NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions

Author
Marketing [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 276
2008/01/17 04:31:51 (permalink)

NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions

We are broadcasting events online from the NAMM show online this year. We'll even be taking questions from the online audience. Please post your questions for the talk below in this thread.

Hip Hop Production in SONAR 7 with DJ Johnny Juice
Saturday, January 19th 2008, 4 PM PST

SONAR user, DJ Johnny Juice is a legendary DJ/Producer and EMMY nominated Composer, whose work, especially with the first two Public Enemy albums as a member of the Bomb Squad, has been embedded into Hip-Hop history. In addition to Public Enemy his scratch and production work has graced recordings by the Beastie Boys, KRS-One, Slick Rick, Darryl "DMC" McDaniels, Rob Swift, Dan the Automator, Ashanti, Vanessa Williams, Martin Scorsese's "The Blues" Documentary series, and ESPN's "ALI RAP" Juice’s talks are as funny as they are informative, and always packed.

Click this link to view the talk online as it happens (Saturday 1/19, 4 PM PST)
post edited by Marketing [Cakewalk] - 2008/01/17 05:34:46

8 Replies Related Threads

Dream Logic Audio
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 15:31:50 (permalink)
    Could you talk a little about mastering hip-hop music? What should a hip-hop artist be looking for when choosing a mastering studio? Anything that should be avoided?

i7 2600k │Win 7x64 │VS-100 Interface │Sonar Platinum │Melodyne Editor │Waves Diamond │Ozone 5 Advanced │All Slate Digital Plugs QL Spaces │Hollywood Orchestral Diamond │EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum & Symphonic Choirs & Silk & Gypsy & RA & Voices of Passion & Stormdrum 2 & Goliath & Solo Violin & The Dark Side & Pianos & Ministry of Rock 2 │Superior Drummer 2 │Addictive Drums 2 │Sample Modeling Libraries │Komplete Sibelius
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 19:23:38 (permalink)
    fantastic presentation... this is the kind of SONAR specific workflow info I hoped to see on these streams.

best regards,
    mike
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 19:27:12 (permalink)
    I missed the begining is it possible to re-address how the scratch sound is created/constructed

thanks,
    mike
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 19:37:03 (permalink)
    Absolutely awesome presentation, I hope this gets put on youtube.

Roger

billruys
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 19:46:16 (permalink)
    Oh, this stuff is good!

EDIT: Wow, that was the best presentation so far. I am not a Hip Hop guy and I wasn't sure this would be for me. But I am blown away. That was exciting, informative, and interesting. I come away feeling inspired. Thank you so much Cakewalk for allowing me to "attend" NAMM from down here at the bottom of the world. Please pass on my thanks to DJ Johnny Juice.
    post edited by billruys - 2008/01/19 20:11:21

Bill Ruys
    Silicon Audio

Dream Logic Audio
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 19:56:54 (permalink)
    I coulda' watched another hour of that! Great job.

i7 2600k │Win 7x64 │VS-100 Interface │Sonar Platinum │Melodyne Editor │Waves Diamond │Ozone 5 Advanced │All Slate Digital Plugs QL Spaces │Hollywood Orchestral Diamond │EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum & Symphonic Choirs & Silk & Gypsy & RA & Voices of Passion & Stormdrum 2 & Goliath & Solo Violin & The Dark Side & Pianos & Ministry of Rock 2 │Superior Drummer 2 │Addictive Drums 2 │Sample Modeling Libraries │Komplete Sibelius
    muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/19 20:07:11 (permalink)
    Definitely the most informative presentation of the weekend, shame there wasn't a Q+A at the end.

johnny_juice
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: NAMM Sat 4 PM Hip Hop Production Questions 2008/01/26 10:00:50 (permalink)

Hey thanks guys! I appreciate the love. If any of you have any specific questions please email them to me...johnnyjuice@gmail.com

I would have had a Q&A session but time was a factor and I didn't want to spill over into the listening panel.

As far as mastering. I would recommend that you ALWAYS sit in on the mastering session. You have to see a mastering engineer do his (or her) thing in order to truly appreciate what they do. Obviously, your material will be mastered with respect to the genre and "sound" you are going for. If you do deep house/trance there will be more of an emphasis on low end and "boominess" as well as having "loud" masters (because most of these songs end up as 12" vinyl pressings and will be played in night clubs.)

Try to find a Mastering engineer who is known for mastering your "type" of music.

As far as addressing how the scratch sound was created...I had the band actually play the song (at least their parts as they all lived in different areas of the US) then I imported them into a project and created a "mix". Then I chopped up the stereo mix into pieces and imported them into my DVS (digital vinyl system - M-Audio's Torq to be precise), and THEN...(whew) I scratched the individual pieces and recorded them separately to give a syncopated rhythmic feel to the music.

I hope this explains it correctly!

PEace

Johnny "Juice" Rosado
    Rebel Without A Pause
    www.publicenemy.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1