MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice.

Author
Freeze1st
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1213
2008/01/24 19:12:54 (permalink)

MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice.

I stopped playing my guitar and music a long time ago for reasons I really don't want to go into because certain people's feelings might get hurt and I don't want that, and have just been getting back into it here lately, and having some fun. The only person I have to rely on now is me! I've had the Boss BR1600cd for a year or maybe a little longer now and for reasons that would take up too much of anyone's time, I didn't spend much time recording hardly anything. It seemed like a lot to learn for an old school kinda cassette recorder player such as myself.

Anyway, I spend a lot of time on my computer and on the internet a lot of times talking sports so I saw MC4 on an office depot shelf so I purchased MC4. I thought what the heck, it might inspire me to make my computer time more rewarding and get me back into music which I love to play and record. Well it has.

I have been learning about MC4 a lot from reading the supplied information with the program and from these forums here on this website. I've learned many tricks on how to record that have been priceless realy. Being able to apply them to the music is another matter because my timing is so rusty even with a metronome or other methods I am still off a tad, I've gotta practice some more, hahaha Well practice will come in the form of recording some stuff I guess, I just can't do those scale runs anymore.

I didn't know much about the BossBr1600 when I recorded a few tunes which I didn't really take the time to read on how to use it because like I said I was used to using cassettes many years ago and honestly just haven't or didn't have the time. Plus, when I got it I thought it would inspire me to get back into music but it didn't at the time.

Ok, since I have gotten MC4, I find myself at a crossroads so to speak. From what I have learned from reading about MC4 it's making all the features much clearer to me on how to use not only MC4 but the BR1600 better and more effective. Somebody could post specs and all that about how the two compare, but the bottom line is "Which one would I be better off to record with to get the best sounding song"? Or that is I know compression means a lot when it comes to the final mix, I know MC4 has that and so does the BR1600.

Right now I have an M-Audio 2496 sound card, and have been using my Br1600 going from the line out of that into the sound card to record on MC4. It seems to work good because I can use all the features of the BR1600 and MC4.

MC4 is a lot quicker and easier to get to certain things.

I guess what I am trying to ask is : "If I record my songs on the BR1600 will they turn out better than if I record them on MC4 Sound when it comes to the final mix sound wise?"

I have been looking seriousally at the Sonar 6 XL and may purchase it soon.

I wanted to ask that to try and save some time because I don't know about all this KHZ's and all this technical stuff, I usually just record my music, although I am learning more all the time.

I'm just mainly wondering which one will produce the best results - "MC4 or BR1600", and also if I get Sonar 6 XL will that be better than both of those with my sound card? I have listened to examples of songs produced with MC4 and Sonar 6 XL and Boss BR1600 that came as demo's with the recorder, but I don't know which one will produce the best results in the end OVERALL?

Any advice on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

I am really interested in Sonar 6 XL, but I am still learning about what I have and just don't want to spend money to get a better result in recording if there is no need to do so with the equiptment and software that I have now that's why I am asking.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post, it's a lot to explain, I appologize in advance for all the reading.

post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/01/24 20:31:00

29 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 21:35:53 (permalink)
    I think they will both reproduce sound well. PC recording and editing is easier for me. A few months back my old guitar player was telling me he wanted to get a Boss recorder, I forget which. I was trying to get him to buy MC or HS instead, since he had a new, fast computer. He bought the Boss. And why? you ask. Because his daughter spent so much time on the computer! Kids!
    So I would probably recommend a program, if someone was already pc-ready, insteady of a recorder.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 21:41:35 (permalink)
    as far as quality goes, they are both equal as far as I can tell from the specs. the biggest concern I had was if the boss was a 16bit or 24bit A/D and it's 24bit, so the quality matches your 2496 and MC. In my opinion it would be whichever you would be most comfortable with. MC/SHS are going to be more easily expandable and that's the biggest advantage of working on a computer where software plugins are numerously availble. but the boss certainly is very portable and convenient!

you must ask yourself.....how did I get here?.....NO....which is better for me?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 22:18:44 (permalink)
    Thanks 57Gregy and thanks Beagle. When I keep saying I am getting back into music, I mean that literally, it's like starting over again playing music really. It's been a long time, MC4 has given me some inspiration and the bug to play again. I want go into detail as to why I got out music but, I feel good getting back into it.

Beagle, Ya know I could have said yeah that's a 24 bit processor, I read that already, but it didn't explain what that meant in the documentation the sound card came with, it was just recommended by the store person and I had no choice at the time but to take that as a good recommendation. Honestally everything else I was recommended by this person has worked out great! I know nothing about bits because I am old school when it comes to music I used to use the old school 4 track cassette tape to record, when I say that I mean 80's kinda music.

