How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel?

Author
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2008/05/16 15:29:48 (permalink)

How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel?

I have tried everything to give my songs the sort of sonic depth and certain sounds breadth and fatness the way ceratin members of this forum achieve with ease. Alas, ,my latest song was where I was determined to nail it but failed. The link is "I'm in heaven" @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=405294

I tried to use contrasting reverbs, etc but still other stuff on this forum sounds better. COuld someone tellme. If you had the raw tracks for this song, what would you do production wise to achieve the depth and fatness I am looking for? I am at my wits end with this.

22 Replies Related Threads

DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 17:12:06 (permalink)
    Hi munmun,

Based on your comments, I guessed as to what you might like. Is this more what you had in mind? It's hard to tell what folks are looking for these days!

Here

You may want to replace some of the orchestral sounds when you have a chance or combine them with other sounds.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

PS Sorry about the crash at the beginning; forgot to empty the buffers....

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 17:22:47 (permalink)
    When you hear a song with the "sound" you are looking for..simply PM or ask in the forum to that person and ask them about their rig, settings, etc.... most are kind enough to reply and share....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 17:29:49 (permalink)
    You're being hypercritical of yourself. That mix ain't bad at all!

I'd bring the hats down a bit, vocals up a smidgin in a few places, bring up the acoustic solo, and add just a little more compression overall.

Also look at volume automation envelopes as a way to bring different elements up. For example, you've got a nice little guitar lick happening between verse phrases that could jump up 1 or 2db just briefly, between vocal phrases. The idea is not to leave any halfway holes - either make a big, obvious hole for dramatic effect, or make sure something pops up to fill in all the little holes. This is one of the reasons compression helps, because it automatically smooths those potholes. But if you can achieve it with envelopes it'll sound better than relying entirely on a dumb effect to do it for you.

I can't claim to be one of those people who "achieve [fatness] with ease". Maybe somebody's got a golden bullet the'll share, but I haven't found it yet!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 18:06:38 (permalink)
    Nice thread and replies:

1) While panning certainly increases 3D, Izotope seems to recommend no hyper-panning during stereo mastering ... that the majority of frequencies should bounce up and down near the 'center' (not mono)
    2) For awesome vox richness I enjoy Voxengo Voxformer (for the lead voxes only).

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 19:24:19 (permalink)
    You'll never get that 3D feel unless you put some bagpipes in the mix... give Janet a holler.
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 20:08:34 (permalink)
    bilbosblues
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 20:57:28 (permalink)
    if you bite into a peanut butter sandwich at the precise moment you hit the export button
    boom, that is are secret
    there you have it
    Chinchen
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 21:49:52 (permalink)
    That totally did not work.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 22:01:12 (permalink)
    you must have missed the correct 'exact' moment! It's got to be down to the millisecond correct or you'll blow it and the mix will sound like so much peanut butter!

Sorry, Sunny...just foolin around on your thread....I'll go away now.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/16 22:49:06 (permalink)
    The more you record and mix the better you will become at it.....patience and practice.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    munmun
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/19 21:00:45 (permalink)
    Interesting. Did you just add more reverb? Thanks for trying.
    ORIGINAL: DaveClark

Hi munmun,

Based on your comments, I guessed as to what you might like. Is this more what you had in mind? It's hard to tell what folks are looking for these days!

Here

You may want to replace some of the orchestral sounds when you have a chance or combine them with other sounds.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

PS Sorry about the crash at the beginning; forgot to empty the buffers....

munmun
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/19 21:01:49 (permalink)
    Great suggestion. I will do just that. I have completed my 13th song and now have to do a second pass to really tighten up mixing. This is where I get sweaty palms and sleepless nights.
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

When you hear a song with the "sound" you are looking for..simply PM or ask in the forum to that person and ask them about their rig, settings, etc.... most are kind enough to reply and share....

munmun
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/19 21:02:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

You're being hypercritical of yourself. That mix ain't bad at all!

I'd bring the hats down a bit, vocals up a smidgin in a few places, bring up the acoustic solo, and add just a little more compression overall.

Also look at volume automation envelopes as a way to bring different elements up. For example, you've got a nice little guitar lick happening between verse phrases that could jump up 1 or 2db just briefly, between vocal phrases. The idea is not to leave any halfway holes - either make a big, obvious hole for dramatic effect, or make sure something pops up to fill in all the little holes. This is one of the reasons compression helps, because it automatically smooths those potholes. But if you can achieve it with envelopes it'll sound better than relying entirely on a dumb effect to do it for you.

I can't claim to be one of those people who "achieve [fatness] with ease". Maybe somebody's got a golden bullet the'll share, but I haven't found it yet!

Thank you. Very kind. Being constantly criticized as a kid growing up, I am rarely kind on myself.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 02:13:38 (permalink)
    Very kind. Being constantly criticized as a kid growing up, I am rarely kind on myself.

