Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire)

Author
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
2008/05/11 01:13:20 (permalink)

Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire)

Hi Everyone,

I usually use SONAR (7PE) for recording (audio and MIDI), but sometimes I use P5 (2.5) for doing MIDI (VSTi/DXi) with softsynth and drum samplers, etc. (for beats or patterns). I've recently been getting a little deeper with the functionality of both via ReWire and noticed some differences from standalone use.

(Sorry for the preface, but I thought it might help.)

My question is, is it a limitation of P5 or the ReWire protocol that does not allow me to record audio into P5 when ReWired into S7? I am hoping I can make simple loops from audio recorded "on the fly," if you will in P5 and dropping the recorded clips into the Grove Matrix for looping. (I do not usually use loops in my recording process, but for repeating drum patterns - nothing new there). So I created a S7 template (with P5 ReWired) only to find that I cannot add an audio input for an audio track in P5. So, making audio loops on the fly and dropping them into the Groove Matrix seems to be a no-go. Do I have this right, ReWire is for MIDI (sources) only?

If I am wrong (and I hope I am) is there something I am missing or is there a work-around?

I have a few other questions or observations regarding P5 v S7, but maybe for another time, unless someone would like to humor me. (e.g. transport controls, MIDI device recognition, and separate audio track for each MIDI track)

Thanks for your time and consideration (and sorry for the verbose explanation).

Take care,

tecknot

11 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/11 06:27:02 (permalink)
    I'm not a rewire expert, but I would think that as Sonar is the rewire master (and P5 the slave), that Sonar has taken any audio input devices for itself (in the same way it will have done for the audio outputs too) and therefore none are available to P5...all audio from P5 is going via Sonar's audio outputs and it would seem likely that the rewire protocol doesn't allow for inputs to be shared. I could also be totally off the mark, but it would seem logical
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/11 17:37:54 (permalink)
    I have a few other questions or observations regarding P5 v S7, but maybe for another time, unless someone would like to humor me. (e.g. transport controls, MIDI device recognition, and separate audio track for each MIDI track)

Sure, ask away.

I have Sonar HS 6 but the process should be the same.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    gwmatt
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/12 10:34:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tecknot
    My question is, is it a limitation of P5 or the ReWire protocol that does not allow me to record audio into P5 when ReWired into S7? I am hoping I can make simple loops from audio recorded "on the fly," if you will in P5 and dropping the recorded clips into the Grove Matrix for looping. (I do not usually use loops in my recording process, but for repeating drum patterns - nothing new there). So I created a S7 template (with P5 ReWired) only to find that I cannot add an audio input for an audio track in P5. So, making audio loops on the fly and dropping them into the Groove Matrix seems to be a no-go. Do I have this right, ReWire is for MIDI (sources) only?

I don't know the internals, but I'm fairly certain that Rewire cannot do what you want to do. Rewire was developed by Propellerheads, whose flagship product, Reason, has the same limitations you describe. It cannot record audio tracks (no "audio in"). It is strictly MIDI in -> Audio Out. Essentially, a Rewire slave device is treated much like a VSTi - a host application can send one or more MIDI streams to it and receive one or more audio streams from it.

There are some details about how it works at:

http://www.propellerheads.se/technologies/rewire/index.cfm?fuseaction=mainframe
    tecknot
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/13 00:27:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It does make sense that Rewire is intended for MIDI to audio. Sure wish P5 would let you insert an audio input though.

DayDrum,

As for the other questions... I noticed when I set a loop in P5 (in the Arrange pane, not using the Groove Matrix), SONAR follows P5 loop points. Is there any way to set the loop in P5 only and SONAR to continue in a linear fashion?

As for the observations, I noticed that P5's transport allows forward and backward jog, but SONAR has a fast-forward to the end of the project whereas P5 only allows rewind to the beginning. Is there a way to navigate the same way in both programs with out having to change the focus (SONAR to P5 and vice versa) just to take advantage of the unique transport controls?

