Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one?

Author
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2008/05/15 22:46:44 (permalink)

Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one?

OK. I just realised where the opening line "I'm in heaven" comes from in this song. I was under "extreme" inspiration from Louis Armstrong's cheek to cheek. Beyond the first line, the song comes into its own and is no longer outright plagiarism. Actually I like to think of it as tipping my hat to the master himself.

Anyway let me know if this is plagiarism. Also, the bane of my life- mixing. Any comments on the mix welcome. Song is "I'm in heave" @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=405294

15 Replies Related Threads

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/15 23:05:08 (permalink)
    When you quote and cite a source for any thing correctly, it is no longer plagerized. However, they may come after you for copyright infringement.

My guess is that Frank Sinatra owned the rights to this one and now it belongs to whomever he willed it to.

I doubt if anyone will hunt you down unless you start making money with it, then you spend years in the courts.

Good Luck

Ron

munmun
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/15 23:10:21 (permalink)
    I know that the opening line is identical but could they get me for the rest? I might have to change the words. The melody stays.
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/15 23:13:40 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry about it at all until you have made your first million or so for it. Then it might be worth while for them to come after you.

I am not a lawyer, so I am just guessing.

Ron
    munmun
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/15 23:19:34 (permalink)
    And the mix?
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/15 23:35:54 (permalink)
    I think that brass always sounds better with a little more reverb than everything else. So I like to sperate them and add some more there. Just on a sidenote you have a percussion piece that makes it sound like distortion that shouldn't be there. It happens only occasionally and may be distortion but I doubt it.

To my ears the rest of the mix works.

Ron
    Omnoproyet
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/16 01:29:04 (permalink)
    The mix is good to my ears. The vocals are very good, especially the pitch. However, the vibrato seems a little exagerated, nice
    but perhaps a little too much. Was there V-Vocal on them?

I agree with the other poster's comment on brass doing well with a bit more reverb.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/16 09:08:22 (permalink)
    Not bad....I don't know the original song so I can't comment on that.

On the mix...generally OK there's room for improvement... My recommendation, check into using sound fonts on the keyboards...the keys sound....midi....like canned music. With the guitars and everything else sounding pretty good when the keys come in they stick out... sound fonts will give them a more natural sound....real sampled sounds instead of the midi that you have now.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/16 11:19:36 (permalink)
    I liked this song Sunny. Sounds a bit like folk/rock genre. I thought it was well composed and played. Loved your vox and acoustic. Very enjoyable! BTW-If you end up doing jail-time, think of all the music you'll make.....

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    munmun
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/16 14:47:42 (permalink)
    When you say keys are you referring to the organ? I am using Organized Trio which is a free vst.

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Not bad....I don't know the original song so I can't comment on that.

On the mix...generally OK there's room for improvement... My recommendation, check into using sound fonts on the keyboards...the keys sound....midi....like canned music. With the guitars and everything else sounding pretty good when the keys come in they stick out... sound fonts will give them a more natural sound....real sampled sounds instead of the midi that you have now.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/16 17:22:24 (permalink)
    I'm getting more echoes, regarding the overall vibe, of George Harrison rather than Louis, George not being beyond fingers being pointed for plagiarism either.

As far as the mix goes a good test is to listen to the 'lo-fi' version and notice how much of the overall vibe of the song gets lost. I remember an engineer who used to wire the final mixes through the innerds of an old transistor radio to get an idea of what it would sound like on radio. I had some lovely reference speakers but if it didn't sound right through the radio he'd go back to his desk until it did.

Things like the top end there (12k+ hi-hats etc.) sound over boosted to me and a lot of the mid range sounds 'hollowed' out, the sort of frequency ranges that catch your ear when you hear a song wafting out of somebody's car radio and make you go wow, what a great song.

Having said that, I love this tune, the performance and the style and given how many songs evoke others I don't think this sails any closer to the plagiarism tag than many songs these days. And now you've got such a great track down tweaking it is the easy bit.

(btw If you want to hear plagiarism at it's best compare the middle section of Cat Steven's 'Matthew & Son' with Tears for Fears 'Mad World'...if they got away with that no one needs to worry!!!)

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/17 00:22:25 (permalink)
    I thought the song was a ton of fun. Even though you borrowed the melody that goes with the opening lines, I can't see plagiarism as an issue. I liked the guitars, percussion was solid, vocals were good, brass was a nice touch. Mix was good IMHO. Very enjoyable.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/18 07:50:49 (permalink)
    I keep coming back to this one...

I love this SONG.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/18 13:12:04 (permalink)
    I dunno how I missed this one for this long... sorry.

Outstanding. Love the vocal harmonies. Fantastic arrangement.

And as far as it goes, if I understand the laws correctly, music written prior to 1972 is now all out of copyright. Prior to 1972, copyrights were only 25 years in duration. Music (or arrangements) written after that are now subject to the 75 year copyright.

Jon - I will have to listen to "Matthew and Son". "Mad World" is among my favorite songs, and Cat Stevens among my favorite artists. I have to wonder now if my love for the song is due to my love of Cat Stevens music (not that it will diminish my enjoyment of either artist).

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/18 15:25:11 (permalink)
    I like the tune and overall mix. My personal taste is to have the vocals and bit more upfront. This a pleasant melody. The horns are arranged nicely and give it almost a salsa feel.

Good job.

Scott
    munmun
    RE: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one? 2008/05/19 20:53:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for all comments. Dont know what I would do without your support.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1