Guitar amp noise

Author
gurian1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2008/05/08 13:01:08 (permalink)

Guitar amp noise

OK here is one I just can't seem to solve. I know about gates and expanders...But really, how in the world do you have a fairly quiet / soft song with a heavy guitar track that is completely without noise! Think Mark Knopfler when when he comes in with a VERY high gain sound that is void of hiss or amp noise!!!! If you listen to some of those parts it's as clear and noise free as if it where a Martin being recorded with a pair of world class mic's.....How do you pull this off???

Rob

23 Replies Related Threads

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 13:54:54 (permalink)
    - make sure the guitar is well shielded
    - use good, shielded cables
    - make sure your amp's tubes are not noisy (or replace them)
    - make sure there aren't fluorescent lights in the room causing hum
    - try turning your PC monitor off while tracking (they make some amps hum)
    - move the player around the room to find the spot where there's the least hum
    - crank the amp so that the signal to noise ratio improves
    - place a noise gate (like the Boss NS-1 (or NS-2) in the amp's FX loop

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 15:30:36 (permalink)
    All that.....and use volume envelopes.

You can easily have the volume low or off in the track and use automation to bring up the volume just a millisecond before the guitar starts. The guitar will cover the "noise". Fade down quickly when it ends.

Also....back off the master volume and preamp gain levels to reduce the noise as well. That has to be balanced against the tone you are going for.....mic placement...distance from the speaker also plays a part, as long as you don't loose tone...which is probable, the farther away the mic becomes. (proximity effect)

In addition, the total volume (assuming you are miking the speakers) will play a part. The more you have the various preamp & output stages of the amp cranked the more noise you are amping as well. I use a Boogie with master just below 2 and the volume on 3.5. In clean setting....it's totally quiet. In lead setting, it's still quiet...in standby. If I turn up the master....you can hear the noise... which is OK live but not tolerated well in a recording session.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 16:11:24 (permalink)
    Or (sorry to say) you may need to buy a better amp. Some amps are just plain noisy irrespective of what you do.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 16:26:59 (permalink)
    Some of the noise reduction programs can help you out too. You can't just apply a preset and let'r rip. You've got to tweak until it doesn't wreck the sound of the guitar.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 16:35:14 (permalink)
    Check for ground loops too. Try plugging the amp into a different outlet with nothing else. Ground loops will sound like a constant frequency high hum. Radio frequency interference (lights etc.) will sound like a hum. Hiss can be from a microphonic tube or just the ground layout in the amp. Some amps just hiss due to the circuit.

If you are not familiar with electronics, DO NOT open up the amp and poke around. You can kill yourself pretty easily poking around in there.

Scott
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 17:01:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gurian1

OK here is one I just can't seem to solve. I know about gates and expanders...But really, how in the world do you have a fairly quiet / soft song with a heavy guitar track that is completely without noise! Think Mark Knopfler when when he comes in with a VERY high gain sound that is void of hiss or amp noise!!!! If you listen to some of those parts it's as clear and noise free as if it where a Martin being recorded with a pair of world class mic's.....How do you pull this off???

Rob

remove the transformer and/or tubes (splice all the leads) and put them in a lead box.

did something akin to this with an old noisy marantz amp. Then I cranked it up to 11. It was freaking dead quiet. We're talking about a big amp. Gotta make some sacrifices to get that type of performance I say...
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/05/08 17:25:45
    joshhunsaker
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 17:03:16 (permalink)
    [double post]
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/05/08 17:23:15
    gurian1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 17:25:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input! I have learned through the years a lot of the good techniques you are all mentioning but for the most part I have still been disappointed. If the tune has a dense mix the noise can usually be masked. My issue is with sparse detailed mix's where the over driven guitar becomes very up front and clear.......One of the ideas that was posted to this question over at gearslu** was to use an expander to reduce not only the level of the background noise but to reduce the softest played notes as well. I will experiment a bit with this technique, it sound like it could work. So far noise reduction on the track has worked the best. I guess that's why they call this the "art" of recording.

Rob
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 17:51:33 (permalink)

Hi Rob

Might be a bit of a long shot but if the noise is always at the same frequency, use a frequency analyser to see if the noise is at a single frequency or at least a narrow band, you could then try to use equalization to remove that frequency from your guitar track.

VOXENGO SPAN is a pretty good VST spectrum analyzer if you haven't already got one.

I use a lot of distorted guitars and most of the time, any noise is either lost or even enhances the sound sometimes. This obviously isn't the case with what you're trying to record - maybe you could fiddle around with volume envelopes around your guitar parts so any unwanted noise doesn't get mixed down.

Good luck

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 17:57:13 (permalink)
    OR you could send me your amp for indefinite testing in my studi...uh....I mean sound lab
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 18:02:55 (permalink)
    remove the transformer and/or tubes (splice all the leads) and put them in a lead box.

+1 to that suggestion, if you have the time etc.

also interesting maybe:

http://ayanmusic.com/leaddress.htm
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2008/05/08 18:26:15

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 19:25:38 (permalink)
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/07/09 22:21:10
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 20:45:40 (permalink)
    They're likely tracking with the amp seperated from the control room space as well as the guitar seperated from the amps and control room. The one downside of home studio work to me is that's it's usually a one man show and you have to be pretty close to the computer and other noise generating stuff. If you're using Plug in's or any modeling amp then it's almost a must to insert a noise gate ahead of the amp sim in the chain and sometimes another one after. Real tube amps are much better at dealing with dynamics and are usually a lot quieter.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/08 21:27:53 (permalink)
    The idea about taking the transformers and splicing the wires and placing them into a lead box....that's potentially VERY dangerous. If you are dealing with a tube amp....you can very easily have plate voltages that exceed 450 volts. That is dangerous stuff. If you don't know what your doing ...stay out of the amp. Try EVERYTHING else first...if nothing else works...I still would not do the transformer thing.