My explanations just keep getting worse and worse, I hope everyone understands what I am talking about.

I appologize for being so un-informed so to speak when it comes to modern music recording technics.

Thank you for your time everyone.
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 22:28:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beagle

You must ask yourself.....how did I get here?.....NO....which is better for me?

As always Beagle you have answered my question. Probably sometime next week I will purchase Sonar 6 XL and wait for it to arrive. Probably friday of next week if I get outa work in time.

I'm still gonna use my Boss BR1600 to record by using the STEREO LINE OUTS to go out into my STEREO M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcards LINE IN inputs to record on MC4 and soon Sonar 6 XL. Is that a bad Idea?

I'm thinking that way, I can connect my guitar and bass, and use all the effects from the Boss Br1600 and use the Boss BR1600 for it's phantom power for mics and effects for the guitar/bass/vocals/ and tweak it with the MC4 and soon sonar. I also have a set of DTEXPLORER DRUMS by yamaha, I haven't even gotten into using them yet. I'm a terrible drummer, but luckilly my brother is a great drummer so maybe from time to time I can have him play on a few things I record. I have a Radioshack MD1160 Keyboard, yeah nothing fancy but that's what I got. I don't have a lot of money even though I keep talking about this equiptment that I have, I wanna get a better keyboard but the price ranges and options are really overwealming for someone like me, because I don't really play keyboards or piano, I just use them to compliment my guitar music. It will give me a lot more options when it comes to sound goes though I think by using that method to record going outa the Boss Br1600 into the AudioPhile 2496, I'm not sure, what do you think? I hope I am doing things the right way but I'm used to using old analog cassette recording methods so I dunno?

I have a lot to learn, and I am sorry to keep picking everyones brain on how to do certain things, but I know I am getting world class advice whenever I ask about something and that's the main reason I ask because I have heard some great productions when it comes to songs and sounds by clicking on so many people's "links" to listen to their sounds or songs.

Thank you for your time and information!

I hope everyone doesn't think that I am somebody that just plays one style of music, because I am not, I just have a lot to learn and I'm looking for information on everything I can right now. I'm fired up about playing again and it's a good feeling, one that I have missed for a long time!.

post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/01/24 23:06:26
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 22:31:11 (permalink)
    Freeze,
    Personally, the little screen on the Boss would drive me nuts for anything extensive.
    With your M-Audio 2496, and the Boss acting as a mixer/preamp, you have a good hardware foundation.
    I'm not seeing the specs on the rest of your computer, and that would be good information to have.
    One thing that would steer me away from the Boss is that even though it has 24 bit A/D converters, it saves the recorded tracks as 16 bit.
    I'm getting this from the Boss website.
    Without getting into the stuff that reads like Charlie Brown's parents, this tells me that software solutions like MC or SHS6XL handle your recorded tracks with a bit more respect.
    My feeling is that you have the capacity to get a better sounding mix using MC4.
    That said, with the Boss unit, you have an excellent field recorder, if the situation should arise where you need to record something at a remote location. You can bring your tracks back, and work with them in the computer.
    MC4 and SHS6XL (Sonar Home Studio 6 XL) share the same audio engine. It is very good. The software won't by default give you a better mix, but it does give you the tools, and your mixes will get better as you learn to use them. You can also bring in other tools (VST effects and softsynths), to give you even more power and control. You are not limitted to what is built in, as you are with a hardware device.
    SHS6 XL has more room to work and some added features compared to MC4. I also use a lot of 3rd party plug-ins, compressors, EQs, reverbs, etc., that would work equally well in MC4.
    You may find the extras in SHS6XL inspiring (I do).
    I personally think that SHS6XL is probably the best bang-for-the buck program available, from anybody.
    Is MC4 a capable program? Absolutely. Will SHS6XL give you tools that will allow you to produce a better mix? Yes, it will.
    Will you see the difference right away? Yes and no. Some things, like Session Drummer 2 and Dimension LE are obvious.
    Others, not so much, but you will come to appreciate them.
    You have posed a ligitimate question. With something like this, where there is so much room to grow, I have learned to get more than what I think I need now, because in two months, the difference has me hobbled up.
    My post wasn't quite as long as yours, but I tried.
    You have my thoughts. Weigh them, and take it for what it's worth.

Edit: Man, I take way too long to compose my thoughts. You guys got it handled while I was thinking.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/01/24 22:48:44

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 23:12:43 (permalink)

Thanks as always RobertB!