There are two other things that get me when using P5 then going back to SONAR. The first is, and I know I'm not the first to touch on this, P5 allows MIDI tracks without the need for a corresponding audio track. In S7, even though it creates a track folder when inserting a softsynth, I still have to deal with twice as many tracks than I would in P5. Is there any real advantage to having both separate MIDI and audio tracks for the same purpose (playing a softsynth, etc.)? I'm pretty sure I can add an audio effect into a MIDI when in P5. If P5 doesn't need the corresponding audio track, why does SONAR. It's not like the audio track is actually capturing audio (it only gives you the waveform preview).

The other thing that frustrates me about SONAR that is much nicer in P5 is the availability of MIDI devices. In SONAR, if my MIDI controller and keyboards are not already on, they will not be recognized. So I have to shut down SONAR and then make sure all devices are on and then start up SONAR. In P5, I can still turn on any device afterwards and it still shows up in the available MIDI Input Device window after the fact.

Well, I think that's it, for now. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Take care,

tecknot
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/13 01:59:46 (permalink)
    "I noticed when I set a loop in P5 (in the Arrange pane, not using the Groove Matrix), SONAR follows P5 loop points. Is there any way to set the loop in P5 only and SONAR to continue in a linear fashion?"

I wasn't able to find a way. I hope Brock or Syrath can chime in here.

"I noticed that P5's transport allows forward and backward jog, but SONAR has a fast-forward to the end of the project whereas P5 only allows rewind to the beginning. Is there a way to navigate the same way in both programs with out having to change the focus (SONAR to P5 and vice versa) just to take advantage of the unique transport controls?"

I know ACT is a possible solution, but my brain would start hurting again.

"There are two other things that get me when using P5 then going back to SONAR. The first is, and I know I'm not the first to touch on this, P5 allows MIDI tracks without the need for a corresponding audio track."

I just don't get that about Sonar either. The claim is more flexibility, but it feels cumbersome. In P5, you just add something.
    I know a quick fix in Sonar is to make track folders of every softsynth you have, and add them in like you would in P5.
    You can also hide tracks in Sonar that you don't want to see. Create the illusion of the easier P5 workflow. Maybe.

Some of your observation are more "Sonar" than "Project5" and I agree with them. I feel like I make more mouse clicks in Sonar. More settings, more options, etc. even though Sonar is the more advanced program.
    Workflow matters.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    tecknot
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/13 23:23:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback, Dameon. I guess I can ask the same questions in the SONAR forum. Hope I don't get squashed.

Take care,

tecknot
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/14 09:21:18 (permalink)
    "I noticed when I set a loop in P5 (in the Arrange pane, not using the Groove Matrix), SONAR follows P5 loop points. Is there any way to set the loop in P5 only and SONAR to continue in a linear fashion?"

i don't think this can be done, as both apps are using the same transport

list of stuff
    ggarrow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/18 06:28:29 (permalink)
    Question.. Using re-wire can Sonar 7 record all the audio coming out of project 5 to seperate audio tracks at once? i.e. can I play the song once and have everything recorded into Sonar 7?
    post edited by ggarrow - 2008/05/18 06:30:02
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/18 07:04:25 (permalink)
    answer: yes it can

list of stuff
    badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/18 07:48:04 (permalink)
    yes!

and with virtual midi cables, such as Maple Virtual midi cable, you can record your MIDI coming from P5 into Sonar, if you want to keep the midi parts, and tweak the VSTs in Sonar some more.

beware of midi loops thouh (the output being fed into the input, just make sure the input isn't omni).
    ggarrow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Qs for P5 & S7 (via rewire) 2008/05/18 13:50:41 (permalink)
    thanks..
    I am assuming that I can use synths provided in sonar producer edition in p5 (pentagon, z3ta+,etc)..
    does anyone have any tips about installing sonar after p5? Will I have 2 instances of Dimension Lite for example. I Have Dimension and Dimension Lite just now but would like to try out the Garritan stuff provided in sonars dimension lite?
    post edited by ggarrow - 2008/05/18 14:10:36
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1