How do you buy a domain name for a website?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 12:44:14 (permalink)
You get what you pay for.

True that's what I tried to point out with my 99% up-time guarantee. That means you're actually down 3.65 days every year. Preposterous, if you put it that way, but that's the harsh truth. If planes would be that safe, noone would dare to fly. You want a bit more than 99%. Preferably like 4 digits, all nines.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 12:49:01 (permalink)
I never said reputable...

and I was thinking more like powerful...

they're not going anywhere.

and the article in mention regards a tame offense in the domain name game.

for example, approximately one month ago thru Network Solutions the domain name mikemccue.com became available after apprx 5 years of it being held hostage by a third party name broker. I had passed on the opurtunity to get that name when I got into the web stuff circa 1998... at some point a name broker bought it and attempted to hold it until someone paid the suggested rate of $7,000 USD to get it transfered.

1 month ago Network Solutions got it for me for the standard fees and no special pricing for a broker.

I like power.

best regards,
mike
Roflcopter
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 13:57:30 (permalink)
Oh, I'm sorry - I thought you meant 'conservative' that way, as in solid, established. Personally, I'd not touch them with a ten-foot stick, after reading that. I hate smarty-pant suppliers.

Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 14:52:08 (permalink)
1 month ago Network Solutions got it for me for the standard fees and no special pricing for a broker.

How did you find out that it had become available?

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

The Maillard Reaction
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 16:51:24 (permalink)
I was checking something else and idly typed it in to the search for available name... I check every now and then. I was surprised so registered it and just pointed it to an existing site that I have.
The Maillard Reaction
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 19:43:39 (permalink)
good news!

yet bad news... and worse... all too familiar news:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1378702
Roflcopter
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 19:56:16 (permalink)
Yeah, amazing how many websites actually fit on one IP, with arcane ISP trickery - with a bit of luck you could indeed share one with a few nasties, and then mistakes are easily made...

Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 20:33:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Yeah, amazing how many websites actually fit on one IP, with arcane ISP trickery - with a bit of luck you could indeed share one with a few nasties, and then mistakes are easily made...

One of the unfortunate parts of having a shared hosting plan. My shared-host email addresses are practically worthless for outgoing messages because they're on spam blacklists. Apparently I inherited a nasty IP address (or one of my IP "roommates" is a spammer), and there's not much I can do about it :(

On the topic of domain squatters...

Good to hear you beat one, mikemcc! You don't know how rare that is. Those squatters can sit on a domain for years, holding it for ransom if they know you're interested. Really there should be some sort of regulations about that. If a domain remains idle for X years, it automatically gets thrown back into the pool.
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/05 21:33:28 (permalink)
Actually, domain squatting was legislated many years ago. It is illegal in many countries to do so. If a name was taken, and not used in a timely period, all you had to do was file a complaint with Network Solutions (who own most of the root servers) or your countries regulating body.

IP to name sharing is a necessary evil in the world of IPV4 (the old network protocol). There are not enough IPs in the old system to support a one IP to one Host paradigm. IPV6 has orders of magnitude more, but it is still not fully implemented.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
soulsolution
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/06 23:37:12 (permalink)
godaddy.com is a good place for names but hosting with them may not be as good.
i take that back... godaddy.com is a GREAT place to get a name...
you can go to domainrunner.org to get a list of hosting companies.
just about any company on their list is a good company. you shouldn't have to pay more
than $6-$10 a month or $72 to $120 a year. I would get the larger packages
that go for about $120 a year. you can get multiple sites hosted. This way you can host
your music site, a business site, a friends site, etc.........
all for $120 a year.

anyone who tells you this or that about data transfer problems using multiple sites
is full of it and doesn't know what they are talking about. just about any
hosting company listed at that domainrunner site will offer 500 gigs of traffic,
'unlimited traffic', a terrabyte of traffic, etc......... AND ... unless you're Yahoo,
Google, or that prostitute who slept with Elliot Spitzer...... I doubt you will
be having millions of hits. traffic is nothing to worry about when you first start out.
EVEN with MP3 files. i have many, many sites with videos and MP3 files. they get downloaded,
hits, traffic, etc......no problems, no problem with data transfers...........

oh yeah....... many hosting companies offer web site templates, free statistics, free software, extras.....
dreamweaver is a great thing to learn to design sites yourself and it's easy to learn.

i just took another look at network solutions......
absolutely no reason why you should be paying those prices.....
$9 'starter' package only has 250 GB of data transfer
then it's $13 or $29 a month.....

go somewhere else for hosting. you can get it cheaper with many, many other companies
post edited by soulsolution - 2008/05/06 23:58:57
The Maillard Reaction
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/07 07:50:06 (permalink)
well, consider this,

I charge $60 an hour to work on your website.

