Console View - missing features in audio module strips

Author
fendercatt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2008/01/31 10:35:34 (permalink)

Console View - missing features in audio module strips

HI EVERYONE. NEWBE HERE! I'VE LOADED MC4 ON MY LAPTOP RUNNING WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM. THOUGH I'M VERY NEW TO IT, EVERYTHING SEEMS TO WORK, EXCEPT I DON'T HAVE THE FOUR BAND EQ MODULE IN ANY OF MY AUDIO MODULE STRIPS. THERE ARE ALSO NO "SHOW/HIDE" STRIP CONTROL BUTTONS FOR "EQ" OR "DIAGRAM" (WHATEVER THAT IS FOR), AS SHOWN IN THE TUTORIAL BOOK. I WOULD ASSUME THESE WOULD LOAD AS A DEFAULT WHEN YOU BOOT THE PROGRAM. I INSTALLED THE PROGRAM AS RECOMMENDED AND DID NOT GET ANY ERROR MESSAGES OR STRANGE PROMPTS.

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER MY QUESTION.

MANY THANKS!

28 Replies Related Threads

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 10:45:41 (permalink)
    QUIT YELLING....
    Sorry, but I can't even read that when it is all caps.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 11:12:27 (permalink)
    As Albert is pointing out, proper forum etiquette is using lower case or a combination of lower case and upper case, but if you use ALL CAPS, it is considered yelling in the forum.

as for the per channel EQ, I think that it might not be available on MC, but I don't know for certain. hopefully someone with MC4 will come along soon and be able to verify this for us. Unfortunately, there are several problems with the manual since it wasn't "scrubbed" well enough. basically, cakewalk takes the Sonar documentation and edits out the stuff that doesn't apply to MC, but they miss things and the manual isn't 100% accurate for MC.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:06:26 (permalink)
    Beagle:

Sorry about the shouting! I wasn't aware of the forum etiquette. I don't use the internet socially, only for research, so I'm not hip to all the new jargon.

I was just curious that the subject items failed to show, as they are shown and described in the overview video on the Cakewalk website for MC4. It's kind of misleading. Maybe I did'nt look close enough.

Either way, I would have not have bought the product, had I known this. I would have spent a little more for something with more options.

I don't get on the net that much, but I'll keep an eye out. Many thanks for your help!

Thanks again
    Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:16:44 (permalink)
    no problem.

just to be sure you haven't turned OFF the view of the EQ, look at this and see if you've done that.

but even if MC doesn't have per track EQ, that shouldn't be a major problem, you can always use plugins for EQ whether they're on the track or not.

fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:19:35 (permalink)
    Albert:

Sorry about the shouting! Like I told Beagle, I'm probably not too good socially on the internet.

This thing just had me baffled. I uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it, thinking maybe something did'nt take the first time or maybe there was a smudge on the disc. But it came back the same.

Looking at the files on my hard drive, there are three files for setup. Step one is installed. Steps two and three, which are .bin files are sort of transparent (I forget the correct term), and when I right click on them for their properties, it says in the top that Windows Vista cannot open them or read them. Maybe this has something to do with it. Maybe it's not fully Vista compatible like it says on the box.

Anyway, sorry I got off on the wrong foot.

Cheers
    Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:28:39 (permalink)
    I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with installation or vista. if it doesn't work it's because they disabled it for MC or because you have the setting incorrect in the view. look at my post above and see if that helps.

fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:34:29 (permalink)
    There are no buttons on the left hand stack for "EQ Plot" or "EQ". However, all the rest you have shown are there. There are paraqmetric eq's in the plug-in selections, but then I guess it uses more cpu resources that way.

You're screen looks very similar, other than the items I just mentioned.