Before you know it you'll be doing the criticizing, and the transition is usually rather fast.

Best thing for me is to keep a track at hand from a really well done CD for reference. If you listen to one mix for too long, after a while everything sounds OK - until you check it again against the desired end-result. It's quite a shock in the beginning.

Ear-fatigue is deadly. Take a break, work on a different song, or take a walk. Listen again the next morning with fresh ears. Simple things like that work wonders, strangely.

Don't cram your mixes, make it sound acceptable with only a few instruments. 2 full orchestras cannot save a basically unworkable tune.

post edited by Roflcopter - 2008/05/20 02:33:08

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 03:00:56 (permalink)
    an easy way to that fat 3d sound is simply throwing stereo wideners (M/S matrixing) and using small channel delays to induce the haas effect on every track and tweaking until it isn't necessarily overdone but sounds natural while adding depth...it takes some experimentation.

I'd also try some convolution reverb, subtle compression with a really decent track compressor (voxengo's crunchessor is excellent), and tube fattening (warm distortion - firegain is great for that).
    apell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 03:16:31 (permalink)
    I agree with Rolfcopter in terms of mixing while referring to CD of well produced music. Try and find a track with a similar sound / feel and instrumentation to your song. Listen to how the basic elements of the mix sound in tone and level including the kick, snare, bass and guitars.

With the track I would go back and get the drums and bass as clear and punchy as possible. This can be done by applying some compression to the individual drums (e.g. kick and snare). Just be careful not to over compress as the sound can pump or suck and loose all dynamics.

Once the drums and bass sound good add the main guitar parts and get them sounding balanced again using a slight amount of compression if necessary. Add each element of the mix doing the same all the while referring to your CD of similar sounding music.

Anthony Pell. (APELL)
    "Wild & Completely Unbridled Electronica" - inthemix.com.au
    www.apellmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/apellmusic
    www.youtube.com/apellmusic
    Roflcopter
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 03:54:43 (permalink)
    Yes, start with drums and bass, and keep them punchy at all times. It's the other instruments you *add* that do the muddying, so if you take immediate measures with your EQ'ing to keep things tight, it's WAY better than trying to pump through several layers of sonic mud later on, using all sorts of exciters and phattenizers. No need.

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 12:44:26 (permalink)
    Yes, keep at it... follow all of the tips given (especially the peanut butter and bagpipes) and before you know it your mixes will be 20 to 40% more 3-D!
    Roflcopter
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 16:43:57 (permalink)
    and before you know it your mixes will be 20 to 40% more 3-D

3.1415926535...-D, to be a bit more precise, and the peanut-butter had better come from Haiti, for obvious reasons.

munmun
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/20 20:16:47 (permalink)
    Please. In my already confused state I might take this peanut butter stuff seriously and get my keyboard sticky trying to nail the perfect mix,
    ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

and before you know it your mixes will be 20 to 40% more 3-D

3.1415926535...-D, to be a bit more precise, and the peanut-butter had better come from Haiti, for obvious reasons.

DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/21 03:00:46 (permalink)
    Hi munmun,

ORIGINAL: munmun

Not exactly. Of course, with only the final clip, I cannot do too much. I cut out the really low stuff, added a little emphasis at 3 kHz or somewhere around there (not on that machine at the moment --- sorry), went through Perfect Space with some IR's I calculated to simulate a concert hall and X-Y coincident pair microphone (actually misusing them somewhat --- a long story), then went to the Sonitus multiband compressor (vintange medium, I think).

As Dave (bitflipper) said, it was already pretty good. But I think I understand your wanting a little more out of it, so I was mostly trying to determine what exactly you where you wanted to end up. So basically I made something I liked that matched your description, or what I thought you were saying.

Was that kinda sorta what you had in mind, or totally wrong?

Regards,
    Dave Clark

munmun
    RE: How do I give my songs and sounds that fat 3D feel? 2008/05/21 06:58:22 (permalink)
    Close. Not sure if I prefer it. It is just a different take on the production. Actually I have been listening to all kinds of other mixes in the songs section. I am starting to realise that the mix isnt terrible. Needs some work on the low end and then I might be there. Thanks for the help.
    ORIGINAL: DaveClark

Hi munmun,

ORIGINAL: munmun

Not exactly. Of course, with only the final clip, I cannot do too much. I cut out the really low stuff, added a little emphasis at 3 kHz or somewhere around there (not on that machine at the moment --- sorry), went through Perfect Space with some IR's I calculated to simulate a concert hall and X-Y coincident pair microphone (actually misusing them somewhat --- a long story), then went to the Sonitus multiband compressor (vintange medium, I think).

As Dave (bitflipper) said, it was already pretty good. But I think I understand your wanting a little more out of it, so I was mostly trying to determine what exactly you where you wanted to end up. So basically I made something I liked that matched your description, or what I thought you were saying.

Was that kinda sorta what you had in mind, or totally wrong?

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1