Good Golly Wonga!

Author
mrMRKelly
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
2008/04/09 11:20:20 (permalink)

Good Golly Wonga!

Sorry to say it, but i've recently upgraded my equipment and have converted to Logic 8.

This was just because the banners said that the Mac Pro was the choice for audio professionals and as this is what i aspire to be, I had to get one at the consequence at not being able to use Sonar 5.

I am extremely impressed, shocked in fact, with the quality of Logics plug-ins! Shocked i tell ye! Will have to play around with it for a bit longer to see how quick the workflow can be though.

Still, i've got too many songs based in Sonar to have to give it up completely, so will still be using it for a little while longer! Perhaps i can do a comparison, rewire 1 Reason song to Sonar and the same one to Logic, burn them to cd and the listen to see if they sound any different?

matt

Check out my other tracks: http://www.reverbnation.com/MRKuk

For my drumming site: http://www.reverbnation.com/mattkdrums

Become a friend on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mrMRKmusic

19 Replies Related Threads

dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 11:27:09 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that you've gone over to the dark side.

I've heard tell that you can run SONAR successfully on a Mac under Boot Camp...so you should be able to have your Cake(walk) and lunch with Billy's evil twin (Steve Jobs) too.

Dan Tarbill
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 11:46:19 (permalink)
    What is this thread other than an ad for a competing product?
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 11:55:23 (permalink)
    Hi Matt,

Logic 8 has some real genius bits...
    But if you read the Apple support forums, you'll see plenty of folks having dropouts and poor CPU loading across multi-core processors with OSX 1.5.2 (Leopard) and Logic 8.01
    IOW, You've got the same concerns/issues... even when you're using a computer/OS/Application all created/sold by the same company.
    Use the tool you like the best...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:17:31 (permalink)
    the banners said that the Mac Pro was the choice for audio professionals

You made that decision based on a tag line in an advertisement? LOL! Talk about gullible! Pro Tools is actually used in more pro studios than any other software, however, Sonar 7 is cutting into that market share.

post edited by daveny5 - 2008/04/09 12:37:29

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:17:42 (permalink)
    Lots of these threads 'round here recently.

I'll just give my standard reply, then:
    Got any Core Audio Overloads yet?

- zevo
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:22:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mrMRKelly
    Perhaps i can do a comparison, rewire 1 Reason song to Sonar and the same one to Logic, burn them to cd and the listen to see if they sound any different?

Yes. You should do that. I'm curious about what you'll find.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:24:42 (permalink)
    They will sound different, and much discussion will ensue, at the end of which it will be established that the difference is pan laws.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:25:59 (permalink)
    Let me guess will it be %20-%40 better?

Best
    John
    bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:26:31 (permalink)
    hey -

I know a lot of music professionals who have made that choice and are pulling their hair out with tech support. It's ok if you like to spend you time on tech as opposed to making music. I jumped from Logic/Pro-Tools TDM to Sonar and have never been happier - #1 Best Feature of Sonar... This forum. I don't see anything like this for Logic.

That said - we get posts here from people switching to Logic but we don't seem to actually get any reports back after they're using it.

Logic has stability issues. I got tired of doing beta testing for Apple. Love my Macs but making music in Logic drove me nuts. To each his own.

So that there's no sour grapes, I own four Macs at home but make music on the PC with Sonar. It seems to me Apple is striking at the heart of what attracts many to making music on the PC, a simple, low cost solution. Logic 8 studio is an incredible value at $500. Add a cheap I/O and people are working.

Just remember the grass is always greener over the septic tank ;-)
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:41:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bunnyfluffer
    That said - we get posts here from people switching to Logic but we don't seem to actually get any reports back after they're using it.

Relatively new phenonmenon. Give 'em time. They'll be either be back here within the year... or using Reaper.
    Bathroom
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:41:44 (permalink)
    most of the new things that logic can do, Sonar has been doing for years and the logic interface looks like garage band. really pro, yeah!
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 12:51:25 (permalink)
    #1 Best Feature of Sonar... This forum. I don't see anything like this for Logic.

David's "Logic Pro Help" forum is pretty good, and moderated in a professional, well-organized fashion (IMHO).
    That's where I go for my Logic stuff, anyway...

- zevo
    DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 13:58:28 (permalink)
    I like Logic 8 a lot but its certainly got its faults -- mostly to do with dropouts. Some folks are having timing issues.

That said I do like it a lot. It looks nice, flows, nice and has a lot of features. I have to laugh when people write it off because it looks like garage band.

Saying Logic isn't pro is as dumb as saying sonar isn't pro.