I have an Emachine w/Celeron D - "I am still confused on what it compares to when it comes to computer chips and using software" I mean Pentium 4 and stuff like that, it's like a shot in the dark if I try and buy a program, or software I should say, I don't know it's limits.

I have an Emachine 3.33 Ghz w/ Celeron D, also 2GB ram, and a M-Audio Delta 2496 using the new drivers for Vista 32 bit I should add whatever that means for the sound card which they just come out with, and I also use a flash card 1GB that is "Windows ready boost ready", I have Windows Home Premium. I have a Pinnacle TV Tuner USB HDTV Prostick 800e Module connected to my computer and a Logitech Quickcam USB Webcam, along with a HP photosmart D5160 Printer, I have a few other USB things connected like game controllers and other stuff. I know my computer isn't what I would consider strong but it seems to do what I want it to do for now, and that's more that most people in my life right now so I will take that as a blessing.

My speakers for this computer are a Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround sound. Although to use the surround sound with this M-Audiophile 2496 I have to select a key called matrix, that puts it in surround sound mode or simulated mode with this sound card, I don't like that so I deselected it when I mixed one song w/MC4 because I thought it might cause problems playing back the song on the final mix on a CD on a standard player that didn't have the same speaker setup.

I appologize for the bad punctuation, I type faster than I think sometimes, and sometimes I don't think before I type.
    RobertB
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 23:29:31 (permalink)
    Your system specs look fine. It's not cutting edge, but you have more headroom that I do here.
    I don't usually run into problems until I really pile on the synths and effects. Don't add effects until you are done recording, then back your latency out to 20-50ms while you mix and edit.
    Keep your speakers in stereo mode. MC4 and SHS6XL don't support surround, and the artificial surround could get hinky, just as you suspect.
    No worries on punctuation. I'm an ok typist, but my keyboard doesn't always pay attention.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/24 23:59:17 (permalink)
    You mentioned a keyboard above, a few posts up. Just wanted to mention, I bought a yamaha psr-172, only 63 keys, not even sure what sounds it has on board 'cause I never use them a few years back. It has midi in/out, and I use the soft synths and sound fonts. The point is, it only cost about $125, and I don't think I need any thing more to do what I do, just backing tracks like piano chords or organ chods (not a mammabear piano virtuoso here) so, for a small price you can get eveything you need.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/25 03:02:35 (permalink)
    Oh, I already answered in another forum but I just thought of something else . The BR has 24 bit converters but I think it writes everything to the disk in 16 bit. Using the BR as a kind of preamp to go to your computer might not be such a bad idea. There are some cool effects chains in the BR. Using the BR to convert your anolog audio signal to digital and then back to audio to go out your line outs to the computer where it gets converted to digital again is not the best way to handle the signal. If the 2496 has a digital in you should use the BRs digital out. That way you only convert once. When I use my BR, which isn't very often, this is how I use it. I think you have to set something in the BRs mixer section to use it this way. I'm not at home now so I can't look it up. HTH

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/25 22:11:46 (permalink)
    Thanks as always RobertB! I have a lot to learn, and I'll be honest "I'm not afraid to ask, nor am I afraid to admitt if I am wrong or just plain stupid". LOL

I've been reading around the threads and I can tell you know what you are talking about! Thanks again.
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/25 22:32:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information gamblerschoice, You are right about Mamabear she is a virtuoso! I really wanna upgrade to the Sonar 6XL, it may be a couple of weeks because I had a few setbacks, but I am definetally gonna update. My keyboard was a Christmas present a few years ago, it does have midi in and midi out and the touch response. I think 61 keys but I am guessing right now because I am on a different computer. I am mainly a guitar player, but I guess you can say I dabble playing music with the keyboards so to speak, or that is getting back into music and have a lot to re-learn and learn. I am gonna be using the keyboard a whole lot more here soon. I can't wait!

Thanks for the info!
    RobertB
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/25 23:25:55 (permalink)
    Thank you, Freeze.
    A little over two years ago, i was completely new to this. The community here is awesome. The people here helped me, and the best way I can repay them is to help others get their legs under them. We still learn new things all the time. You are in good company. Ask questions in the various forums, just as you are doing. Someone will have an answer.
    Shameless plug: I had the pleasure of working with Kenny (who replied to you in the Techniques form) on Fishing Buchanan Creek.
    This is my crown jewel. Give it a listen, if you are so inclined.
    And spend some time in the Songs forum. Some phenomenal talent there, and that should whet your whistle. Enjoy the ride!

