"Real" analog - not so impressive anymore?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/09 16:19:53 (permalink)
Getting back to the original thread, first off, Hi!. First post in this forum.

One thing that surprises me about this thread when talking about the post processing effects of a soft synth vs a "real" synth is that there is nothing preventing you from running the output of the soft synth through the external tube based distortion effects or harmonizers... IMO you get the best of both world with a soft synth.

The only downside with soft synths vs a hardware based solution is latency for live a performance. For sequencing and recording this is not as big an issue. Obviously a software based emulation of things like tube amps/FX or physical oscillators will never be as good as the real thing, but the soft synth has its own charm and has brought most of the elegance of these expensive and space consuming monsters to the average joe like me.

Returning to the physical qualities of the Prophet 08, I had a similar experience looking at the new Korg M3 while at Steve's Music store here in town. Outside the weighted 88 keys, I was disappointed by both the physical quality of the hardware and the sound was really unexciting. As far as I am concerned my Dim Le and Z3 softs sound better. Cost a whole lot less than the 3500 bucks they wanted for the M3. I did not get a chance to play with the Radius so I can not compare it, but so far I am liking the low cost, great sound, ease of use and flexibility of the new software offerings.

I am at this point not sure if I would consider buying a hardware based synth, analogue or digital (I am not likely to be doing any stage performances anytime soon). I can get so much more from software for the same money.
DayDrumFour
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/09 22:12:51 (permalink)
Reminds me of a recent experience with a Roland TR-808 drum machine. (is that analog?)

The 808 sounds still have a place, but the unit is so not fun anymore.

So much can be done with those TR sounds in a sampler. I just can't use the "real" beatboxes anymore.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/10 00:18:50 (permalink)
You know the bottom line for me is... the VA synths of today are throw away items... We'll use them until we get bored with their presets or when technology changes and they won't simply won't run on a computer in 2013 or whatever or more importantly the licsensing will simply not be supported..... I have quite a few VA synths and I have a fair number of real keyboards and also sold off a fair number of 80's and 90's synths. Today I have a few basic vintage synths and keyboards that I know will never be well replaced by an emulation. The only instrumentation that will hold any value in the long term is hardware.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
pjl
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/10 01:59:06 (permalink)

Arthur,

There is nothing wrong with Rapture that would stop it installing, we've all installed it without problems. I do understand your frustration but it just doesn't make sense to keep suggesting that there is something wrong with Rapture when you're the only one here having difficulty. There is always a very small chance that you have a bad CD but by far the most likely cause is a problem with your PC.

The people here (and at Tech. Support) are very friendly and helpful and will be happy to offer assistance where they can but you've got to chill out. As for you comments about CW/Roland's registration requirements, come on, they are about the fairest and most convenient out there. Compared to NI, XLNAudio... they are a delight - and don't get me started about Steinberg and dongles.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/04/10 02:43:13 (permalink)
Uggghh... don't get me started with Steinberg and their god awful licensing either. My last purchase was such a nightmare with their Syncrosoft driver garbage that I will not likely buy another Steinberg product again. I hate being treated like a criminal. Cakewalk is a breath of fresh air and I hope that they keep things easy for us. I know piracy is a problem, but most of the "activation" schemes employed today punish us the legit users.

@Rbh. Presets are there to get you started. The power is in the engine. Ultimately a musician is supposed to program his own unique and new sounds. From what I have seen with Dimension, Rapture and Z3 is a nearly infinite variety of possibilities. You are quite correct that ultimately the hardware and OS that its installed on will cease to support it, but then again, if the soft is that good, whose to say I might not keep an old machine just for the current softs. I have two computers sitting beside me that are still going strong and they are both 11 years old (though I am not using them, I was going to donate them to somebody).

The licensing however, I agree with. If Cakewalk should go under, or what ever, I would want my investment protected. I should not ever have to worry about my legally purchased copy ever failing to install because of a defunct company no longer providing a key or online "activation". So far with Cakewalk this seems to not be an issue, but with Steinberg, I am a bit concerned (see above). In that sense, a good hardware will never have to be worried about.
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/05/06 23:42:13 (permalink)
OK, well now that I have my Prophet 08 in hand, I figured I'd revive this thread. I've only had my P08 up and running for about 4 hours now, but in that time, I've been comparing its sound to my Virus Polar TI and Nord Rack 2X (both hardware VAs) and a few of my favorite soft synths (Rapture, NI Massive, and RP Blue). The verdict: the P08 is the hands-down winner. This thing sounds so alive (even w/o onboard FX) that it makes my Virus and Nord pale in comparison. And, the software VAs, well they still sound great, but not as good as my hardware synths and certainly not as full, rich, and warm as the P08.

The funny thing is, when I decided to sell off some gear to make room in my studio for a new synth, I was originally leaning toward replacing my Supernova and Nord 2X with a Nord 3 or possibly a Poly Evolver rack. But, the more I started reading the P08 reviews and realizing perhaps the most important fact -it's a Dave Smith product- the more I became convinced that the Prophet was the synth for me. Honestly, it was his reputation and the P08s features (esp. modulation and # of voices) that really convinced me, NOT the fact the P08 is a true analog. Like I said, I was originally leaning toward a digitial or digital/analog hybrid.

That said, you guys can continue the great hardware/software/analog/digital /vintage/modern debate all you want. My ears tell me all I need to know.

p.s. Oh man, I'm gonna be tired tomorrow!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Prevalence
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 719
RE: "Real" analog - not so impressive anymore? 2008/05/07 14:36:02 (permalink)

That said, you guys can continue the great hardware/software/analog/digital /vintage/modern debate all you want. My ears tell me all I need to know.

One would hope so at that price

Best Regards, Paul
Music at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754343

~~~ Album 'ElectroStatique' (Feat. Anya) now available from:-
iTunes, Rhapsody, HMW, 7Digital, emusic, Napster and several other outlets ~~~
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1