Thanks again Beagle!
    gamblerschoice
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:40:58 (permalink)
    No wrong foot at all, just hurts my old eyes
    Vista is telling you that it can't open the .bin files, but they open when c/w is installing, they are basically compressed "file cabinets", or "bins", that vista doesn't need to read.
    Never watched the video for m/c 4, so I can't say why they would show a process that is not included in the program, but there are many free eq pluggins, and, after a little trial period, you'll find the different little boxes and icons that will make navigating the program easier. It is not as easy as the pomotion/marketing people make it out to be, but not overly complex, either. It's easy for me to say, I've had different versions of cakewalk over the last five years, but the truth is, you'll figure it out in a short amount of time. Just start on a project, go until you hit a wall, and come in here and ask questions.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 14:43:20 (permalink)
    Albert - you just recently installed MC4, right? can you check on this when you get home tonite?

gamblerschoice
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 15:18:57 (permalink)
    No problem
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 20:21:06 (permalink)
    Hi fendercatt,
    I just had a look at the promotional videos. I don't see any mention of the EQ's in the MC4 video, but they do make a point of showing it in the Home Studio 6 video, since it is a new feature for this version. Were you maybe looking at both of these while you were shopping?
    If it is in your manual, yes, that's kind of sloppy, and they are fairly notorious for it with Home Studio and Music Creator documentation.
    As Al mentioned, there are quite a few free EQ's available for download. I use several, because they each have their own tonal flavor. MC does have a lot of features, and is a good program to get your feet wet if you are new to this sort of thing.
    Its bigger brothers, Home Studio and Sonar, share the same interface, with increased complexity.
    The upgrade path, if and when you are ready, is pretty easy, and they give you a break on price if you are a registered owner of Cakewalk software.
    For now, I would say work with what you have. The initial learning curve is equally brutal, no matter which version.
    Welcome, and good luck.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 22:17:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nod RobertB. I went through the tutorials on the MC4 installation disc, and on the section for the console view they make semi-lenghty reference to the eq function and strip. It must be a generic presentation for several programs, as they always say "the application" and never refer to a specific one. It looks like the exact same one I viewed on the Cakewalk site. Either way, I could see the words "Sonar 6" on the header above the task bar. So, like I said, the videos must cover a couple different applications.

I've already downloaded some plug-ins and will unzip and install them tomorrow. They were all for "XP". Hope they work ok for Vista Applications.

Thank you for your concern and have a good evening.
    Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/01/31 22:36:10 (permalink)
    there are also EQ plugins that already come WITH MC, they're just not in the channel strip - they're plugins that you use in the FX bins.

fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/04 16:21:06 (permalink)
    Hey Albert, how's it going?

I waited for a reply on my MC4 missing onboard channel strip EQ question from this thread. Just thought I'd ask you myself (the request came from Beagle). I guess maybe I'm expecting a little too much from a $40.00 program.

I have a Korg D3200 dedicated hard disk recorder, but the small interface screen is a pain in the rear. I was always intrigued by the concept of computer based recording. I kind of liked the idea of having this program on my laptop and being able to flesh out ideas, etc. when I'm down at the shore or away.

I was playing with the vst synths that come with the program, and I have to tell you, for the money, it was impressive. The midi control parameters for the sound envelope, EQ, etc. are amazing and allow for incredible realism (really in depth). I love working with midi sequences (I guess that's old hat now; most people probably now work with sampling sequencers). But I have the severe latency problem everyone else has (latency slider doesn't help much) when triggering notes from my midi keyboard controller (haven't messed with the audio yet). I guess the Realtek soundcard in my laptop is a bust for this application.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a laptop with AMD Turion 64 Mobile MK-36 processor, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 1 gig of ram (766 megs free after Windows Vista, etc. chews up the rest). Let me know if you think I have enough horsepower to run these types of applications.

Also, do you, Beagle, or anybody else have any recommendations for any external soundcard/audio interfaces, preferably usb powered, with midi I/O. I have read some posts on this subject, but there probably may have been some revelations since then. If they have midi I/O, will that solve the triggering latency problem with my keyboard controller?

Oh yeah! Before I leave, I just wanted to say that I was a computer designer/draftsman for some time. That's where the typing in all caps came from. We did that for years on drawings (even pencil drawn) so contractors would have no problems reading the drawings in the field, in less than optimum lighting.

I want to thank you guys for all the help you've given me so far. Maybe somebody can recommend the next "bang for the buck" step up program, after I get my feet wet with this one.

