Sound card not working with sonar 7!

Author
leadreed
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2008/01/27 19:53:19 (permalink)

Sound card not working with sonar 7!

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with a problem for quit some time now. I have Sonar 7 Producer and I'm running my mics through the firebox. The drivers for the firebox are working fine, but the drivers for my Creative SB X-FI and SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio get errors when i try to use them (both output and input drivers). The Audio Driver Error says:

The following drivers either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application.

I'm running a 64-bit Vista and I'm hoping I don't have to switch to xp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you need any more info, please ask, i'll be happy to get it for you.

Thanks so much!

Adam

13 Replies Related Threads

leadreed
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/01/28 11:58:08 (permalink)
    Can anyone point me in the right direction here, please?
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/01/28 12:29:51 (permalink)
    Given: I've never used Vista
    Given: I use Sonar 6
    Given: no one else has offered help yet:

Run your wave profiler. Options>Audio>General, click the wav profiler button and follow prompts
    M

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/01/28 12:46:20 (permalink)
    Simple, you should only be using the FireBox, so disable the X-FI and SoundMax drivers inside SONAR!

Sven

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/01/28 13:11:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: leadreed

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with a problem for quit some time now. I have Sonar 7 Producer and I'm running my mics through the firebox. The drivers for the firebox are working fine, but the drivers for my Creative SB X-FI and SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio get errors when i try to use them (both output and input drivers). The Audio Driver Error says:

The following drivers either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application.

I'm running a 64-bit Vista and I'm hoping I don't have to switch to xp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you need any more info, please ask, i'll be happy to get it for you.

Thanks so much!

Adam

That is a common error. The best way to avoid it is to use only one interface. You can disable the audio I/O for the other ones in Sonar and it will ignore them. If Sonar still tries to profile them while settiing up the firebox just use Windows device manager to disable them till you get Sonar configured to only use the firebox, then you can enable them again.

Also, make sure Windows is set to use one of the internal cards for both play and record and check the box to only use default deivces. That will create a decoy for Windows so it doesn't try to send anything to the firebox. So for example if Windows or some other applicaiton tries to play a file that would change the sample rate it will only affect the internal card and the firebox can continue to operate at the sample and bit rate you have in Sonar and your project and will not glitch or error out.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/01/28 13:12:45 (permalink)
    If you're using ASIO, you can only have one driver active at any given time. If you're using WDM, you can stack multiple cards from different vendors, but your sample rate/bit depth must match with all of them.

ew

leadreed
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/01/28 18:47:56 (permalink)
    Ah, thanks guys. I've got it working now. Seems like there was a conflict between the new and old soundcards. I just unistalled one and booted with the other and fiddled around with the Sonar settings. I also switched from WMD to ASIO so that had a big help too.

Thanks for your guys help, couldn't have done it without ya'll.

All the best,
    Adam
    neptunefix
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/02/09 20:51:04 (permalink)
    How do you like the firebox? The sound quality of the mic pre's are good? What computer and firewire chipset are you using, if you dont mind sharing?
    nicmac303
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/07/30 18:47:37 (permalink)
    Similar problem here with Vista & Firebox but no 2nd soundcard. I fixed it by switching from WDM to ASIO in the Options -> Audio -> Advanced box. Then close Sonar & re-open it. Easy.

Cheers, nick
    danwader
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/09/18 10:45:52 (permalink)
    I have tried everything suggested so far on this thread and a few other things and nothing has had any effect at all. I had this system working and it just stopped. I have been through everything I might have done to have caused this, and cannot think of anything at all. I was just mixing and monitoring as I have a thousand times. The next time I fired up Sonar, it could not use the ASIO. What I have tried:
    Set Windows to use only the on-motherboard-sound (no effect).
    Told Sonar to use WDM drivers and then ran Wave Profiler. That, to no surprise, enabled use with WDM drivers. Switched back to ASIO (which I want to use, for all the known reasons) and got the same old error.
    Went into BIOS to completely disable the on-board sound, which was thereafter not even seen as a choice in either Windows or Sonar (no effect).
    Anyone know of anything else to try?
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/09/18 17:31:20 (permalink)
    Simple, you should only be using the FireBox, so disable the X-FI and SoundMax drivers inside SONAR!

+9999999999999999999999999999999999
    Disable all sound cards, except your firebox.
    Delete your AUD.ini file
    Download the latest drivers for your forebox
    Start sonar with the fireblox on and connected and let sonar profile it
    Make sure your card is listed as the recording and playback timing master
    your done
    Cj
    Edit:
    Presonus Audio Interface setup for Cakewalk software

Click Options | Audio | Advanced. Set your Driver Mode to ASIO. If you do not see Driver Mode, make sure the box next to “Always use mme interface” is NOT checked. Click OK and restart the program.

Next, Click Options | Audio:

On the Drivers tab:

Make sure your Presonus card is selected under both inputs and outputs. If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select your Presonus card. If changes are made, click OK and restart the program.

NOTE: Presonus also provides very reliable WDM drivers. If you experience problems in ASIO Driver Mode, you may want to consider using WDM as an alternative.

On the general tab:

Make sure one of your Presonus card drivers is selected as Playback Timing master. Click OK. Restart the program if prompted.

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the Presonus device itself. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs.

post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/09/18 17:33:49

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    danwader
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/09/20 04:30:32 (permalink)
    I had not seen a suggestion before to delete the AUD.ini file, so I did that, but no help. I now have no other sound cards available, have de-installed, re-loaded drivers for, and re-installed my card (a MOTU 424, by the way), and went through all the setup steps both in the card's software and in Sonar 7's, all to no avail. After using the ASIO drivers, I must now go back to WDM, I guess. Bizarre and frustrating.

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/09/20 06:37:52 (permalink)
    just so ya know, wdm and asio are both good setups.
    All that matters is what drivers work better for your particular device

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sound card not working with sonar 7! 2008/09/20 11:07:36 (permalink)
    had not seen a suggestion before to delete the AUD.ini file, so I did that, but no help. I now have no other sound cards available, have de-installed, re-loaded drivers for, and re-installed my card (a MOTU 424, by the way), and went through all the setup steps both in the card's software and in Sonar 7's, all to no avail. After using the ASIO drivers, I must now go back to WDM, I guess. Bizarre and frustrating.

Well if you only have the onboard sound card and you disabled it, then nothing will work. You can try to enable the onboard, if thats the only thing you have for now. Its best to start your own thread. You need to or should disable your onboard sound card only if you have another sound card/interface. I dont see anything sau=ying that you do have another sound card Danwader??? You did say you have one on the way though. Thats good...
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1