Do you use real bass in your recordings?

Author
rplas
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2008/02/18 10:58:22 (permalink)

Do you use real bass in your recordings?

Hi, i had some criticisms about my drums & bass. Well, what can i say, i don't have a drummer so i use the TSS. Actually i'm thinking about buying a bass to play in my part as i'm very unsatisfied with the results.

The question is: do you, guys, play real bass in your parts or you use some of SONAR?

Thank's,

Rob

Sempron 3.0- 1G ram- Sonar 7
Delta 44- Behringer 604- Yamaha MX100
CAD GLX 3000-Shure SM 57
Old Nylon string acoustic-Chinese acoust/elect
Yamaha Strat wth Al Di Miola pickups- Steiberger GL4T
Rivera- Marshall

www.soundclick.com/robertplas

20 Replies Related Threads

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/18 11:19:31 (permalink)
    While I do own a bass, I usually use the Dimension basses when sketching parts. Sometimes the sound might fit better than what I can get out of my J-Bass + J-Station, so I might stick with that. Other times the feel of playing a real bass works better.
    Elson
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/18 15:07:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, I use a Musicman Stingray (I have the 4-string, 5-string and fretless versions, but my 4-string fretted has the best tone), run that into Whirlwind DI box, run that into a PreSonus TubePre and run that into my soundcars. Sounds sooooo nice and fat.

For synth bass I'll use an actual Minimoog (played live of course) or plugins like DreamStation. Zeta+ sounds like it has some nice bass sounds, I might start using that.

A DI box is a must for recording bass. Without it your're not getting the full tone potential from your bass.

Elson R. Trinidad (El SONAR Trinidad) :) | Los Angeles, CA, USA
    http://www.elsongs.com | http://www.e-trinity.org
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/18 17:27:33 (permalink)
    Just last month I bought a new bass. Got a very nice Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. My finger tips are just starting to toughen up. Now, I'll have to go back and re-record several old tracks but I couldn't be happier.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/19 08:56:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Elson

Yeah, I use a Musicman Stingray (I have the 4-string, 5-string and fretless versions, but my 4-string fretted has the best tone), run that into Whirlwind DI box, run that into a PreSonus TubePre and run that into my soundcars. Sounds sooooo nice and fat.

For synth bass I'll use an actual Minimoog (played live of course) or plugins like DreamStation. Zeta+ sounds like it has some nice bass sounds, I might start using that.

A DI box is a must for recording bass. Without it your're not getting the full tone potential from your bass.

Nice choices. I can imagine your stuff sounds really warm with plenty of bottom end.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    jrdalton
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/24 23:40:28 (permalink)
    I play bass and almost always do a real bass part. once in a while I doublt it using Arturia's mini-moog bass. Nothing is quite as fat as real bass!

I run it though a Line 6 Bass Pod and it sounds pretty good. Then use the Sonitex EQ boosting up 80Hz a little. Nice.
    Elson
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/25 01:21:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jrdalton

I play bass and almost always do a real bass part. once in a while I doublt it using Arturia's mini-moog bass. Nothing is quite as fat as real bass!

I run it though a Line 6 Bass Pod and it sounds pretty good. Then use the Sonitex EQ boosting up 80Hz a little. Nice.

I'm both a keyboardist and a bassist. There's a use for either bass guitar or synth bass. Actually synth bass can give you way more bottom than any bass guitar can, but sometimes you just want a nice rounded-out sound (or even a good slap tone) and only a bass can give you that. Sometimes I need a funky "Ow Ow Ow" resonant bass sound, sometimes something technobizzarre with an LFO filter mod, and only synth bass can give you that. I use whatever's appropriate for the tune.

Nick P
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/02/25 06:14:06 (permalink)
    The practical answer to this is go with a sampled bass and record it as MIDI. You then have way more control over editing the part later on, as well as mixing, etc... Unless you're a very experienced bass player who knows how to get a good recording tone (very hard - much harder than a decent live tone), then I think trying to use real bass is an exercise in frustration. The "real" (i.e. electric bass) bass samples in Dimension Pro are completely usable for most applications. For synth bass, the basses in Rapture or Z3TA+ (which comes standard with Sonar 7 Producer now) are equally suited. Many of the guys on the Sonar forum are guitarists and bassists with many years of experience. It's not too hard for them to grab the right front-end hardware and combine it with a guitar or bass they're familiar with. But unless you've got the chops, I think you'll wind up spending a whole bunch of money and get sub-standard results.

