Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus

Author
DaveClark
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 956
2008/04/20 04:42:05 (permalink)

Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus

Greetings all,

From time to time people ask about low-cost video software and some of us suggest Magix Movie Edit Pro. In case you were wondering what you could do with the most recent release (14 and 14 Plus --- includes iClone2 SE and a photo editor that looks suspiciously like GIMP), please see this rudimentary music video (Right-click -> Save Link As...) :

No Clown

I was just trying to learn how to manipulate the avatar in a scene in iClone2 SE so picked one I liked (hubba-hubba) and took advantage of what was in the scene, etc. then edited in Movie Edit Pro. The audio was done in SONAR. The voice is from a text-to-speech program that uses AT&T Crystal 16.

Mainly I'm just trying to show the animation, zooming, panning, a few effects, etc. I think there is a lot there for the price and for an introductory package.

Regards,
Dave Clark

15 Replies Related Threads

harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/20 07:38:25 (permalink)
    I clicked your link and got a bunch of script type charicters... you might want to check it,,, or I'm missing something to read the file...

cheers
    rpjd
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/20 11:46:04 (permalink)
    I right-clicked and saved it to the Desktop (it saves as a .HTM file). I changed the file type to .MP4 and tried it in Quicktime - picture but no sound. I then tried it in Winamp - sound but no picture. Finally, I tried it in VLC player - success!

Cute little video, by the way!

Ray
    DaveClark
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/20 14:28:58 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Thanks for posting.

Yes, it seems that mp4's are not mainstream yet. They look very nice and don't take up as much space as Windows Media files --- at least this one didn't.

Right-clicking and VLC is what I also had to use, but I didn't have to rename it. Left-click will most likely get you binary characters on the screen, i.e. unreadable "text."

For those who still have trouble, I put the mp4 up at YouTube (where it was converted to Shockwave, I believe --- not nearly as nice).

No Clown at YouTube

Regards,
    Dave Clark
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/21 18:29:07 (permalink)
    Dave ,
    thanks for the heads up on the Magix software

hey thats pretty cool ......
    delta blues style paino ....while an animated hottie struts her stuff ...
    interesting creative outlet....
    was the animation included in the program?

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/21 18:44:04 (permalink)
    Really interesting video. I was able to watch the u tube version,,, really interesting!
    DaveClark
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/22 03:06:16 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

Dale (harmony gardens) --- glad you were able to see it. I was impressed with what the programs could do.

Kenny --- The animation sequences canned inside of iClone2 SE (included) are basic motions. They are exactly like the types of sequences you see for characters in games. Inside Quake, for example, they had walk, run, fall forward, fall backward, etc. without background, camera angle, lighting, and so on. They were 3-D models that you can move around as a designer. Usually games have several variations such as: walk1, walk2, walk3, .... More follows:

Inside iClone2 and before rendering, you choose distance, camera angle, 2-D or 3-D setting (background), lighting, and all the rest. So the basic motions are canned, and the 3-D "world" is canned. But because there are so many camera angles, lighting possibilities, distances, and so on, most of the animation sequence as rendered on the screen (2-D) is actually up to the user. As you may know, many games are also like that, i.e. composed of a lot of artwork, but very few animations (uh, *comparatively* speaking that is --- not a simple task to animate something convincingly in my limited experience).

The animation sequence of the girl walking across the street (camera up high) and her walking on the stairs are the same basic walking motion. I just lifted her up in the 3-D world and put her on those stairs, then let her walk by the low and closer camera. Likewise, the girl dancing on the street and dancing up close are the same "dance" motion, one with the camera looking through the fence, the other moved in very close and looking down as if dancing with her.

Hope that explains it well enough for you to get an idea. If you're familiar with game programming, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. If not, you can actually download a demo of iClone2 by itself to test it out. But a video mixer is also necessary for videos, of course. That makes this particular package a good deal.

As an alternative to iClone2, you could of course use video clips from a camcorder, digital camera, and so on.

