Rapture is making me sad...

Author
AttackOfTheGeese
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2008/04/25 23:52:44 (permalink)

Rapture is making me sad...

I installed Rapture on my new laptop today, which runs 32-bit vista, with 3 gigs of ram and a 2.1 ghz intel core 2 duo. After realizing I needed the 1.1 update, I uninstalled regular rapture and installed the new version. I tried opening it in Project 5 version 2.5 (fresh with all updates), and got an error message. I didn't know if it needed the expansion packs to run, so i also installed the expansion packs. No error messages came up during any installation of either the update or the expansions. But the exact error message came up again after trying to open it in the sequencer, which was this:

http://burkster.zoomshare.com/files/RaptureError.jpg

I just took a screenshot of it for all of you to see. The Interface isn't even showing up.

Whats going on??

~Laura~

13 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 00:15:08 (permalink)
    I can't remember, but I think you install 1.1 over 1 - or I did anyway. Did you check the notes for 1.1?

I've never had a problem with Rapture tho I've put it on 2 computers in the last couple of years, so my memory is hazy about the exact steps.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 02:37:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AttackOfTheGeese

I installed Rapture on my new laptop today, which runs 32-bit vista, with 3 gigs of ram and a 2.1 ghz intel core 2 duo. After realizing I needed the 1.1 update, I uninstalled regular rapture and installed the new version. I tried opening it in Project 5 version 2.5 (fresh with all updates), and got an error message. I didn't know if it needed the expansion packs to run, so i also installed the expansion packs. No error messages came up during any installation of either the update or the expansions. But the exact error message came up again after trying to open it in the sequencer, which was this:

http://burkster.zoomshare.com/files/RaptureError.jpg

I just took a screenshot of it for all of you to see. The Interface isn't even showing up.

Whats going on??

~Laura~

Who knows? Vista is buggy.

If you are running System Restore, or whatever Vista's version of System Restore is called, you can revert your disk back to a previous, stable state--for instance, before you started with the Rapture install. In Windows XP, System Restore is accessible via the system Help & Support window. You'll have to discover what this feature is called in Vista.

And by the way, you might increase your system's stability by running Windows XP for digital audio production instead of Vista.

--kwgm
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 03:22:39 (permalink)
    Rapture makes me really happy. Works great on XP. RTFM.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 06:56:13 (permalink)
    I just took a screenshot of it for all of you to see.
    Ntdll.dll. Like most Windows error messages, that could have many causes, but chances are that it's a bad install. With no visible GUI, I'm wondering if your Resources folder was corrupted. Look in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture\Resources (by default), and see if it has a large number of image files within it.

Your image shows the DXi version. If you also chose to also install the VSTi version, see if that will launch in Project5.
    In P5, the VSTi version will be lower in the list, under Cakewalk -> Rapture.

Another diagnostic that eliminates some variables is launching the Rapture Microhost. Look in Windows Explorer under your installation path [something like C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture by default]. Double-click on Rapture.exe to run the Microhost. (Depending on your default folder settings, this file may be hidden, or the .exe file extension may not be visible.)
    I didn't know if it needed the expansion packs to run, so i also installed the expansion packs.
    Were these the individual XP-1 and XP-2 installers, or the combined XP-1/XP-2 installer? It shouldn't matter, but the latter, larger file claims "new Rapture 1.1 compatibility". In either case, the 1.1 update installer will move any programs or Expansion Packs to Vista-compatible locations.
    vespesian
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 07:24:59 (permalink)
    Try running P5 "as an administrator" (like - via the right click option) when you plan to open rapture within.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

moodshift
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 09:27:56 (permalink)
    Laura, if this is happening with the DXi version of Rapture 1.1, it is a known issue and it has to do with the initial latency for the audio driver of the DAW (Project5 in this case.) SONAR and Project5 default to a setting of 100 ms with a directX driver, so back that down to something realistic for the 20th century like 5 to 20 ms. Or change to the ASIO driver if you use that and set the buffers to something well below 4096.

I believe this doesn't happen with the VSTi version of Rapture 1.1 but I'm not sure.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/04/26 14:02:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: moodshift

Laura, if this is happening with the DXi version of Rapture 1.1, it is a known issue and it has to do with the initial latency for the audio driver of the DAW (Project5 in this case.) SONAR and Project5 default to a setting of 100 ms with a directX driver, so back that down to something realistic for the 20th century like 5 to 20 ms. Or change to the ASIO driver if you use that and set the buffers to something well below 4096.

I believe this doesn't happen with the VSTi version of Rapture 1.1 but I'm not sure.

An excellent post! Very informative -- thank you.

--kwgm
    yungxcraven
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/05/05 12:28:13 (permalink)
    Actually you couldn't pay me to switch back to XP. With the right sound card and good Vista drivers, it's a cakewalk!!

Sonar X1, Edirol FA-66, HP Elite, Intel Quad core i5 3.2, 8 GB ram, Blue Bluebird, FL 10, Nexus 2.
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/05/07 18:14:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yungxcraven

Actually you couldn't pay me to switch back to XP. With the right sound card and good Vista drivers, it's a cakewalk!!

+1
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/05/08 12:03:43 (permalink)
    I had kinda of the same experience...... I installed Rapture.......rebooted....installed update 1.1......rebooted........installed the expansion packs 1 & 2.........rebooted then opened sonar....inserted soft synth Rapture...opened the program browser and only one program (a bass program of some sort) was listed.....pushed F5......nothing.....closed out sonar.....rebooted...opened sonar....opened Rapture...opened program Browser.....same bass program listed..nothing else.......I navagated to Raptures program folder and it listed all the program files and the expansoin packs......but Rapture did not see them.......so I tried the same thing with Rapture LE........same result........

I do not know how to solve this.........anyone?????

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    MusicMaker5
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/05/08 14:38:12 (permalink)
    Laura,

Is your machine an AMD or Intel? That Ntdll.dll driver error is sometimes tracked back to the AMD processor chip. Microsoft made a change to the service pack 2 that closed some security hole. But it started affecting AMD PCs. I think Microsoft may test their patches only on INTEL and not AMD processors.

Just a Thought....

Daniel

post edited by MusicMaker5 - 2008/05/08 14:58:44

See me at http://www.danielnevels.com

Hear my music at http://www.ShofarMusic.Com
    B.M.M, BA Music, CEA
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/05/08 21:11:59 (permalink)
    IIRC on Vista, I had to move the Rapture programs in the bonus packs to the correct location - I believe it's c:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture\*

The bonus pack installer - or something - left them in c:\program files\cakewalk\rapture\programs - yup, I even have a text file in that dir that points to c:\ProgramData\...

Doug
    post edited by dougsyo - 2008/05/08 21:33:39

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Rapture is making me sad... 2008/05/09 15:16:38 (permalink)
    Dougsyo
    I am using XP
    I did not want to get vista......too unstable for ME
    Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge