Comparing Files (to verify backup)

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2004/05/18 13:31:59 (permalink)

Comparing Files (to verify backup)

What's a good tool or technique for comparing all the files in directory X to all the files in directory Y?

I wrote backup scripts (in PERL) which compare file attributes (size, date, etc.) but not file contents (which takes too long with audio files to be practical). If files' attributes differ, then the differing backup is renamed and then replaced with the new master file. It's been working great for years, except...

Last night I had disk errors and today I noticed file corruptions. The file attributes don't change, but the contents did (one of my wavs has a spike in it which wasn't there before). My PERL script is blind to the file contents, which means I'm no longer sure I'm creating "perfect" backups. What I'd like is a way to make sure the *contents* of one tree of files exactly matches the contents of another tree.

Ideas?

I've tried:

1) fc (xp command line util) -- easy to use, but requires me to write scripts for traversing directory trees (since it isn't recursive)

2) DirPrudence -- if there's a way to prevent the GUI from appearing *at all*, and *if* the $15 isn't just for a single PC (I have several), I might register it

Are there other ways to make sure our files aren't getting corrupted without us knowing it?

Travis

2 Replies Related Threads

Tripecac
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1702
    Re: Comparing Files (to verify backup) 2011/08/23 23:19:01 (permalink)
    The short answer is winmerge. It's free, easy, and I still use it all the time. It can handle huge files (and huge directories of files), and gives you options to compare file contents (slow) versus file attributes (fast). Highly recommended.

tripecac.com
    Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
    Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

SCorey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re: Comparing Files (to verify backup) 2011/08/24 10:15:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up on WinMerge. I've got Dir Prudence which is pretty good, but was needing something a bit more flexible. Great find!

-Steve Corey
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1