The song had already been recorded, so I fit the animation to it rather than the reverse. I let the song, the 3-D set, and the avatar suggest the whole thing to me. I rather like having the interaction between video and audio --- makes each richer.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

On edit: I neglected to mention a feature of iClone2, particularly nice for music videos: You can feed audio to the character and animate the face so that the character appears to utter the audio --- to an extent anyway. I prefer even bad animations to nothing. Some of the earlier games and cut sequences with no vocal animations were just awful, IMO.

post edited by DaveClark - 2008/04/22 03:36:14
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/04/23 05:01:57 (permalink)
    Dave ,
    Wow ,
    thanks for taking the time to go in depth on some of the available features of the Magix Movie software
    sounds feature rich on the cheap ... just the way I like emmm
    I have been reading up on the prog since checking in on this thread , ........impressive value ....
    no suprise there, as I have a few of thier music programs .......love emmm
    I've been wanting to get involved in posting vids for a while
    u tube gtr lessons , solo performances .....animations

this software looks like a great place to start my video learning curve climb ....
    screen capture also .......I'm sold
    thanks Dave

Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2008/04/23 05:23:00

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

deepbluemarine
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/14 19:07:52 (permalink)
    Very first time for this, so i don't even know if i am in the right place. I have a Canon zr85 MiniDv. Will Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 recognize the format and can a dummy like me use this program? I have a thousand DV tapes that I want to edit and burn to DVD. Is this the right program?
    DaveClark
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/15 09:05:59 (permalink)
    Hi deepbluemarine,

I think it will work fine, but the best thing to do by far is to test it out:

http://www.magix.com/uk/movie-edit-pro/plus/#

Here you can "Try it for free" near the bottom on the right. Just download the demo and make sure that it works for you.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

deepbluemarine
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/15 12:17:49 (permalink)
    Thank you, I am downloading it as we speak and will let you know. Is there a difference between edit pro 14 and edit pro 14 plus?
    DaveClark
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/15 12:51:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deepbluemarine

Thank you, I am downloading it as we speak and will let you know. Is there a difference between edit pro 14 and edit pro 14 plus?

Yes, some are substantial. It seems that they had some information on what is added for the Plus. Off the top of my head, I cannot tell you, but the Plus includes some licenses for encoders that you would have to pay for otherwise. I thought the Plus was well worth it.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/16 09:27:10 (permalink)
    Hi Dave
    Great info - and thanks for the link
    Can 14Plus do any other formats ?
    for You tube, WMV, avi, mov etc?
    DaveClark
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/16 14:45:30 (permalink)
    Hi Ed,

Yes, it can export all kinds of things. The YouTube export and connections wizard didn't work for me; I'm not sure what happened there, so I just uploaded an MP4. An MP4 encoder is something that is included in Plus but not in the standard one.

Export formats include (from the menu):

AVI
    DV-AVI
    MPEG
    MAGIX video
    Quicktime movie
    Uncompressed video
    MotionJPEG AVI
    Series of single frames
    Windows Media export
    Realtime export
    MPEG-4
    -----
    Audio as WAVE
    Audio as MP3
    -----
    Single frame as BMP
    Single frame as JPEG
    Animated GIF

It has an Internet menu item which goes to the YouTube menu (connect and upload which didn't work for me).

You can burn CD/DVD in various formats.

Best regards,
    Dave Clark

stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/16 16:44:13 (permalink)
    GREAT
    great info
    thanks Dave
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus 2008/05/25 22:10:20 (permalink)
    another company that does reasonably priced things is also Ulead..

although I won a magix product, movies to dvd/cd for doing a survey, wasn't bad for what it does though.

you can do things now video wise on not a massive budget.. so it's good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78aWMdEcv7M

and other friends made

www.eskb.co.uk

check the video section, although "looking down" took AGES to make.. 10 computers rendering for 2.5 months.. the others didn't take long
    post edited by Fog - 2008/05/25 22:33:48
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1