Muting track selection?

Author
docgorpon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2008/05/14 19:18:03 (permalink)

Muting track selection?

Probably an easy thing. But how do I mute a small selection of track? I know how to select a small portion. And how to mute the entire track. But for some reason I can't find how to mute just a small selected portion of track.

8 Replies Related Threads

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/14 19:24:00 (permalink)
    Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

It's easy enough to do with a volume envelope.

In Guitar Tracks 3, select the Edit View and split off the clip you want to mute.

Once selected, right click in the clip and select: Envelopes>Clip>Gain

This will insert a gain [volume] envelope line into the centre of your clip - this envelope can be dragged up to the top of the waveform or down to the bottom.

At the top it will boost the gain by 6dB, dragged down to the bottom it cuts the gain to -INF dB, or silence - this is what you're after I believe.

This screen shot shows the envelope line dragged down to create the -INF setting to mute the selected clip:

If you're using GT2 or GTPro2, the procedure is the same except the right click option is Envelope>Create Volume

Hope that helps

Steve
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/05/14 20:47:10

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

docgorpon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/14 21:58:32 (permalink)
    Killer. Thanks!
    zeypxun
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 918
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/14 22:36:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

It's easy enough to do with a volume envelope.

In Guitar Tracks 3, select the Edit View and split off the clip you want to mute.

Once selected, right click in the clip and select: Envelopes>Clip>Gain

This will insert a gain [volume] envelope line into the centre of your clip - this envelope can be dragged up to the top of the waveform or down to the bottom.

At the top it will boost the gain by 6dB, dragged down to the bottom it cuts the gain to -INF dB, or silence - this is what you're after I believe.

This screen shot shows the envelope line dragged down to create the -INF setting to mute the selected clip:

If you're using GT2 or GTPro2, the procedure is the same except the right click option is Envelope>Create Volume

Hope that helps

Steve

I was thinking there isn't a mute clip option and was gonna say this is what you could do too, but just to clarify, what Steve is saying is actually a clip gain envelope, not a volume envelope though they are almost exactly the same thing. But volume envelope options seem to be available in more menus and easier to find, but I think the clip gain is only in the clip right click menu. (Not trying to pick on you Steve, just thought it might help him out when he does it).

This is one thing I do like about Sonar better, it actually has a mute clip option.

Actually what i'm really trying to do is compete with Steve to see who posts the most helpful posts! lol!!

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/15 08:29:18 (permalink)

Hey Z, a Mute Clip option would be a good idea in GT - I agree.

The option is there to create a Mute-Track envelope though [Envelopes>Create Track Envelope>Automated Mute], but it applies to the whole track and not just a selected clip - to me it would make more sense to be able to mute a clip.

BTW, I do understand the difference between volume and gain but I admit I do use the terms rather indiscriminately, depending usually on which term GT uses and also which helps to explain the solution to such a question.

Zero gain is not the same as zero volume I guess.

Your post was helpful though

zeypxun
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/15 14:35:18 (permalink)

The option is there to create a Mute-Track envelope though [Envelopes>Create Track Envelope>Automated Mute], but it applies to the whole track and not just a selected clip - to me it would make more sense to be able to mute a clip.

BTW, I do understand the difference between volume and gain but I admit I do use the terms rather indiscriminately, depending usually on which term GT uses and also which helps to explain the solution to such a question.

Well I didn't so much want to explain the differences between the two (which I didn't even do) as much as just explain the difference between finding the two, because if you're looking for the volume envelope on a clip I think the volume envelope is there right away and then get confused when the whole track is enveloped, but you have to dig a little further for the clip gain, also I would like to attempt to see how long of a sentence I can write without ending it and making it look more like I know what I'm talking about when people look at such a long sentence, maybe they will think I use GTP3 so much that I don't need to even end my sentences at all, but keep using commas and such to keep it going for a good long time, as far as the eye can see!

whoops

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/15 16:14:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zeypxun

Well I didn't so much want to explain the differences between the two (which I didn't even do) as much as just explain the difference between finding the two, because if you're looking for the volume envelope on a clip I think the volume envelope is there right away and then get confused when the whole track is enveloped, but you have to dig a little further for the clip gain, also I would like to attempt to see how long of a sentence I can write without ending it and making it look more like I know what I'm talking about when people look at such a long sentence, maybe they will think I use GTP3 so much that I don't need to even end my sentences at all, but keep using commas and such to keep it going for a good long time, as far as the eye can see!

whoops

I see.

zeypxun
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/15 19:29:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zeypxun

whoops

I see.

Crap!

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Muting track selection? 2008/05/15 20:11:03 (permalink)
    Another way...the long way around the block..so to speak....is to insert another track. Split the original track at the beginning and ending of the "mute " points. move the clip to the new track. set the levels exactly the same for both tracks. When you listen to the playback you will not hear any thing other than the music playing.....then mute the track with the clip.....mission accomplished!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1