 and 4.
    Strip 3-Insert 2 -->ASIO IN 1/2
    Strip 4-Insert 2 -->ASIO IN 3/4
    This refers to the SEND in the strips. These SENDs are essential to make the Input available to your software (MC) to record, BUT, they are STEREO. This is built into the ASIO protocol, and I don't believe there is any way around that. What does this mean to you?
    MC has a two input limit, and ASIO is, by default, using both of them for a single Mono input. If you are a one man show, like me, this is not crippling, but something to be aware of. SHS does not have this limit, and that's why I can enable both inputs.
    I should have mentioned that sooner, but it only gelled today, looking at your screens.
    You see activity in my screen shot, in the ASIO OUT strip because I was playing "Downtown" when I captured the screen.
    It is reflecting the output from SHS. If you play a track or soft synth through MC, you will see activity here as well.
    Let's back up for just a minute.
    Your screens show activity on PCI Card L & R, plus the Main Mix(main out). Is that from your mic?
    At this point, anything that is plugged into the mixer can be heard through the speakers on your amp. If you plug your guitar in, you should hear it. Turn all unused channels on your mixer to Zero, to minimize noise.
    I'm going to migrate the step -by-step from the other thread for anybody tagging along. Let me know where you are at this point.
    Everything appears to be functioning, so let me know if you get stuck.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    RobertB
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/14 21:40:38 (permalink)
    OK, here we go.
    Start yuor computer. Do not open MC3 yet.
    Open Patchmix. Select the New Session button(1). Highlight Product Default (2). Click OK. This will give you Patchmix as seen in (3).

In this particular shot, a track is playing. If you want, you can delete the PCI Card SP/DIF L/R strip if you want. It has no bearing, but it won't hurt to leave it.
    Now, start MC3. Click Options>MIDI Devices. Here, my EdirolPCR-M50 is selected as input, but you would want to select thr E-DSP MIDI Port.

Select NOTHING for output. Click OK.

Now, click Options>Audio. Step through the tabs. Note that some of the settings will be automatic, but you may need to change a few.
    ASIO is the native driver mode for the E-MU 0404. If you are not already in ASIO, you will need to restart MC for this to take effect.
    Note that the I/O buffer size is 128, signifantly smaller that 1024.In this picture, the E-MU has defaulted to 54.4 ms latency.This is way too long. Click the ASIO Panel, and change it to 8ms. If all of your settings match this, we can proceed.

Open a new Project as Normal..
    Now navigate to Sample Content in the Cakewalk (MC) folder on your hard drive. Open Downtown.cwp.
    It should open and pull in the Edirol VSC soft synth. Hit play. Got sound?
    Now stop the track. Click on Input Echo on any track. Hit some keys. you should hear sound with virtually no latency.
    Click the Input Echo on a few more MIDI tracks. They should all play.
    Let me know if this is working so far.

post edited by RobertB - 2008/01/14 21:57:31

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Greek2Me
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/14 22:08:48 (permalink)
    Robert:

I sort of wondered if having the mixer plugged in forced the card to go to the PCI L/R channels. I even tried unplugging the inputs and starting patchmix then, but saw no activity. That makes sense now. The mic was turned off, but the acoustic guitar was plugged in at the time. I wonder if my pickups are that sensitive (or gain was that high) and activity was showing up even thought the guitar was just sitting there. I'll turn them down next time.

Side note: if I press keys on MIDI controler (keyboard), it causes small jumps in activity, but no sound. Why?

Relative to the "one man show", yes it's just me, so (hopefully) that won't be a problem.

I did select E-DSP as output in MC, but even after loading Downtown, got no sound output. Nothing from keyboard either (even though I HAD it before, in something or the other previous "guessed" setting).

Back home, so I'll implement your next step tomorrow.

Thanks.
    RobertB
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/14 22:44:49 (permalink)
    I think the problem with Downtown was an error on my part. When I was working on this, I pulled in a version that apparently already had the synth in the project. My apologies. Once you have opened Downtown.cwp., insert the Edirol VSC synth. The MIDI track outputs should then switch to Edirol VSC. That should fly.
    An acoustic guitar with pickups is remarkably sensitive to room noise. Turn it off if you are not playing it. Use headphones when recording. External speakers can make it difficult, if not impossible to control.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Greek2Me
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/15 09:07:54 (permalink)
    While I'm thinking about this...

Previously I mentioned that I had just accepted the default record rate at 44,100 kbs at the patchmix startup. I just realized one good reason to DO that; I had posted (what I thought was) a really good song on SoundClick. But then somebody listened to it and posted "Did you really MEAN for it to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks?" I realized that I had been experimenting with bit rates and bumped it up to either 48K or 96K (higher is better, right?). But apparently SoundClick likes it at a nice balmy 41, no more, no less. The song played rediculously fast so I pulled it and will remix at the slower rate.

So what are the other rates used for? What is purpose of higher rates that you can't use? Sound studio work, like "Master CDs"? I think I am beginning to understand why some of my exports play on my car stereo, while others will ONLY play in a computer CD drive.