I have worked on and built a few power amps...they are nothing to play with.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/08 21:47:58

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Roflcopter
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/09 02:29:09 (permalink)

Yeah, beside having the time, skill would be nice. If you have no experience, better start your modding career with some lighter task.

joshhunsaker
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/09 04:30:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

The idea about taking the transformers and splicing the wires and placing them into a lead box....that's potentially VERY dangerous. If you are dealing with a tube amp....you can very easily have plate voltages that exceed 450 volts. That is dangerous stuff. If you don't know what your doing ...stay out of the amp. Try EVERYTHING else first...if nothing else works...I still would not do the transformer thing.

Well, I mean - naturally - if you don't know what the heck you're doing it's easy just to unplug an amp, reach in and discharge a capacitor into your hand. I've had static electricity cause an arc to occur over a matter of inches directly into my arm - not fun.

The fact is - most amps are built with a metal/steel cabinet, no? I haven't ever been electrocuted from them while they're are on full blast. (solid state). You're not supposed to get near the tubes when it's turned on anyway. It's not dangerous if you get the few important things right - at least construct a Faraday cage for the tubes if not totally seal them in.
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/05/09 04:50:14
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/09 14:42:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Hi Rob

Might be a bit of a long shot but if the noise is always at the same frequency, use a frequency analyser to see if the noise is at a single frequency or at least a narrow band, you could then try to use equalization to remove that frequency from your guitar track.

VOXENGO SPAN is a pretty good VST spectrum analyzer if you haven't already got one.

I use a lot of distorted guitars and most of the time, any noise is either lost or even enhances the sound sometimes. This obviously isn't the case with what you're trying to record - maybe you could fiddle around with volume envelopes around your guitar parts so any unwanted noise doesn't get mixed down.

Good luck

Steve

Thanks for that link Steve. That will be most useful!

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/09 15:05:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for that link Steve. That will be most useful!

Maybe also dl the GlissEQ demo while you're there and find out how useful it gets, with markers provided in that exact same screen, to manipulate what you see directly....
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2008/05/09 15:25:22

boogielicious
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/10 08:51:22 (permalink)
    If you would like to learn more about the insides of your amps, check out the Hoffman Amp forum. Hoffman Amp Forum the folks there know a whole lot about building amps and the safety precautions needed.

There is a whole lot of circuit design that goes into making an amp quiet from a noise standpoint. First and foremost is how the circuit is laid out, avoiding parallel wires, using quality resistors and capacitors, good tubes or solid state amps, proper grounding inside the amp. I spent weeks getting my bassman circuit layout right to get it to be very low noise. Even then, some 12AX7 tubes would be noisey.

But even with all that, higher gain circuits can have noise. This is because of the gain stages multiplying noise. A Fender Bassman really only has two preamp gain stages followed by the power amp. Leo Fender used filters (resistors and capacitors) to remove low and high noise to keep it clean. Each gain stage can amplify your signal by up to 100 times.

High gain amps, some Marshalls and Mesas for example, can have up to 4 gain stages to get that wonderful crunch. This presents a challenge to keep the noise down because any minor noise from your guitar signal can be amplified up to 100x100x100x100 times. It's not really that much, but you get the idea.

I can almost certainly guarantee that Mark Knopfler used some kind of noise reduction to eliminate the hiss. Noise gates can do it, but you can also just "cut" out the noise with Sonar as Guitarhacker suggested above. It is really easy. I just split the clip and delete the noise on section that I am not playing or singing.

The other option is guitar pedals. There are some excellent ones out there that can get the crunch you are after with lower noise.

Scott
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/10 13:37:22 (permalink)
    You could record clean aned use an amp sim.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    joshhunsaker
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/10 15:07:10 (permalink)
    Maybe create an amp that uses a balanced signal at every single stage?
    pgw
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/13 14:19:52 (permalink)
    I´d look @ smaller, high gain amps - a well constructed small amp is less noisy than a big amp of the same construction-quality.
    I have no clue what Knopfler is using today, but remember him using Soldano amps some years ago.

Personally I only use high powered amps for clean sounds - for crunch I prefer my `61 Gibson RV30 ( 14W ), or for metal sounds my Marshall 6100 set to 25W - which is far too loud IMO.

B_Nez
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Guitar amp noise 2008/05/15 01:39:12 (permalink)
    Not sure which Mark Knopfler tune you have in mind, but I would say definitely try the neck pickup with tone knob all the way off (or nearly so). Crank master volume (if equipped), adjust preamp gain for desired saturation, and adjust amp tone controls to taste. The tone roll-off eliminates much of the noise inherent in hi-gain applications, and the tubes will generate harmonics to replace your lost top end. Sounds amazing - might be what you're looking for.

MOTU 828mkII, M-Audio Octane
    Event TR-8N, Sonar 6.2.1 Producer
    http://go.berkleemusic.com/Samsound
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=380296
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1