I'm with jim on this one. Use what you like. There are no magic bullets on the Mac or the PC. I suspect you would be hard pressed to find many things you couldn't do with comparative ease in Logic or Sonar.

I think we are really comparing apples and apples here -- that would be apples the fruit not the company :)
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 17:18:08 (permalink)
    I'm sure Logic is great, but from the industry professionals i've talked to, movie composers mostly, the majority of them use digital performer on mac.

Personally, i would love a mac laptop, but for reasons other than Logic.
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/09 23:08:57 (permalink)
    In all fairness Logic 8 is a significant improvement over it's predecessor. There is something to say about it's amazing flexibility and it's tight integration with the OS. During the week of WMC I saw it demonstrated by music pros and attended several clinics learning it's many features. Mainstage is another very cool idea for performing musicians.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    mrMRKelly
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/10 04:43:02 (permalink)
    AJ_0000: I wouldn't say that i was promoting Logic or creating a "flame" thread, however on initial observation, Logic's effects/processors seem to sound better than that of Sonar and i wonder why? If anything, perhaps its better for Cakewalk to know that there is a competing product of less monetary value which is offering more, perhaps they may consider improving these things in the future?

daveny5: yeah, just as gullible as you clearly are to believe that i bought a Mac pro on a whim! Come on man, I did my research and was only joking! Furthermore, you'll probably find that audio pro's work on a number of platforms, i'm sorry i can't afford a PT HD3 system right now. If i can't write a hit song on Logic, PT won't help.

Jim Roseberry: No denying that Sonar 5 is great for audio work/tracking, however i work with a great deal of midi and i find editing within Sonar is really clumsy and detrimental to my workflow. Not to mention that i've had a number of stability issues with Sonar from day 1 and have lost many a project and song as a result. I'm sure Logic has its issues too, but it is more of a midi orientated program which will hopefully be of benefit.

inmazevo: no overloads yet!

bunnyfluffer: Once i've got a couple of songs down, i will most certainly ask you guy's whether the production on my music is better with Logic or with Sonar. The thing is, i feel you can learn alot from any forum, even if you don't actually use that specific product. A lot of the principles are the same and can be translated.

Bathroom: I'll just put a blinging gold neclace around my screen and a burberry hat on top.

In any case, the Apogee Ensemble and Genelec 8030a's are delicious!

altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/10 19:24:59 (permalink)
    No denying that Sonar 5 is great for audio work/tracking, however i work with a great deal of midi and i find editing within Sonar is really clumsy and detrimental to my workflow.

I take it you have not experienced Sonar 7's midi improvements...
    mrMRKelly
    RE: Good Golly Wonga! 2008/04/11 05:47:31 (permalink)
    na, but i've already made the change so i can't really go back now!

mrMRKelly
    RE: Ok,.................I miss Sonar a little bit [:(] 2008/05/13 07:54:58 (permalink)
    As promised, here is a bit of feedback following a months usage with Logic 8. Obviously I upgraded from a Tascam us122 with Sonar to an Apogee Ensemble with Logic, so i'm not too sure how the Apogee has affected my judgement on quality etc.

Pro Sonar comments:

- Audio Editing is easier and superior.

- Wav files look more detailed.

- Each track automatically changes colour.

- I know how to use it already.

- 64 bit internal processing just makes me feel better.

- Rewire to Reason was good but a tad clumsy sometimes.

- I wrote loadsa great tracks on Sonar.

Anti Sonar Comments:

- I found it buggy, but eventually learned what would trigger crashes etc so could avoid them.

- Midi editing clumsy.

Pro Logic Comments:

- All included effects and synths are lovely.

- Plenty of effects and synths.

- Easier to move midi/audio parts to snap points on the grid.

- Waveburner and Soundtrax are really good mastering facilities.

- More detailed and spacious recordings (examples up soon) but is this because of the Apogee?

Anti Logic comments:

- All Logic synths and plugins automatically load preset compressors, eq's and reverbs etc. This is really frustrating especially when i'm a guy who likes to "cut" eq rather than "boost" (Logic presets boost). This is basically annoying as I have to delete the additional plug ins.

- Still can't figure out how to rewire Reason properly.

- Too many synths and effects.

- Midi editing no easier that Sonar.

- Need to learn how to use it properly.

- New tracks do not change colour.

- Audio editing frustrating, awkward to create fades, not even sure if its possible to fade at the beginning of a sample.

- Cant access my Sonar files.

- I still havn't written anything half decent yet.

- Not 64 bit internal processing - makes me feel sad.

Maybe i'll partition the hard drive, install windows as well as Sonar.
    Also, I thought the Mac would run £2500.00 faster, but it doesn't.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1