Confusion about Studio Instruments

Author
Crush40rox
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2008/02/27 01:23:45 (permalink)

Confusion about Studio Instruments

OK, so I finaly learned how to work Music Creator 4 and I purchased Studio Instruments but theres a problem. Everytime I drag and drop and drum sound into my project the audio doesn't play. I still do not understand this MIDI thing. Do you HAVE to have a keyboard to play these sounds or how do you get them to work in the project? All I want to do is record my guitars and bass and then add the studio drums and strings so I can have a fuller sounding recording without having to find musicians. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Josh

5 Replies Related Threads

tony_de2003
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Confusion about Studio Instruments 2008/02/27 03:11:07 (permalink)
    Hi,

the peeps here would need more info on your set up to give advice.

Just want you to know that IMHO SI is flaky. I have the same "gone deaf" problem, (i.e.no playback sound for no apparent reason. See my earlier post on this forum) and I think CW support has gone deaf too, as they have not answered my formal support request at all.

Use Dim Pro (Garitan strings etc.) if you can afford it and bin SI. It's just a pain.

Sorry to just give opinion and no help, but I share your frustrations.

I want my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only state of permanence is change
    Matthew Mirande [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Confusion about Studio Instruments 2008/02/27 10:58:35 (permalink)
    Hi Josh -
    Sorry you are having troubles. I believe you simply need to route your midi track to the instance of Studio Instruments you are using. Here's how (using the drum kit as an example):

1) Insert SI Drums
        A. Click "Views > Synth Rack"
        B. Click the "+" button and select "Soft Synths > Cakewalk > Studio Instruments > SI-Drum Kit"
        C. The "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog should appear
        D. Check "MIDI Source" & "All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo" options in the "Create These Tracks" section
        E. Check the "Synth Property Page" option in the "Open These Windows" section
        F. Click the "Ok" button

2) Drag & Drop pattern
        A. Select a pattern and Drag & Drop it onto the MIDI track (look for the circular icon that looks like a MIDI plug) you just created
        B. Click the "Play" button in MC4. You should hear the pattern play

If you run into problems, confirm your audio outputs are set properly and that you are able to play audio (drag in a wav file and see if it plays).

Hope it helps!
    matt

--
    Matthew Mirande
    Cakewalk Product Manager
    Crush40rox
    RE: Confusion about Studio Instruments 2008/02/28 23:02:06 (permalink)
    How do you use the studio instruments program to make your own drum rhythms? or is that even possible?
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Confusion about Studio Instruments 2008/02/28 23:24:01 (permalink)
    Sure it is. You don't have the full GM drum set available, so it might take some trial and error. Open the Piano Roll view, with your MIDI track selected.
    The MIDI track output will need to be set to Studio Instruments, and you will need a drum set loaded. Mouse over the notes so you see where your drums are. Click the drum hits into the piano roll. When you play it back, the drums should sound through Studio Instruments.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Crush40rox
    RE: Confusion about Studio Instruments 2008/02/29 09:26:51 (permalink)
    Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1