My wife gets $90 for her active server programming.

And we are small time cottage industry... so the prices are low... but we come with a 100% rep.

If I have to re-upload your website once... or have to muck around with it on one of those 3.65 days... you're gonna wish you just paid more up front for airtight service.

A couple times a year I rescue sites for desperate clients who have convinced me to work for them.

Obviously this is not the only way to do it... but it makes for good advice.

best regards,
mike
The Maillard Reaction
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/07 08:04:10 (permalink)
Here's some breaking news from the Sonar Producer forum:

this thread

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1380206

links to this notice:

http://realworld.co.uk/

"The majority of Real World, Peter Gabriel and WOMAD web services are currently off-line. Our servers were stolen from our ISP's data centre on Sunday night - Monday morning. We are working to restore normal service as soon as possible."

I can assure you that IF that could POSSIBLY happen in the NTT/Verio hosting system that I recommend to MY clients that the interuption of service would only last for a few hours if not minutes.

NTT/Verio actually notifies us of interuptions of service... they are very infrequent and sorted out amazingly fast.

Things like hurricanes destroying data centers are dealt with... pre-emptively. (This is a real life concern that I have experienced first hand)

anyways, best regards,
mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/05/07 08:12:41
Roflcopter
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/07 17:50:08 (permalink)
There are not enough IPs in the old system to support a one IP to one Host paradigm

True, but like, planes are slightly overbooked in the knowledge there are always a few no-shows. The internet is many, many times overbooked, and everybody showed up, too. Oh, and ofcourse they all paid.

It's not entirly as if it's all IP4's fault.

jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/07 18:20:32 (permalink)
www.Experthost.com

since 2003 with them and 7 sites

Hey Mike do you do Cold Fusion? ASPX? Flash?
god i have to get off this Cold fusion

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
The Maillard Reaction
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/07 21:25:51 (permalink)
My wife does all the data base stuff... but she has a full time job doing it. I mainly do the media, graphix, and .htm stuff but prefer to play guitar :-)

spelling once again
post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/05/07 21:46:37
mwd
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/12 22:22:42 (permalink)
Been with directnic for about a decade for my domain names.

Straight forward name management for 15 bucks a year.
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/13 00:34:11 (permalink)
As others have already stated, you can sign up for a host service and many of them will include the cost of domain name registration in with the annual cost of the host service. So basically, to you, it seems like one lump sum that you pay to them at periodic intervals (could be monthly, yearly or more). That's how I eventually chose to do it and I haven't looked back. I think you can check for the availability of a dot com name through whois.com (if I'm wrong about the URL someone please correct me). You just type the name you want and it will tell you if it's already taken. Find one that's not taken and you're golden. It's basically that simple.

Now, having said that, I'm in agreement that finding the perfect host service is worse than getting root canal. Or it can be. I could write a book of horror stories about this subject. I'm sure there are a lot of reputable and good-running services out there. You can try places like http://www.vistainter.com/ if you want to see what kind of feedback the general public is saying about the various services (don't pay much attention to their own "best of" listings - just read what people are saying). They put Midphase at the top and I tell you they were awful. Terrible uptime. Their service was constantly down.

For the record, I am using Pair Networks and they have been fanstastic. I've been using them for a couple of years now and have never ever seen the service down for any reason. To me, no matter how many features they have or how good the pricing is, it means nothing if they can't keep their servers up and running 24/7.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with and how well it all turns out for you.

PS - btw, if you chose to go a different route than any of our suggestions, then let me suggest that before you make a buy decision, call their tech support number and see how long it takes for someone to answer the phone. Ask a couple of simple questions and see if they respond to your satisfaction. Maybe even test their email tech support and see how long it takes to get a response. The results of this little "test" might help you make a final decision.

