How to find serious reviews on the internet

Author
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
2008/05/05 06:59:49 (permalink)

How to find serious reviews on the internet

Hi!

Does anybody have a good approach when serching for serious gear reviews on the web? My search results are always totally dominated by online music stores, forum threads and useless Harmony-Central user reviews!

Sven

11 Replies Related Threads

joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/05 07:41:21 (permalink)
    talk to the people in the consignment section of a guitar center type of store (note: NOT GUITAR CENTER, just a store LIKE that, that has a consignment shop). In my experience - those have always been the most non-biased and keen people to ask...
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/05 10:11:18 (permalink)
    If you are thinking of buying a new piece of gear....ask here. This is one of the most active forums I know about on the net. Lots of people here and lots of opinions as well.

edit: most also seem to be knowlegable about music & gear. some ...frightenly so.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/05 10:31:50

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/05 10:39:08 (permalink)
    Don't think you'll find an unbiased one, for the same reasons as you won't find a really unbiased music mag (Ever see CM give out a 3 or 4? mwuha, maybe if the company just went bankrupt that same month). They need the advertising. So, any really independent big site would have to forego advertising, or risk losing ads over bad reviews. Leaves maybe a few goodwilling amateur sites, who ofcourse cannot cover all gear out there.

Anyway, I only go hunting for reviews without anything specific in mind if I've got money burning in my pocket, but don't want to get burned or buy something uncool for other reasons. Which hardly ever happens. I use reviews in a negative way - find bad news when I want to buy a specific thing, like 'model' + 'issues' in google works wonders.

Even stopped buying mags for the untrustworthiness of their reviews. I can get that in forums too, but get 10 times more balanced and diverse viewpoints. For free, too.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/05 12:26:22 (permalink)
    I second Roflcopter's opinion of magazine reviews. They are generally untrustworthy and unreliable. I feel the same way about software reviews: the reviewers apply a disproportionate weight to easily-measured features that you can grasp in ten minutes with the product. The only meaningful review would be one made by an actual user of the product, someone who's lived with it for some time. That's why this forum can be helpful.

That said, though, some magazines do a better job than others. Tape Op is one that routinely trashes products, which could be taken as a sign of independence. Sound on Sound is far and away the best overall magazine on the subject, but their policy is "if you can't say something nice...". So the only heads-up you'll get from them regarding a crap product is that they've never mentioned it.

User reviews on retailer sites can be helpful. I always read the user comments at Sweetwater when considering a purchase. However, folks who write those reviews are almost always brand-new users who do not have enough time with the product yet to evaluate it properly. I take the gushing reviews with a grain of salt.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/05 12:36:34 (permalink)
    The User Reviws section on harmonycentral.com can be helpful because they are submitted by actual users of gear. Also, I feel the reviews in Pro Audio Review, whcih is a free magazine are pretty good.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/06 12:11:10 (permalink)
    I'm well aware that mags are largely biased, but their reviews are still well written for the most part, comprehensive and enjoyable to read. I believe my critical sense is developed enough that I can read between lines pretty well!

If I'm serious about buying something I will certainly bother this forum with it, but the only reason it's useful to me is that I have a fair grasp of each regular member's knowledgability. Other user forums and review sites have too much noise. Harmony Central's user reviews seem to be totally dominated by people who just bought something and are eager to boast (90% of reviews have 9s and 10s on every mark), and GearSlutz are, well... SLUTZ (You have to buy what I own, else you are GAY)!

Will check out Pro Audio Review, though!

Sven

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/06 19:44:52 (permalink)
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/07/09 22:18:55
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/06 20:01:35 (permalink)
    I tend to snoop around the forums for the companies whose products I am interested in. (If they have forums) And like some people here, I try to search for bad news, or anything that would make me not want to purchase something. Finding what works well is easy, just read the product description.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/07 17:09:14 (permalink)
    Reviews are meant to give the reader an overview. A magazine reviewer will never be too critical of products from a major advertiser, however, most magazines are advocates for you, the user, and will not lead you astray promising features that aren't there. So, you have to learn to read between the lines. If you can find reviews from multiple sources, all the better.

I find the best magazine for audio gear to be the British magazine, Sound on Sound. They also have an excellent website.

Peer reviews have limited use because they are very subjective and you have no idea of the reviewer's skills or knowledge. Some peer reviewers will pan a product because of ignorance -- their own. So, the better forums will provide better quality reviews and opinions. For instance, when I need an opinion on a new keyboard, synth, organ, etc. I'll go ask at Keyboard magazine's user forum as there are many pros and semi pro users who hang out there, and they know their stuff by gigging experience.

Finally, if you're interested in market, try to make a trade show every year or so. That's where you really learn about technologies and who's who in the industry.

--kwgm
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/07 17:29:11 (permalink)
    Other user forums and review sites have too much noise. Harmony Central's user reviews seem to be totally dominated by people who just bought something and are eager to boast (90% of reviews have 9s and 10s on every mark)

I think you'll find that quite a few of those are even worse, namely of people who actually put one of those up for sale.

There *are* indeed a few very useful reviews there though, as Jessie already pointed out. Usually they are a lot longer, and far more detailed, and people also tell something about their experience with music and gear in general. Those I trust a lot better.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    aaronk
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: How to find serious reviews on the internet 2008/05/07 17:59:40 (permalink)
    How to find an honest woman in a brothel?

My best gear purchases have been the result of leads from one or two local experts who have steered me the right way.

For software, I pretty much don't buy any without being able to try a demo version.

For hard stuff, I only buy from places with reasonable return policies.

User reviews too often are clearly written by people who just unpacked their new purchase 5 minutes ago.

Sites like this can be good, but keep in mind the ease with which an employee of Brand X can post away on a forum like this, plugging their own company's gear as if they were an ordinary user.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1