Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track

Author
Brak
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/03/28 04:26:01 (permalink)

Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track

For some reason this used to work, but now it isn't.

I have a track which has different note assigned to different MIDI channels. But from some reason its all being played on a single MIDI channel.

How do I get it to work properly again. (I assumed I clicked somewhere I shouldn't have.

7 Replies Related Threads

Brak
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/03/28 05:38:05 (permalink)
    Nevermind, I figured it out.

I had to set the MIDI channel of the track to "none".
    I don't remember having to do that before......

Anyway....
    If anyone knows how I can still assign the MIDI channel to the track and have the channel numbers in the event list be relative to the assigned channel would be cool.
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/03/28 12:48:32 (permalink)
    As you discovered, assigning a midi channel to a track overrides the channel numbers in the individual events in the track.

What is it that you want to accomplish by assigning a midi channel to the track? I don't understand your comment about relative channel numbers.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Brak
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/03/30 23:04:48 (permalink)
    It would just help things be more organized, allow me to explain.

When I look at my tracks now I have no clue what channels are assigned to what.
    But if I could set the track to a midi channel, and have the midi channels in that track be relative to that, then I would know what was on what. Plus it would help with patch changing on the fly.

So if I have track one set to channel 1, and in that track I have midi 1-4 being used - then that would translate to midi 1-4 being used.
    If I have track two set to channel 5, and in that track I have midi 1-3 being used - then that would translate to midi 5-8 being used.

So having that ability would just make life simpler.
    larrymcg
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/03/31 01:12:55 (permalink)
    I guess the problem is that track numbers and midi channels are totally unrelated. It seems that you have some idea about which midi channels are being used in which tracks, otherwise, in your example, you would not know to set track two to channel 5.

How about this, use the "Split Channel to Track" CAL routine to create tracks with data for only one midi channel each. Then, assuming that you don't start with multiple tracks containing data for the same midi channel, you can have tracks and midi channels correspond in whatever way you want. I've seen a lot of midi files and, unless they are type 0 midi files, tracks tend to have data for only one midi channel. I don't know why you'd have multiple midi channels in a single track in the first place. However, the Split Channel to Track CAL routine can make things simpler in some sense. You said it would be good to make life simpler -- having data for one midi channel in a track really is simpler.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Brak
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/03/31 01:52:09 (permalink)
    I know they are unrelated, and obviously I have some idea what is on what. But if Cakewalk could do what I mentioned it would just make things easier - as I would know that the "base" midi channel for the track is such-and-such.

The reason I have multiple channels per track is because I compose in various tunings (Just Intonation, Mean Comma 4). So when a track has more than one note playing simultaneously I need to have each note on its own channel (I use the pitch wheel to tune the note to the proper pitch). So I know that my Lute tracks have allocated to them 4 channels. So if the song has two lutes, and if I had track 1 assign MIDI Ch1, and track 2 to MIDI Ch5, then I would know immediately that Track one has 1-4 and track 2 has 5-8.
    larrymcg
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/03/31 12:08:05 (permalink)
    You certainly have a good reason for multiple midi channels per track! Thanks for that explanation.

I'd guess that you are not going to find the feature you want - on the other hand you say it used to work. You have made me curious so I'll look for an option.

You might be able to write a CAL routine that would determine what track it is working on and then adjust the midi channel numbers accordingly. Or the CAL routine could accept a parameter specifying the first midi channel number to use. But you would still need to keep the channel number for the track set to "--". Running a CAL routine probably isn't what you want to do all the time but once run on a track you can save the results.

I just realized that we never established which Cakewalk product you are using. This forum is for the Pro Audio product but sometimes people just think it is for discussions for professional audio people. Are you using the Pro Audio product?

--Larry

tommyguitar5000
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Problem: Multi Channel/Single Track 2008/10/28 15:34:31 (permalink)
    Try to "Save as: MIDI type 0" that should work.
    MIDI file type 0 (zero) is all on one track, while MIDI file type 1 is on separate tracks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1