PSS - one final comment which may or may not have a bearing on what you're doing. If this is a band situation, do some soul searching and make sure your band is intact for the time being. I have personally seen people go through the hassle of setting up a website dot com address only to have the band disintegrate a little while later. It can be a little troublesome to get a refund on an unused portion of a host service bill and the dot com registration fee might not be refundable at all. If you do anything, start small (maybe just sign up for a year at first) and see how things go before committing to a longer service agreement. MySpace, for all it's quirks and foibles, is not a bad way to go for starters. It's free and you can do a lot of customizing to the page to make it look pro. And I would venture to say that all the majors are watching MySpace closely. If you are doing a lot of business on MySpace, it gets noticed believe me. Cheers!
post edited by krizrox - 2008/05/13 01:05:55

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
soulsolution
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/13 03:16:58 (permalink)
i agree with krizrox that myspace might be a good temporary place to go if you have a band.
i have also seen people get names and hosting and never even use them because their band,
idea, or business never got off the ground...... by the way, the myspace is "cheesy" as you say
cause most people make it cheesy. many large bands and artists have their own myspace site including U2, BB Kings night club,
bonnie rait, and more..... ( i don't have one but that's because i have too many web sites already.)

as per hosting companies.....

i have also had nightmares with many of them. any hosting company may let you down. it's not a big deal though.

i can give you some advice if you want to see what i think of some of the many hosting companies.
don't want to go into detail here and bore people to death.

(i'll just add a few opinions here)
i currently host with 7 companies.

have hosted with about 25 so far (last 10 years).

almost any web site that reviews companies is also trying to get you to host
with a particular company that will throw them "a bone" if you sign up. even some of
my sites do that.

all of them suck at some point. they all will drop the ball. $hit happens.
but don't let it bother you. stay away from ipoweweb though. you will be on the phone
for 2 hours waiting for help (possibly... has happened to me and many of my clients)
as well as having them change your cgi bin to another server without warning, etc.....
godaddy is a great place to buy names but not so great with hosting.
personally.... i like hostgator.com, wingsix.com, hostrocket.com, hostmonster.com (lately
they're just ok), tierranet.com (a little more expensive but extremely nice people),
and aplus.net

just about all of the big companies will offer same services and space (just about).

by all means.... if you don't host with a company i mentioned above (which all have
24/7 phone support - except for wingsix i think) host with a company that DOES have 24/7 phone support.

i can go on for hours here but i will stop so i don't write a book. if anyone wants some free advice
and wants me to go into detail. just send me a private message and i'll reply best i can. thanks.

oh yeah........
whois.com used to be an interface to the Icann database when the Internet was a monopoly.

now.....any company has their own whois interface to the Internet database.

whois.com is now a web site owned by a company in Nepal. you do a search and then
buy a name from a company in Nepal. you can do a search for your name from any hosting
or domain name site.

(believe it or not - that was short - i could have gone on for another 87 paragraphs - yikes!)

post edited by soulsolution - 2008/05/13 04:03:41
Michael8it
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/17 07:33:50 (permalink)
As rookies, we used Network Solutions for both registration and hosting as we were told by a Webmaster that they were "top shelf" - never had a single problem.

+1 for them.
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/05/19 14:55:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jcschild

www.Experthost.com

since 2003 with them and 7 sites

I've been with Experthost since 2001... at one point I had over 20 sites hosted through them. I'm down to three.

They're great.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
Xfusion
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/15 18:39:15 (permalink)
Well, I typed in the domain name I wanted in IE (as if it was already an up and running site), and it says that the name is currently registered at wowname.com and it doesn't give me the option of buying it with the .com. Is there anyway I can find out how to buy it with the .com? Obviously someone is just holding it for no reason because it's a bizarre name. Makes me so mad!
Dave King
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/15 20:07:40 (permalink)
Is there anyway I can find out how to buy it with the .com?

You can find out if it is available and perhaps whant the status is on it at networksolutions.com

I think you can also research the owners of domain names by using whois (do a seach on it).

Best,

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Xfusion
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/15 20:40:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dave King

Is there anyway I can find out how to buy it with the .com?

You can find out if it is available and perhaps whant the status is on it at networksolutions.com

I think you can also research the owners of domain names by using whois (do a seach on it).

