On-line collaborations

Author
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
2008/01/23 19:21:04 (permalink)

On-line collaborations

OT probably but so what

What's the current state of the art for on-line recording collaborations? Is an album possible or has it been done many times already. Are albums an old-school way of looking at things anymore? Is there a bright future in this business?

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.

8 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/01/23 19:51:21 (permalink)
    Plenty of people do it. Just set up an FTP site and you can all upload and download files easily enough without any specialized tools. You can just exchange the raw 24 bit audio files if you aren't all using the same DAW. Use a lossless compression like WMA to exchange the files, to significantly reduce the up/download times without any quality loss.

There might be some more elaborate way to do it, but plenty of folks use just simple file exchange.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/01/23 20:06:03

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/01/23 19:56:03 (permalink)
    Online collabs are definitely alive and well. They are a great way to get things done and can be as productive as the folks involved want them to be. There are lots of collab results right here in our own Songs forum as well as many other forums around the net. I know of some professional musicians that collaborate over the internet and produce retail CDs. The sky's the limit really.

And I think Albums are alive and well too ... but I fear the trend in the general population is more towards single track cafeteria-style music shopping.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/01/24 13:36:30 (permalink)
    Larry, given that I'm simply a home amateur: almost everything I do these days is an online collaboration. I'm currently working on separate projects with a fellow in San Diego, a guy in Connecticut, a friend I haven't physically seen in three decades in Ohio, a guy whose whereabouts I don't even know. Look at Larry Hansen: he's working with half the population of the northern hemisphere. Granted, we aren't accustomed to working with the pro equipment you have, the point being that it's exremely easy to do. I upload wav files to an online storage account (Yousendit, in my case). They download the files and import them into a project. Simple.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Dan Barnes
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 554
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/01/25 22:27:51 (permalink)

Hardware:
    Intel Duo Quad 2.8 each, 4GB RAM
    Delta 1010LT, GE-Force FX8200
    Software:
    Sonar X2a, BFD Drum Module XFL
    Dimension Pro, Native Instruments B4 II
    Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3, Sound Forge 9.0
    fixerman
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/02/03 08:59:09 (permalink)
    Collaborations on line are easy now. I just joined up with "Alice Sweet Alice" and I never even met the people face to face. We have a CD for sale on the internet also. The only really hard part is the advertising and selling of the product.

MCPro24 , Sonar 4.0.4 Studio, HP Compac Presario laptop ,Widows Vista - 32 bit O.S, Conexant Hi-Def Smart Audio , Tascam US-122 ,  2 gig ram , 200 gig hard drive ,Intel Pentium Dual core. 

http://members.soundclick.com/Fixerman

wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/02/05 16:55:01 (permalink)
    I think doing projects grouped into 'albums' is still a relevant thing. It gives a solid taste of what an artist sounds like, as well as a chance to grow recording wise on your own - as writing 5+ songs that all seem to live happily together in one place is a skill that requires attention IMHO.

I think online collabs will become a norm, I think they already are for the typical non-professional home recording musician - most every site I'm on there are alot more collabs today than 2 or 3 years ago. I find collabs to be a fun way to learn how to write differently and learn from others. Also a great teacher for mixing.

Making money from it, I don't know...I guess you have to define what making money is first. Profit? Covering the costs? I'd like it if I could just get enough to cover more hosting costs or something. How do you know when you could make money?
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/02/09 14:23:38 (permalink)
    i've collab'ed a couple times and it's always added some depth to my music. however i've been approaching it as a "i need this track replaced with a live instrument" rather than a truly collaborative ground-up effort. if there is a business model, i see it as pro session musicians getting paid to do what they do over the internet rather than in a traditional studio setting (although for most live stuff they probably ought to have a decent-sounding room and good equipment anyway). i would certainly consider paying for pro-quality tracks to augment my work - i don't mind collab'ing for free, but when you are paying for it, you can be obsessively nitpicky and not feel bad

i think there is still a future for the album, but they will have to be coherently put together and without the fluff tracks or "b-sides" or people won't buy them. i think a lot of home musicians really don't understand the concept of an album as anything more than a collection of 10 songs, and i don't see an online market for stuff like that. just my opinion though.

- jack the ex-cynic
    dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: On-line collaborations 2008/02/09 15:10:13 (permalink)
    If you ever want me to do a bass track, Larry (or anyone), just ask and I'll give it a shot. Feel free to throw it away if you don't like what I did.

Some of My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1