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/25 23:50:08 (permalink)
    Thankyou for the information! I never would have thought of that, you have me wondering now on how I can get the Boss working with that kinda connection. The 2496 does seem to have a digital in/out, and the Boss1600 has a digital in and out connectors. It looks just like a normal stereo plugin, can you use standard stereo type cables or do you need special kinda cables? Will standard stereo type plugins work? I looked a little bit in the Br1600 book it doesn't tell you much of nothing really about it, I also looked on the console itself but I didn't see any kinda selection that I really could see that would change things, like an out selection for digital connect, I bet it's there but I just couldn't find it "Or that is I didn't really know what I was looking for". If it takes a special kinda cable then what kinda cable is it, or I should say what should I ask for other than just digital and where can I purchase them?

Thank you for taking the time to help me and for your information!
    fixerman
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/26 04:06:42 (permalink)
    You could also save your tracks in the BR1600 and share the audio files with your computer via the USB connections. There would be no loss of data and no added noise. Of course there might be a learning curve to be able to do that but it works really well. And if my memory serves me correctly your computer should recognize the BR as soon as you hook it up ("found new hardware" pop up). That's my 2 cents worth.
    post edited by fixerman - 2008/01/26 04:23:53

MCPro24 , Sonar 4.0.4 Studio, HP Compac Presario laptop ,Widows Vista - 32 bit O.S, Conexant Hi-Def Smart Audio , Tascam US-122 ,  2 gig ram , 200 gig hard drive ,Intel Pentium Dual core. 

http://members.soundclick.com/Fixerman

Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/26 08:14:51 (permalink)
    Thanks fixerman, I'm starting to see the possibilities now, it's amazes me at how much you can actually do that I didn't know nothing about, well I should say that I still know nothing about but I'm learning.

Thanks again
    57Gregy
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/26 11:30:36 (permalink)
    Any kind of RCA cord should work with the digital in/out. Don't let anyone talk you into getting a $50 Monster cord, though.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

lespaulman35
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/26 13:55:52 (permalink)
    From the Boss Owner Manual page 36
    <quote> DIGITAL OUT connector
    This coaxial-type connector is used to output digital audio signals, and its output is identical to that of the LINE OUT jack.

It is important to note that standard audio cables cannot be used with the DIGITAL OUT connector and that a commercially available digital-audio cable or video cable should be used for this purpose. <quote>

I say try what you have and if it works and your happy with it don't worry about it. If it don't go to your local music store and tell them you need a digital audio cable.

I seem to recall having to set something to get it to work but its been a long time since I used it. Try it and if you have trouble I'll try to help you with it. I might not be remembering incorrectly. You can save the the files to the hard disk in the BR but if you do they will be rendered to 16 bit. If that doesn't bother you, you can import them right into MC thru a USB cable. And if your interested, although I've never used it and I'm not endorsing it, there is a guy on Yahoo's cakewalk forum who has developed a program to import whole songs at a time directly from the BR into Calkewalk products.

ORIGINAL: Freeze1st

Thankyou for the information! I never would have thought of that, you have me wondering now on how I can get the Boss working with that kinda connection. The 2496 does seem to have a digital in/out, and the Boss1600 has a digital in and out connectors. It looks just like a normal stereo plugin, can you use standard stereo type cables or do you need special kinda cables? Will standard stereo type plugins work? I looked a little bit in the Br1600 book it doesn't tell you much of nothing really about it, I also looked on the console itself but I didn't see any kinda selection that I really could see that would change things, like an out selection for digital connect, I bet it's there but I just couldn't find it "Or that is I didn't really know what I was looking for". If it takes a special kinda cable then what kinda cable is it, or I should say what should I ask for other than just digital and where can I purchase them?

Thank you for taking the time to help me and for your information!

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    57Gregy
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/26 18:53:10 (permalink)
    It is important to note that standard audio cables cannot be used with the DIGITAL OUT connector

Thanks for checking that, Harvey. That's what I get for assuming that wires are wires.

Greg 

lespaulman35
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/27 11:09:32 (permalink)
    I've heard of people trying it and it working. I actually have a digital cable on mine because I have such a long run. 9'

Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/27 14:35:06 (permalink)
    Thanks 57 Gregy, I haven't tried hooking it up yet, but I am fixing to try it. I've been away for a day or two and just now got back to my computer. Thanks again
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/27 14:37:32 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'm fixing to try it, I've been away for a day or so. Thanks for the information and the help.
    Thanks again
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/28 20:32:46 (permalink)
    THANKYOU for the advice! I finally got a chance to try my RCA cable and it's working great! I can tell a huge difference when it comes to turning up the volume on the BR1600, before going out the stereo line outs I would have to really turn it up to get the volume levels right recording on MC4, now I don't have to turn it up much at all, it sounds a lot cleaner too.

