Room Treatment

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2008/05/17 16:25:08 (permalink)

Room Treatment

Hey,

I'm sure there are many folks here like me who are using spare bedrooms in their homes with typical carpeting, sheetrock walls and maybe a couch as their recording and mixing environments.

I'm wondering what you have done with these spaces with acoustic treatment that has had a significant positive effect on your recordings and mixes?

Thanks.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

23 Replies Related Threads

Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 16:31:11 (permalink)
    I'm sure the first thing people will mention is bass traps! A typical sized bedroom should have a minimum of 8 traps.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 16:57:36 (permalink)
    Since everybody else will mention bass traps, I'll suggest something different: ceiling clouds, hung midway between your monitors and your ears, suspended 2 to 4 inches from the ceiling and comprised of 2 or 3 inches of 703. Everyone addresses flutter echoes off the side walls, while forgetting that the ceiling is may actually be the closest boundary.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Dave King
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 17:05:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, I guess the ceiling is a factor as well. In my case, I have a vaulted ceiling. The high portion is over my mixing area. It's flat for about 3' and then slopes back from there going from approximately 12' to 8' in height. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing in regard to acoustics.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 17:24:03 (permalink)
    Another active thread on the subject:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1385216

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 17:25:20 (permalink)
    I've got 12" of 703 over my head. I was getting significant interference from the ceiling reflections, and though that's a lot of trappage up there, it was one of the largest contributors. In that other thread, I mention some measurement hardware you might want to get.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Dave King
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 17:57:33 (permalink)
    droddey - yes I've seen photos of your setup that you posted.

The first acoustic problem I want to address is that it seems I am getting resonances in the upper mid freqs when recording that are bad. I only record vocals and acoustic guitar live. Everything else is done either in the box or DI'd. Would bass traps be effective at addressing this problem or would I be better off going with Ethan's Portable Vocal Booth?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

droddey
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 19:14:34 (permalink)
    You would want to fix the room for mixing purposes generally. It may or may not make it a better recording room. It'll make it generally a bit deader sounding. But, if the room isn't that great, that's not so bad a deal. Go ahead and pimp it out with plenty bass traps go get it sounding right for mixing. Close mic and use artificial reverb where you need ambience, and just try to remove the room from the equation as much as possible.

I don't think that it would have much to do with upper mid type frequencies though, so you may not really be needing bass trappage if all you are doing is vocals and accoustic, though according to how it's recorded the accoustic can have some fairly strong low frequency content.

Put a frequency analyzer plug on the accoustic track and see what it looks like. Do you have any big peaks anywhere or is it reaonably flat and falling off on low and high end?

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    bitflipper
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 20:16:31 (permalink)
    Yeah, I guess the ceiling is a factor as well. In my case, I have a vaulted ceiling. The high portion is over my mixing area. It's flat for about 3' and then slopes back from there going from approximately 12' to 8' in height. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing in regard to acoustics.

High ceilings are definitely a good thing. Sloped ceilings are not necessarily a problem, they just make it next to impossible to calculate modes. Use the average height when calculating resonant frequencies. You'll definitely want a good bass trap at the back of the room where the ceiling meets the wall. If you have a choice, position your desk so your back is to the higher portion of the room. And sloped ceilings are just as problematic for flutter echoes as flat ceilings, plus they make it a little harder to predict the exact best position for your clouds. Just put in some big ones to save having to try different positions. You can't really have too much up there, right Dean?

My Stuff
    droddey
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 21:05:30 (permalink)
    The thing I've been doing is, when I get in a new bunch of traps, I set up the measurement stuff, and start stacking the new ones on top of the existing ones, to see if the problem is not enough in a particular position. For the ceiling it's hard because I have to hold it up there during the measurement which is rough on the arms. But when you are dealing with stuff below 100Hz, it can take a lot o' trappage to handle a wicked reflection, so it can take a lot sometimes. I hugely smoothed out my response with the last batch when I doubled up 2 6" ones on ceiling and 10" worth behind the speakers. Clearly these were big contributors. And I dont' stack up a little, because I want to know for sure if there's any difference in a given position, so throwing a new 6" there or two of them, in addition to what's there, should make some sort of clealrly measurable difference if there is any to be had at that position anymore, even for really low frequency problems.

It's boring and you'll be stone deaf from sitting in the room with the measurement tones for hours, but with enough trial and error you can generally find the problem spots. So far, I've not been able to get any measurable difference with traps at the back of the room. So it just doesn't seem like I'm getting much from there. The shape of the room means that the rear corners cannot reflect back to me, so it could only be directly off the back wall or from the wall/ceiling corner back there. But I've tested with a fair amount of traps back there and never saw any difference. I'll give it another go with the next batch comes in next week and see what happens.

