moving settings from project to project

Author
docgorpon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2008/05/16 05:22:04 (permalink)

moving settings from project to project

Is there any way to do this? I have one song in which I've tweaked the vocals to no end. No way I can remember all the things I did exactly in order to get the vocals in he next track to sound consistant with these. Ideas?

3 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: moving settings from project to project 2008/05/16 08:17:28 (permalink)
    If you like the settings, plug-ins etc on that particular proejct, save it as 'template' or something similar, and delete the actual audio within it. but leave the tracks set up. Then next time you start a new song, open 'template', and do a save as to call it the name of the new song.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: moving settings from project to project 2008/05/16 11:05:43 (permalink)
    Another thing that works for me is a I keep a log book of changes made during the recording and mixdown process. I notate what I have added, changed, the settings of plugins, routing etc. I know this is kind of hind sight but it might help you in the long run. This was pretty commonplace back 20 years ago when I was recording in a studio.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: moving settings from project to project 2008/05/16 15:54:45 (permalink)
    I work similarly to both James and Doc here.

Opening up from saved templates is exactly how I start most of my projects Sam - it's so nice to have all the pans set and the effects in the track strips and busses ready to go.

Just remember to choose 'Save As' and rename your template so you don't accidentally save an existing project with no audio in it - we've all done it Sam!!

Making notes is also a particularly good idea because you're bound to tweak your template on a project by project basis - it also helps with the other gear you're recording with - personally I make notes of the settings I use in my Line 6 gear along with the GT notes.

Steve

Edit for clarity
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/05/16 20:46:44

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1