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/04 17:17:06 (permalink)
    rplas... I make drum n bass. are they on about the mixing or just the sounds. eq'ing and giving the sounds enough space in the mix is important. I use drum loops, but I can make my own beats. It's not that tricky.. as for the bass.. I treat it as 2 layers.. 1 thats an audible one, and then layer it underneath with sub bass, so if you have a sub woofer, ya get the full effect.

side chaining with drums is a must for me,with the kick / snare, being prominant and eq'd well, for me anyway. It gives the mix more punch and the drums more frequency space, well thats my 2p's worth anyway
    shang
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/04 21:56:59 (permalink)
    There's no substitute for a really good bass player and/or drummer playing good "real" instruments. That being said, obviously we can't all afford to hire players if we don't have the chops or instruments. I am a drummer and will trade tracks with other good players at times. It's cheaper (and more fun) for me to lay down a drum track for somebody and trade them for good guitar parts on one of my tunes, than to hire a session player. You could also pay them with free studio time.

The problem with most synth played bass or drum tracks is what a keyboard player, or non-native to whatever instrument, plays is typically not something a real player would play. So no matter how good your samples are, it still will not sound quite "right" (whatever that is). If there is absolutely no option for having someone come in, spend time listening to what really good bass players and drummers do and try to emulate that. It may even be worth getting a cheap version of whatever instrument you want to record and learn how to play it just enough to see how the mechanics work and what would be possible to play on the given instrument. For instance, I don't know any 5 or 6 limbed drummers, so if too many things are getting hit at once, it is obviously not a real drum part. The same goes for bass. The vast majority of bass players play one note at a time, and they don't overlap.

So long and thanks for all the fish,
    Shang
    rplas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/05 07:08:20 (permalink)
    Thank guys. I think i'll buy a cheap and nice bass and play it!

Sempron 3.0- 1G ram- Sonar 7
    Delta 44- Behringer 604- Yamaha MX100
    CAD GLX 3000-Shure SM 57
    Old Nylon string acoustic-Chinese acoust/elect
    Yamaha Strat wth Al Di Miola pickups- Steiberger GL4T
    Rivera- Marshall

www.soundclick.com/robertplas
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/05 07:44:16 (permalink)
    shang if you know how to edit drums REALLY well and say mix them in with loops etc. most people can't tell I don't use a real drummer if the tracks are slow. I don't normally work at slow tempo's though.

my friend does have a drummer.. gets him to play say a 40 minute drumming session of whatever he wants , free style..

then brings it into the sampler, and makes loops and edits.. and obviously does varations of them in software.. then gives the drummer back the edited grooves and he plays it when they go play out live..

although he is a very good drummer =)

I use reasons drum kits refill though, and it's sampled VERY well (hypersampling =) .. and a few more refills with real drummers, but I've got a stupid amount of loops due to type of music I make.

dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/05 12:40:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: shang
    The vast majority of bass players play one note at a time, and they don't overlap.

Umm...the vast majority of bass players SHOULD play one note at a time. I have the problem where I work with guitar players that are doubling on bass and don't understand that more than one note at a time (and less than a octave apart) just serves to add mud to the entire mix.

Dan Tarbill
    Nick P
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/06 03:49:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dantarbill

...guitar players that are doubling on bass

Major problem number 1

and don't understand that more than one note at a time (and less than a octave apart) just serves to add mud to the entire mix.

All I can say to this is .... wow.

dantarbill
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/06 11:35:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

Major problem number 1

and don't understand that more than one note at a time (and less than a octave apart) just serves to add mud to the entire mix.

Ooops...I'm sorry. That came off wrong didn't it.

I guess the guys in the band react the same way.

Dan Tarbill
    Aumente
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/06 19:17:50 (permalink)
    Hi,

Much like Mumpcake, I generally sketch bass parts with a synth then end the session with a replacement live track.

My Stringray is great for a range of styles, but since purchasing my NS Design CR4M it's been my instrument of choice. Great range of tones and it records beautifully, both finger style and bowed.

Paul

www.songroom.co.uk
    dantarbill
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/06 19:35:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Aumente

...my NS Design CR4M...

Father forgive me, for I have coveted my neighbor's bass.

Dan Tarbill
    shang
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/07 00:05:25 (permalink)
    Heh. That's funny. I've played with a number of guitar players that are playing bass instead and I know exactly what you are talking about. Although I probably get laughed at by keyboard players when I as a drummer try to play piano parts...

So long and thanks for all the fish,
    Shang
    Elson
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/07 00:55:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

Major problem number 1

Many guitarists assume the bass guitar descended from the guitar. Not true.

The guitar is a descendant of string instruments like the lute...

The bass guitar is a descendant of the double bass, which is in the same family as cellos, violas and violins....

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/07 09:26:15 (permalink)

Father forgive me, for I have coveted my neighbor's bass.

Let's start the day right...

May the almighty and merciful Lord grant us pardon, absolution, and remission of our sins. Amen.

Peace be with you.

Russ

Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Do you use real bass in your recordings? 2008/03/10 23:47:39 (permalink)
    I've been playing guitar for years, but recently I purchased a bass for the sole purpose of recording in Sonar 7. I've ended up playing it all the time because it's a whole lot of fun, and it's given me lots of new ideas for songs - I should have picked one up a long time ago.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1