Thanks again for the information
    post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/01/28 20:48:59
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/28 22:57:39 (permalink)
    I figured something out with my setup that I should mention that is a little strange, if I turn the boss br1600 off while it's still connected to my computer using the digital out, I get a hissing sound from my speakers on my computer, I can simpley reset the computer and everything is fine, I just need to remember not to turn the boss off after I am done recording untill I shut down the computer.

Another strange thing, whenever I loaded up a song to record a guitar track even though I didn't hit echo on a new track to hear my guitar I can still hear my guitar on MC4, the thing is though I tried adding a the new guitar track in this song I have been working on and didn't seem to have any problems while recording it, no bleed over or nothing like that, I haven't tried recording without hitting echo off yet. I wonder though, since I have changed my settings to record outa the boss if I should change my main driver settings instead of ASIO to MME 32Bit or WDM/KS. Since everything seems to be working I'm kinda afraid to change anything.
    Thanks again for the info.
    post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/01/28 23:20:21
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/28 23:30:23 (permalink)
    ..."Since everything seems to be working I'm kinda afraid to change anything."

Don't fix what ain't broke...
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    lespaulman35
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/29 01:10:29 (permalink)
    I agree with Albert. If its working don't try to fix it. I don't think changing the driver setting will matter anyway.

Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/29 07:43:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'm gonna change anythin.
    Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/29 18:43:11 (permalink)
    Everything seems to be working right, "BUT", today I found that if I don't have the boss br1600cd on then I will get a hissing sound from my speakers. The only way to get rid of it is "Not restarting the computer after turning it off", the only way I can get rid of it is by shutting down the computer and turning "ON" the bossbr1600cd and then starting the computer.

Also I noticed with this M-Audiophile Delta Series 2496 internal sound card, I have noticed that if I try and change the M-Audio Delta main console to where it's at a sample rate of 48000 instead of 44100HZ setting and then try and run MC4, MC4 even if I change it first or after I change the settings on the MAudio control panel, when I run MC4 it says that it's not supported by my sound card "Even though it's selectable on the control panel of the M-audio control panel". MC4 tells me that it will auto set my driver to a sample rate of 44100 and a 32 bit recording rate - "Is that good?". I dunno.

This setup really isn't no problem for me as far as turning on the boss for sound to not having to hear the hissing, But it makes me wonder if there isn't a problem there to cause the hissing, I don't know because I've never used this setup before.

I've tried simple unplugging the digital out cables to see if that made a difference but it didn't.

What I'm thinking is something in the driver settings with this setup are looking to read a digital signal for the input sound and when it doesn't get that then it pitches litterally a hissy fit! Only to let me know that my signal isn't there.

This sound card does have a digital in/out and I do have the out from the sound card going back to the Boss, I'm gonna try disconnecting that but I don't think it will make a difference. The only reason I say that is because I think I've done that yesterday, but I can't remember if I did or didn't.

It's really no big deal, I like this setup except the hissing when I restart the computer without the Boss turned on, I'm just kinda wondering though if that I might tear something up or burn a channel or something like that.

post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/01/29 19:11:52
    lespaulman35
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/01/30 02:26:17 (permalink)
    For the hiss can you go into the Delta control panel and turn down the faders for the digital audio? And does that help? The BR samples at 44.1K only. I don't know if MC4 lets you use multiple sample rates. I only have MC2002. I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow multiple sample rates.

Freeze1st
    RE: MC4 and Boss Br1600 CD, I need some advice. 2008/02/01 20:32:32 (permalink)
    Thanks again, it's strange really, I can turn on my computer and then turn on the speaker system I have and I will hear a hiss, but once I turn on the Boss with the computer on the hissing stops, then I can can try MC4 and there is no sound, I can also try windows media player but there is no sound and no hissing. I've figured out though that I need to turn the Boss on first and then my computer and there's no problem. It's strange. I did look at the control panel and the faders are all the way down. It's really no big deal, I just need to remember to turn my boss br1600 on and then my computer.

Thanks for the information! I messed around with a song idea with this new setup and the sound is so much better than the way I recording previousally that I'm shocked really. I'm gonna leave everything setup like it is. Who knows it could be something like an electricity problem because I am running everything on powerbars and I know those and lights can be notorious for problems like that. Or maybe I need to get the proper cables, but then again, it works fine using the method I was talking about above, so I think I'm gonna save my money and purchase Sonar 6XL here in a couple of weeks instead of spending money on the digital cables for now. This new setup is great!

Thanks again for the information and help
    post edited by Freeze1st - 2008/02/01 20:49:34
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1