Thanks again,
    fendercatt
    gamblerschoice
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/04 16:37:00 (permalink)
    Also a computer drafting/designer by trade...but had to change to the estimating field. Seems they are teaching drafting to junior high school kids, I've even heard of drafting in the sixth grade. Not that I would deny some one an education, but that kind of thing really undercuts your hourly wage. Why pay an old guy with twenty years experience top dollar when you can get a kid to do it faster. No worries about mistakes, just redline it and have them burn through it again.
    But I digress...
    I forgot.
    I completely forgot about checking into the eq thing. I promise to get to it this evening.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/04 16:51:06 (permalink)
    I know what you mean Albert. I'm nearly 57 years old. I learned my engineering and drafting skills with a little help from some friends and lot of perseverance. It was either that or lose my job. I actually became pretty good at it. In the end, they layed-off all the college boys and kept me, when things got tight. I guess they figured, without a degree, I couldn't ask for much money. So that's how it went. I had to work twice as hard as the college guys and got paid a little more than half as much. Corporations are funny like that. They laid me off after 32 yrs. Corporate moved somewhere else and they didn't want to duplicate resources they had there at my location. I did some consulting work for them last year and they paid me more than twice the money. Go firgure!

But now, I DIGRESS!!!!!

Thanks a lot for the comeback. Give me your opinion on the souncards, etc. when you have time. I really appreciate the support you guys give everyone. You're gold buddy.

Later dude,
    fendercatt
    Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/04 21:04:06 (permalink)
    sound card recommendations:

http://homerecording.beaglesound.com/9.html

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/04 21:24:15 (permalink)
    Those EQ features are not available in MC Pro 24 either, which was the last version before MC 3. Maybe MC 5 will have it.
    Sound interfaces: I am continually amazed at the clarity and detail afforded by my Focusrite Saffire, but it's a firewire device. And pricey (list last year $499, GC price normally $399, got it on sale $299). Are you married to the USB idea?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/04 23:17:02 (permalink)
    I went to the console view and tried everything I could to get the eq set like in the above picture. It seems that it is not available. You could add one of several eq's in the fx bin area, but nothing is tied to the track as a simple default button. And I am not fond of c/w's eq gui's, just don't do it for me.
    On the job thing, its one of those things where I thought I was doing everything right, put myself through schools at night, learned every new version as soon as it came out, additional programs to enhance my abilities, plus, I have a good understanding of construction, in the field, in the factory, hands on experience. So the end product, I am too experienced, I priced myself out of the market. Its enough to cloud your thinking, make you a little bitter towards the work force, and as far as I'm concerned, if they want to pay me $5.00 an hour, they get $5.00 worth of my time. Piss on 'em
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/05 09:16:04 (permalink)
    that does sound very much like something they would disable as part of the MC package, making it available only to the higher paying customers for SHS and Sonar.

fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/05 18:42:06 (permalink)
    Hey albert:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm skunked on the EQ on the channel strip. No matter, I'll get around it. Like I said though, I'm really impressed with all that I got for $40. Just the sheer ability with which you can minipulate the sequencer midi data on the TTS-1 soft synth blows my mind. It's like being able to vastly expand the GM soundset.

Like 57Gregy said though, I have a big learning curve ahead of me. I guess no more than when I plunked around on the guitar and became decent on that. It's all about the passion.

Seems like you and I are flogging the same old tired horse when it comes to the job market. I weep for my grandchildren.
    I know the global market helped us in some ways. But damn, it sure hurt us in others. Global greed doesn't help much either.

Enough of that. I think I saw in one of your posts that you use an E-MU interface. Are you happy with it? I'm thinking of going usb or firewire like 57Gregy said. My sound card in the laptop just can't handle it too well.

Thanks again,
    fendercatt
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/05 18:58:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle. I did look at your link before. But I'm getting a headache looking at all these options, checking specs, and crunching numbers. I just thought maybe somenone could give a good recommendation, knowing the particulars that I posted about my laptop.

Also, could you tell me, in your opinion, if I can alleviate the midi latency problem with triggering notes from my keyboard controller by going with the external interface (usb or firewire)? Do you think I need more processor horsepower or RAM than what I have? I know working with midi isn't CPU intensive. Once I start with the audio, that will surely change.

I can have 16 channels of midi going, with effects in the soft synth operating and other operations open,and my CPU usage showing at the bottom right hand corner is like 6% - 9%.

Before I go, I'd like to say that I'm fairly impressed with you knowledge on these subjects. Many thanks for the help you've given me so far.