RMc
    Greek2Me
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/15 20:25:14 (permalink)
    SOUNDS! NOISES! Things that sounded even MUSICAL!!!!

Picture me dancing 'round the keyboard like that spasmodic old man in the Six Flags commercial!!!

IT WORKS!!!! (Sorry for shouting....)

Can't believe it FINALLY all came together after nearly a year of off and on trials and frustration, and can't thank board participants enough. I only got to mess around for a bit before I had to head home, but tomorrow night after work will be a sound extravaganza!

I suppose it's a lot like Windows in general, there are so many ways to do a thing that much of my problems came from not being able to narrow things down. Thanks, Robert for EMU specifics and directing me in things I don't even need to mess with (at least initially). Thanks to Beagle for Cakewalk assistance, image information, and general patience.

New songs are in the pipeline, just waiting to get out!

Has anybody figured out that I'm ECSTATIC??????

Gotta go, a long evening with the infamous tutorial #8 awaits...

RMc

Ginoskein auton kai gnoridzo auton, touto ho skopos moi

To know Him, and to make Him known, this my goal.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/15 21:24:07 (permalink)
    The higher sampling rates create a denser sound, more full, thicker, but can eat up your HD space, and processing power. Once finished with your high-sampling/bit-rate song, you would then mix it down to CD standard 44.1 kHz and 16 bit.
    Glad you got it going.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/15 23:43:07 (permalink)
    Higher rates are good for effects, especially time sensitive ones like delay and reverbs. But you still have to bring it all down to 44100/16 for cd burns.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    RobertB
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/15 23:47:34 (permalink)
    I'm almost as glad to see that as you are Roger!!
    It's been a long road, and I've still got the old e-mails.
    Don't sweat the higher sample rates. Most of your plug-ins only work up to 48k anyway, and there is no real need to put your CPU and HD through the stress.
    Go, man, go!!!

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/16 23:34:05 (permalink)
    My brother the programmer has an Emu Proteus, and when I was helping him set it up, that patch mix thing befuddled me, and him. We did get it working, but my experience with it was so confusing, I didn't really consider Emu when shopping for a new device.
    Glad you got it going, Roger, and thanks, Robert.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/16 23:49:52 (permalink)
    There are things that you can do with the patch mix part of the emu cards I can't figure out. They are really versitile setups, the effects included are extensive, and the proteus is great, if a little of a cpu hog, the manual is like two inches thick, I printed it out and left it in a file. But I just use it as an interface, just working with c/w is enough of a brain drain for this old head
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    nightrhyme
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/29 18:47:22 (permalink)
    Could any of you audio wizards please explain to me just how I can enable simple asio out from computer wave ? I got this card for analog output only. All manuals I could find is very focused on external input sources and since I’m not into audio mixing I don’t understand the terms used in the manual stribe, inserts etc..
    and How do I control treble and bass ? I think it sounds kinda dark..
    I attached a screenshot of my DSP:

Any help will be highly appreciated, Thanx in advance

post edited by nightrhyme - 2008/01/29 19:07:10
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/29 21:34:09 (permalink)
    I really don't know anything about the EMU software, hopefully RobertB will be along and help you out - he's the expert on this card.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RobertB
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/29 23:17:15 (permalink)
    nightrhyme,
    My current configuration is exactly as you show. Can you elaborate on what you are wanting to do?

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    nightrhyme
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/30 08:07:57 (permalink)
    Thanx for reply.
    I'll try to elaborate. I'm a HIFI entusiast and I bought this card to get decent sound from my pc. So what I want is to make sure the output from my EMU is asio when I for instance play music with winamp, mediaplayer classic etc..and this control panels (Patchmix DSP) confuses me. Also I would like to know if it's possible to control treble and bass in patchmix ?

Maybe it's already asio out default. I just wanted to make sure.

Hope I was a little clearer this time :-)
    post edited by nightrhyme - 2008/01/30 10:35:27
    nightrhyme
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/31 07:46:47 (permalink)
    now one knows ?
    RobertB
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/31 08:54:37 (permalink)
    Oops. Sorry, after ten fun filled hours at work, I fogot to check on this when I got home.
    In the mode you show, the outs should be ASIO. That has more to do with timing and latency, and if you are just listening to audio playback it shouldn't really matter.
    There is an EQ, but I never use it, and I don't remember exactly how to engage it. That's what I need to check on.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    nightrhyme
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/31 10:13:11 (permalink)
    Thanx for reply
    Ok if I am running Asio out how come I am able to hear several diffrent audio sources (winamp, mediaplayer etc.) at the same time ? I read somewhere that when running asio, only one audio source can be heard at the time. Is there no truth to that ?
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/31 10:26:09 (permalink)
    winamp, mediaplayer, etc are not SOURCES, they are players. SOURCES are soundcards. you can only use one soundcard in your system at a time.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RobertB
    RE: EMU 0404 Installation 2008/01/31 20:36:54 (permalink)
    nightrhyme,
    Click on the FX button (top right corner). The EQ's are in the Core Effects and Equalization menus. Click and drag your selection into an open window in the Inserts strip unde the meter in the WAVE strip.
    The Environment menu has some reverb presets, if you really want to have some fun.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1