Best,

Thanks so much for the tip - I just went to networksolutions.com and made an offer on the name I want (the offer had to be at least $100, so that's what I offered). So wish me luck - I need it after the day I've had!
Dave King
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/15 23:04:55 (permalink)
Thanks so much for the tip - I just went to networksolutions.com and made an offer on the name I want (the offer had to be at least $100, so that's what I offered). So wish me luck - I need it after the day I've had!

Good Luck!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Xfusion
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/21 10:15:21 (permalink)
Well, I think there's some serious problems - the registrant of my domain name according to whois.com is a place called dynamo.com, and I did a google search on them, and it seems like a fishy place that has caused trouble for others as well. I used Network Solutions Certified Offer Service to try to contact them, and they have but they aren't responding at all (and they have 10 days to respond). I'm sure these are domain squatters. Who do I contact to complain? I had no idea how out of control this cybersquatting is.
Spaceduck
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/21 11:03:20 (permalink)
Hey Xfusion, I feel your pain man. I've been run thru the ringer once or twice myself.

So let me get this straight, the domain you want is (or was) available but some reseller snagged it and refuses to sell even though you made a legitimate high bid?

Here's one possibility... dynamo may have grabbed the name thru some automated system, and it's not officially in their possession yet. Lots of shady resellers do that trick--they grab domains in bulk without paying for them; then 1 or 2 weeks later when they have to pay, they simply release the name back into the pool. That would be good news for you.

It happened to me once... a company called Snapnames grabbed the domain I wanted. I sent them an email, but I never heard back. Then a week later the domain was available again & I snagged it for $7. Let's hope you get lucky too.

If not, the official "domain police" is a group called ICANN. Here's their contact form:
http://www.icann.org/cgi/contact/

They may not be able to solve the problem, but they can usually get in touch with the other party. Good luck, I hope it eventually works out!
post edited by Spaceduck - 2008/10/21 11:07:58

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
Xfusion
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/21 11:20:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Spaceduck

Hey Xfusion, I feel your pain man. I've been run thru the ringer once or twice myself.

So let me get this straight, the domain you want is (or was) available but some reseller snagged it and refuses to sell even though you made a legitimate high bid?

Here's one possibility... dynamo may have grabbed the name thru some automated system, and it's not officially in their possession yet. Lots of shady resellers do that trick--they grab domains in bulk without paying for them; then 1 or 2 weeks later when they have to pay, they simply release the name back into the pool. That would be good news for you.

It happened to me once... a company called Snapnames grabbed the domain I wanted. I sent them an email, but I never heard back. Then a week later the domain was available again & I snagged it for $7. Let's hope you get lucky too.

If not, the official "domain police" is a group called ICANN. Here's their contact form:
http://www.icann.org/cgi/contact/

They may not be able to solve the problem, but they can usually get in touch with the other party. Good luck, I hope it eventually works out!

This dynamo.com has to be some sort of domain squatting company because the domain that I want isn't even set up as a site. I have a VERY rare name, and I know that nobody would have a site with that name. In fact, when I type my name (*****.com) in the internet taskbar, it just goes straight to who a (this domain name is already taken) and took me to Network Solutions. I used Network Solutions (I'm not so sure I trust them either) and used their Certified Offer Service for $19 to contact the seller and give them my bid for $100 (because bids have to be at least that). They apparently contacted them, but this dynamo.com hasn't responded. So I don't know what I should do now. The government really should get more involved in this domain squatting nonsense.

Thanks for telling me about the ICANN site - is it free? Should I contact them and tell them what's going on and what all information should I include when I contact them? Thanks for your help!
Spaceduck
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/21 12:00:13 (permalink)
Yup, ICANN is free (to us). They're the company that gives certification to domain resellers, so if they sniff a shady outfit they can threaten to take their certification away. Only problem: that's about the extent of what they can do. So if that fails, they'll probably forward you to another group (I forgot the name) which will take legal action on your behalf... but for a huge fee, like a thousand bucks or something like that.

I had a bad experience with a registrar (Registerfly ) who stole my domain & locked me out. I contacted ICANN, and ICANN sent Registerfly a warning. After that, things cleared up fast!

Btw, here's a direct link to their official complaint form. Got my fingers crossed for ya dude
http://reports.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]
Xfusion
RE: How do you buy a domain name for a website? 2008/10/21 23:41:50 (permalink)
Thanks for your help Spaceduck. I sent them a complaint letting them know what's going on. Let's hope they can help!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1