Have a good evening,
    fendercatt

Beagle
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/05 19:33:04 (permalink)
    actually, working with MIDI is CPU intensive. not the MIDI data itself, but when you start using softsynths those are what drain the CPU. with any of the cards i have listed you should be able to bring your latency down to a reasonable level - 5msec +/- which is pretty much undetectable by human ears.

USB or Firewire either one will work fine. i would not advise getting firewire if you don't have a TI chipset in your comptuer, tho. there have been many problems with firewire devices connecting to computer with non-TI chips.

giving you a recommendation would also require knowing how much you want to spend. the EMU-0404USB looks like a really nice unit for $200.

your system looks pretty good. you might want to consider a little more ram later since you're running vista, but it will do for now.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/05 20:56:11 (permalink)
    fendercatt,
    It looks like you are starting to get your legs under you. Just want to touch on a few things you've mentioned here.
    Sampling sequencers still use MIDI to trigger the sounds. The difference is that the sample player plays a recorded wav file instead of generating the sound with synth oscilators. Some synths use a combination of wav.s and oscilators, filters,etc. Pretty amazing technology, really. I can apprciate it, but i don't fully understand it.
    The EQ's that you saw on the demos are actually plug-ins, but they have a direct link embedded. As far as CPU load, they are the same.
    I don't like the Cakewalk parametric EQ at all. It works, but it squeals like a stuck pig if you adjust it too fast.
    My favorite parametric is NyquistEQ (a free download).
    The latency you are experiencing is not from the MIDI, but from the conversion of the generated sound into audio. So, yes, a sound card will help immensely. Many laptops don't have a 6 pin Firewire connection, so USB is probably a better solution. If you don't have a TI chip, that's usually a deal breaker for firewire.
    I'm 100% with Beagle, it's not the MIDI, it's the synths that eat your CPU. If you don't use sample based synths, even the RAM may not be a real issue.
    The E-MU 0404USB, Line6 Toneport UX2, or one of the M-Audio units would be a good choice.
    As to the next "bang for the buck" sollution, I heartily endorse Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. But I am admitedly bised.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/05 23:08:02 (permalink)
    I used the emu 0404 on board, not usb, but that is not an option with a laptop. The usb gets good reviews, though. I will say that I use it only as an interface, there are so many effects I have never even touched, plus the mixer interface can do more than just hook you from the inputs to the program. But, it has the ability to get complicated. If you go through some of the more recent posts, there have been a lot of screen shots and explainations concerning it. The reason I say this is not to dis the card, just to warn you it may cause a headache or two getting it set up. Once I set it, I forgot it, and never went back to the options it provides, 'cause I like things simple. There was mention of a different card that seems to be much more compiant, but I forget the name of it, and also, I am not sure it comes with the usb option. All that said, the 0404 is a very good card, quiet, versatile, and relatively inexpensive.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/06 11:58:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle. For the most part, I was just looking at getting relief from the midi lag, so I can input my midi data with my keyboard controller instead of having to use an internal step sequence to avoid the latency.

I guess I could also trigger to one of my outboard rack synths to monitor my input. Just wanted to make this idea extremely portable.

Have a good day!
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/06 12:00:07 (permalink)
    Thanks Albert. I know what you mean about keeping it simple. And the less headaches the better. I'll keep checking things out.

Appreciate the help buddy.

- fendercatt
    fendercatt
    RE: Console View - missing features in audio module strips 2008/02/06 12:28:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up on the EQ download RobertB. I've been looking at the M-Audio hardware and the Tascam US122L USB interface (it has midi I/O), but there are more than a few unhappy users with that one on Harmony Central. But you never know, a lot of times some people just can't grab hold of how to use something. Then it's easier to dis the product. Sometimes, something is just not 100% compatible with your software or hardware.

I understand the whole thing about midi data and sampling synths. Years ago I ran extreme midi sequences triggering an external sound module from a 486SX computer, and it never hiccuped once. I just meant that comparing midi triggered to GM sound modules vs. sampled wave files that can me manipulated is like, in some aspects, comparing a cigarette lighter to a flame thrower. The former is just not going to cut it in some situations.

I have two outboard rack synths. One is a true synth, which is difficult to edit, the other is a sample synth, which plays back multi-sampled wave or PCM sounds. But you cannot edit the waveforms as much as on a true synth (limited on filters and oscilators). But it does nicely.

Anyway, you've been a great help.

Cheers,
    fendercatt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1