solo guitarist

Author
pkonya
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/03/14 09:38:37 (permalink)

solo guitarist

I posted this in home studio and didn't get much response. I thought I'd try here-

A little history first. I am a solo guitarist who in the past have done strictly solo work, played with a bass player, another guitarist as a duo, you get the picture. Several years ago I was down at Lake of the Ozarks (Missouri) where I heard a solo act using a midi backup system (Dale Blue??). I decided to give it a try. I got a copy of Cakewalk, some pre-programmed midi and have been figuring it out ever since. I found that cakewalk wouldn’t let me start/stop using a midi pedal, so I downloaded a trial version of sonar. I’ve been using it ever since. The trial version lets me use my midi pedal to start/stop. I mix the midi tracks (mute tracks, etc.), run from my laptop to a Roland XV2020 sound module, then to my PA where I mix my guitar and vocals live. The through midi from the XV2020 the goes to my midiverb for effects. I am using an ART midi pedal (midi in at the XV2020). I have several questions:
-Is there a better way? I am always looking to improve sound quality, shorten set up, etc..
- I currently am putting my set together song by song each night I play. I have tried using the set list and load all my songs at once, but am having trouble keeping the lyrics page up front. It is always going somewhere else. I’m trying to to do this hands free, and can’t really stop in the middle to look for it.
- My laptop is old (windows 98). I do have another new computer available for use that runs Vista. I am thinking about finally purchasing a real version of sonar. Does Sonar Home let you program globals like start/stop so I can use my midi pedal? I know the more expensive versions have more bells and whistles, but I don’t think I need them.
- has anyone ever heard of or used “Show Controller”? It’s another option I ran across. It has some features that would be helpful .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post edited by pkonya - 2008/03/14 09:39:09

pkonya

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: solo guitarist 2008/03/14 23:22:41 (permalink)
    Hey...I ran across a band in Myrtle Beach many years back that used CW on an old computer to sequence their songs. They spent alot of time recording each song, they had vocal harmonizers and even switched the guitar with midi. I don't know for sure but they might have had their lighting running the same way. They were hot...and there was only two of them on stage. All the music was professional level....it was amazing.

From that show....over 20 years ago, I know you can do alot with CW & midi. I have thought of doing something similar...but never really had the desire to start playing live again. Occasionally, I will play with a soundtrack that I record in my studio and burn to CD without main vocal & acoustic guitar.....but not to often.

Aside from telling you that and saying go for it...I can't offer any "how to" advice.

What I have learned about computers and midi....if you can think of it, it can probably be done.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/03/14 23:25:03

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tommyguitar5000
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: solo guitarist 2008/10/28 15:47:25 (permalink)
    I make my living doing pretty much what you're asking.
    The difference is, I use CakeWalk 3.0.
    (I use a Korg o3/RW module, and have the MIDI change my guitar patches on my Roland GP-16.
    I also use a TC Electronics Helicon Quintet harmonizer, also controled by MIDI.)
    All the "Audio" versions since then are way too complicated for easy use live!
    I have been using an OLD laptop with Windows 95 for several years.
    I now have a "new" laptop with Windows XP SP2.
    I'm still using the old system until I can get the "bugs" out of the "new" system.
    I can pretty much talk you through anything in CakeWalk 3.0, if you'd like...
    If so, let me know and I'll give you my phone number, and a good time to call.
    I live in the Tampa Bay area, in Florida.
    Tom
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1