BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JSkeen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 612
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/03/20 19:45:35 (permalink)
I am waiting for superior 2 i have always liked the toontrack stuff. DFHS is still one of my most used plugins
dewdman42
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/03/21 20:38:03 (permalink)
I would wait until Superior2 comes out and then compare the reviews and listen to what people have to say about it. its not out yet. My friend got BFD2 and though the improvements are large, he still is somewhat unsatisfied with some of the basic samples used. I personally think Toontrack has always done better at capturing the better drum samples, but their GUI's were inferior. Their new stuff is a lot better though in terms of GUI and the sounds are pretty fantastic. I think you can't go wrong with either one. My money is on S2, but really, until they are both out and you hear productions done with them and critical reviews, you're just taking a chance.

maxthecat
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/03/23 22:31:53 (permalink)
Thanks for the feedback. I decide to go ahead and get BFD 2 and Superior 2 when it comes out. BFD 2 is on the way. I've read enough about it to believe they have made major improvements to it and overall the reviews from users have been very good. When Superior 2 comes out I'll pick that up as well.
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/06/10 12:23:13 (permalink)
bump!

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
login
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/11/24 15:12:14 (permalink)
I've done research on all of the drum software out there. One of the reasons EZDrummer is better then BFD is simply because Toontrack spent way more time with their samples. For example, Toontrack recorded 20 samples at each velocity level on each drum and set the program up in a way that EZdrummer will not play the same sample until at-least twenty consecutive hits have been struck. And that doesn't even include the rim shots. This means that there will be more variation and realism in the sound. BFD uses only ten different samples per drum hit across the skin. In my opinion EZdrummer's graphics are way better to. It also has a microphone leakage effect which is the sound of the overspill from a group of drums being played at the time. Leakage is something that would happen in real drum recordings and is necessary to make the drums sound more like the real thing. Toontrack's samples sound deeper and emphasize each other oppose to multiple samples just playing along together. Just check out some of the videos on YouTube and compare Toontrack to BFD. If you have a good ear you should be able to distinguish the better software just by comparing the two programs being demonstrated. Thanks-
B.R.
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/11/24 20:10:30 (permalink)
I have both BFD2 and Superior 2.0, and each has its own strengths and weaknesses, this being from the perspective of "right out of the box" before any major and detailed tweaking (which I haven't got around to doing yet and probably won't until I'm ready to mix my project down). BFD2's cymbals are fuller and richer sounding, S2's are a little tinny and small. BFD2's rolls on the toms are machine-gunny, S2's are smooth and realistic--no machine guns. I can get the snare to make a decent roll in BFD2 but can't for the life of me in S2. By "roll" I mean the "And now the winner is....drum roll, please..." type. It can't be done in S2--ridiculous. How rare is a freakin' drum roll? Toontrack suggested I manually MIDI it, but what a pain that is. So I did, and I still can't get a manually midi'd snare roll to sound realistic in S2, but in BFD2 it works pretty good.

Once I get time to really get in there and tweak stuff, I have hopes that I can get either program to do the job for me. So I'm glad I got both programs--some things seem easier and better in one of them, and others in the other. I would recommend either for good sounding drums. If I could somehow marry the cymbals and snare from BFD2 with the toms from S2, now that would be the ultimate drum kit!
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: BFD 2 Upgrade vs. Toontrack Superior 2 2008/12/03 13:49:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jose7822

ORIGINAL: maxthecat

I hear you. Drums are one of my weak points. I wish I could find a really good source of how-to's for creating great drum tracks. You know that is so integral to a great piece of music but is seems to be the most overlooked of the literature and how-to reference sources and books out there. I wish some one would come up with one.

You already have all you need to learn how to create great drum beats. Just listen to the drums of your favorite songs and pay attention to what each drum is doing. Listen each song 1,000 times if you have to until you get the feel for it, or better yet, until you can play it on your air drums. I do this all the time while listening to music at home or while driving (do it at your own risk though). But this way you know what's possible and what is not (although impossible can be desirable depending on the style of music).

You could also analyze the beats that come with EZ Drummer as they were played by real drummers. An even more effective way is to take drum lessons for a couple of months, just to get the idea. The sky is the limit.

Hope this Helps!

right on jose .. thats what I did -- listen listen listen -- practice prgamming or sequencing ever nuience of a song you like the drums on --- make up your own .. take lessons .... practice with trigger pads --

i ve done all that .. not all at once of course but little by little...

you right..... sky is the limit -- like everything else takes time and patience ... but I had fun learning to do it for sure

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1