Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible?

Author
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
2008/05/16 01:20:54 (permalink)

Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible?

Can a Sonar 7 .cwb be opened using Sonar 5?

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)

27 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 02:02:27 (permalink)
    No, its not backwards compatable.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    21doors
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 02:10:50 (permalink)

That sucks. Are older versions of Sonar (S5, S6) backwards compatible?
    If not, maybe one could try saving as OMF?
    My bandmate has Sonar 5 and I'd like to send him my Sonar6 mixes.

Saintom
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1749
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 02:14:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jsaras

Yes, unless there is something specific to Sonar 7 Sonar 5 does not have.

Taken from the Sonar 7 read me

Backwards Compatibility

SONAR 7 can load projects from any previous versions of SONAR, but projects that are saved in SONAR 7 cannot be re-opened in SONAR 1.x or SONAR 2.x. In case you need to open a pre-SONAR 7 project in an earlier version of SONAR, it is recommended that you always create a backup copy of the original project before you re-save the project in SONAR 7.

Project files saved in SONAR 7 will not open in SONAR 4 if they reference or include any of the following types of data or information:

• 32-bit and 64-bit audio clips, including clips and tracks that have been frozen or rendered as 32-bit or 64-bit data.
    • Audio clips that are not all of the same bit depth

Project files saved in SONAR 7 will not open in SONAR 5 if they reference 64-bit audio clips.

SONAR 7 project files may contain new features that will be missing if opened in SONAR 5 and earlier, including:

• ACT current context
    • All AudioSnap data
    • Automation Read Enable States
    • Clip lock properties
    • “Preserve mix between gang members” setting
    • Synth Rack Assignable Controls
    • Synth Rack Automation

SONAR 7 project files may contain new features that will be missing if opened in SONAR 4, including:

• Clip effects and clip automation
    o Effects are removed
    o Automation envelopes are orphaned
    • Groups
    o SONAR 7 groups are preserved but will not be completely functional in SONAR 4
    o Controls may be removed from groups
    o Groups can’t be added to or changed
    o Group names will be truncated.
    o SONAR 4 may add extra groups to the project.

Re-saving a SONAR 7 project file in an older version may permanently remove the project data described above.

c'mon CJ help the guy don't lie to the guy

Tom

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
    jsaras
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 09:23:53 (permalink)
    Tom is on today's list of my favorite people :-)

Thanks,
    Jonas

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 11:59:43 (permalink)
    I've opened S7 projects in S5, but problems abound. The most likely issues are going to be missing plugins (e.g. Boost11, VC-64 and SD2) and unsupported features (e.g. sidechaining). In a few cases, automation envelopes won't work.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 12:01:27 (permalink)
    Thats why i said it isnt compatable. Compatable mean it will work 100%, atleast in my way of thinking. I dont tell lies, i may be wrong, but i dont lie
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Saintom
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 16:42:32 (permalink)
    Alright CJ, May be I was a little harsh in the lie comment, I was trying to be funny and blunt and call it how I see it in as few words as possible, to get the OP an answer to the question he asked.

To get into specifics the OP asked:

You said:
    No, its not backwards compatible.

And the way I see, it the answer is yes they can be "opened". Admittedly, not all of the newer features will be there, and how could they be? they are 2 completely different programs.

I happily retract the use of the word "lie" and change it for "Mislead"

HTH

Tom

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 18:26:51 (permalink)
    The way i see it, is that if it cant open everythnig in sonar 7, then no its not compatable in my book. The way i see it, your misleading the op. If its not 100% compatable, it isnt compatable by my standards. you may have lower standards, but to each its own.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Saintom
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 20:37:19 (permalink)
    You crack me up, Funny stuff man

Tom

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

The way i see it, is that if it cant open everythnig in sonar 7, then no its not compatable in my book. The way i see it, your misleading the op. If its not 100% compatable, it isnt compatable by my standards. you may have lower standards, but to each its own.
    Cj

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 21:07:00 (permalink)
    If thats the way you see, then im glad.... You do know im very stubborn...
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Saintom
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:12:02 (permalink)
    Of course I do. Thats why I thought it was funny.

I was correcting my self say you didn't lie, but you did not answer the OP correctly, he just want to open a project in a previous version and he can nothing was mentioned about compatibility.

See, I can be stubborn too, but it's easy when I am always right, Just ask me

Shouldn't you be hasslin' some one with a soundblaster, or out buying your new lady friend some shoes, rather than trying to mess with me

Tom

xavier onassis
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:24:27 (permalink)

Cj

it may not be backwards compatable, but it is backwards compatible. I've opened many a project from 7 in 6 and 5.

Have a good day.

People who are raised in meager circumstances and have to work for everything they acquire end up with much more than those to whom it is handed on a silver platter.
    We grow strong in our struggles.

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:38:06 (permalink)

Im biting my tongue and doing a great Gene Simmons impression.
    The OP never said what plugs he was using in version 7, so when there's an incomplete question, i answer ans assume he's using every plug-in and every new feature in versions 7 that isnt in version 5.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:39:24 (permalink)
    but it is backwards compatible. I've opened many a project from 7 in 6 and 5.

Thats because you didnt use plugins or new features, if you did, you would NOT be able to use them in 5 or 6
    Cj

Audio Blog
    xavier onassis
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:40:39 (permalink)

Im biting my tongue and doing a great Gene Simmons impression.
    The OP never said what plugs he was using in version 7, so when there's an incomplete question, i answer ans assume he's using every plug-in and every new feature in versions 7 that isnt in version 5.
    Cj

Why don't you just bite the bullet and say you were wrong? The question was can a Sonar 7 .cwb be opened in 5? The simple answer is yes and you said no.

People who are raised in meager circumstances and have to work for everything they acquire end up with much more than those to whom it is handed on a silver platter.

xavier onassis
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:42:23 (permalink)

but it is backwards compatible. I've opened many a project from 7 in 6 and 5.

Thats because you didnt use plugins or new features, if you did, you would NOT be able to use them in 5 or 6
    Cj

I always use the same plug-ins but none of those include Sonar native. I use Waves and UAD plug-ins mostly.

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:43:11 (permalink)
    Nope, aint gonna happen, because it isnt, if you use seven's features that arent in sonar 5.
    The simple anser isnt always the correct one, but i guess no one thinks outside the box. If i was to open a project that i made in sonar 7, it would not function correctly in sonar 5. So it is NOT compatable and you sir are wrong...
    Cj
    I always use the same plug-ins but none of those include Sonar native. I use Waves and UAD plug-ins mostly.

Well then, for you it is, for me its not. did the OP say what plugs and features he's using. No, so why are you assumming what he has
    Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/05/16 23:04:02

Audio Blog
    xavier onassis
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 22:50:18 (permalink)

Nope, aint gonna happen, because it isnt, if you use seven's features that arent in sonar 5.
    The simple anser isnt always the correct one, but i guess no one thinks outside the box. If i was to open a project that i made in sonar 7, it would not function correctly in sonar 5. So it is NOT compatable and you sir are wrong...
    Cj

Well then, for you it is, for me its not. did the OP say what plugs and features he's using. No, so why are you assumming what he has
    Cj

Not assuming anything. I know him. Why don't you just admit you were wrong in saying that it is not compatible (please note spelling as well). You simply did not answer the question properly. It's ok to be wrong sometimes. That's how you learn new things. (smile).

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 23:28:17 (permalink)
    your funny. spelling?? who are you?? Nevermind, i dont care
    Cj

Audio Blog
    xavier onassis
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 23:39:10 (permalink)
    sorry, you don't understand what I meant by spelling? I didn't understand your question.

CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 23:41:45 (permalink)
    No, i just dont care what you meant, theres a big difference. I guess you just dont understand. Im really sorry about that. Have a great night...
    Cj

Audio Blog
    xavier onassis
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 23:45:08 (permalink)

No, i just dont care what you meant, theres a big difference. I guess you just dont understand. Im really sorry about that. Have a great night...
    Cj

Why don't you care CJ? We are members of the same community. You kept spelling compatibility wrong so I pointed it out to you that's all. Didn't mean for it to become such a big deal.

michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 23:48:27 (permalink)

hey Jonas. How are you. Yes, it should work without a problem. Staying busy? Drop me a line.

Michael

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/16 23:58:57 (permalink)
    And now we go to our sponsor, GROADIC.com.............. heeeheheheheeeehehehehehehehehe! You guys both have yer **** together, in different ways, but share the knowledge, not the pain

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/17 00:08:07 (permalink)
    Why don't you care CJ? We are members of the same community. You kept spelling compatibility wrong so I pointed it out to you that's all. Didn't mean for it to become such a big deal.

If your gonna keep correcting my spelling, you better have allot of time on your hands. Im just goofing around, but i will tell you this, i think its very obnoxious when people correct my or other roomies spelling. It wasnt like you didnt know what i was writing. I could see if this was an english grammar forum and were aking questions on grammar, but were not, and thats ware i find it obnoxious.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    jsaras
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/17 12:47:16 (permalink)
    Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

xavier onassis
    RE: Sonar 7 bundles-backwards compatible? 2008/05/22 08:07:14 (permalink)

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

I'm sorry.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1