My big problem remains this seemingly intractable cancellation at the 65 to 75'ish range. I'm going to get that guy taken care of one way or another, if I have to fill the whole freaking room with 703 and mix from the next room through RDP.
    post edited by droddey - 2008/05/17 21:27:03

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 22:32:01 (permalink)
    What effect does storing guitars have on a small studio? I have 9 guitars on stands and their cases leaning against the walls.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 23:03:45 (permalink)
    You spend so much time tuning and restringing the guitars that you don't have time to worry about the other stuff.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    bitflipper
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/17 23:41:23 (permalink)
    If they're acoustic guitars you might actually hear them resonate at certain frequencies. Same thing can happen if you have guitar or bass cabs in the room. Slowly run a swept sine up the entire audio range and listen for what starts to hum in the room. Lots of things buzz, rattle and resonate. You never see guitars hanging up in a mastering room.

My Stuff
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 08:12:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jamz0r
    I'm sure the first thing people will mention is bass traps! A typical sized bedroom should have a minimum of 8 traps.

I'm pretty sure you are right about the first thing people will mention... what I really want to know is why?

Why does everyone assume, without any information, that a small space requires bass traps?

One of the most well behaved control rooms I've ever worked in was barely big enough to the gear and two people. I haven't been there in years, so these are estimates based on my memory, but the rough dimensions were probably about 16 feet wide, 7 feet high, and 10 (at most) feet deep. Not a big room at all, and very little absorption added, and no diffusion (cause it would not have worked!)

The room geometry and the placement of the equipment and people took care of all the acoustical issues.

Anything mixed there translated to the rest of the world with no problems. I loved that studio!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    bitflipper
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 12:33:38 (permalink)
    You can actually have fewer problems in a tiny room. It's because the resonant frequencies rise as the room dimensions shrink. You still have resonances, but they're at higher frequencies. The higher the frequency, the more likely that various stuff in the room will dampen it, including human bodies. But, like the OP, most of us are in bedroom-size spaces, with resonances starting around 50-60Hz or so. If we were in drastically larger or drastically smaller spaces, the problems we'd face would be entirely different.

My Stuff
    wst3
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 14:59:38 (permalink)
    Indeed, if the room is sufficiently small the resonances are moved up, but then you also lose support for lower frequencies, so like everything else it's a trade-off!

I'd extend your first sentence to say something to the effect that you can actually have fewer problems in a well designed space<G>...

Bill

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

You can actually have fewer problems in a tiny room. It's because the resonant frequencies rise as the room dimensions shrink. You still have resonances, but they're at higher frequencies. The higher the frequency, the more likely that various stuff in the room will dampen it, including human bodies. But, like the OP, most of us are in bedroom-size spaces, with resonances starting around 50-60Hz or so. If we were in drastically larger or drastically smaller spaces, the problems we'd face would be entirely different.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 17:26:49 (permalink)
    I've got 12 really nice traps and "intelligent" monitors and I'm still getting a bad dip around 60-70 Hz. My room is about 12X13X8, sheetrock, 2nd floor in wood frame house. Mixes are traveling really badly at the moment which is frustrating as hell and totally saps my motivation. I really think I got better mixes about 16 years ago when I had two little Roland 3" monitors and headphones. It may have been purely by accident, but that's how I feel at the moment.

If I mix in the room, bass is usually mixed WAY too loud when played on other systems or through headphones. When I correct on the headphones, then the room mix sounds awful, depending on where you stand of course.

I'm just about ready to try doing everything on headphones just to see what happens.
    post edited by doncolga - 2008/05/18 17:48:06

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    droddey
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 17:34:40 (permalink)
    The traps are only intended to make it sound right at the mixing position, so anywhere else in the room is a crap shoot and probably won't sound right. For a dip in the 60 to 70 range, you are going to have to find the location that is contributing to that cancellation and pile up a lot of trappage there. A 4" trap isn't enough to get down that low.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    wst3
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 20:55:05 (permalink)
    Not to be picky...
    ORIGINAL: droddey
    The traps are only intended to make it sound right at the mixing position, so anywhere else in the room is a crap shoot and probably won't sound right.

Traps are intended to dissipate energy. Broadband traps dissipate energy across a wide portion of the spectrum, tuned traps dissipate energy in a smaller portion of the spectrum. A properly trapped room will have reasonably well behaved frequency response throughout the space, but in an acoustically small space there will still be problem spots.

It is theoretically possible to have a sufficient quantity of traps so that there are no bad spots... but this is one of those times when theory and practice aren't always on the same page<G>!

ORIGINAL: droddey
    For a dip in the 60 to 70 range, you are going to have to find the location that is contributing to that cancellation and pile up a lot of trappage there. A 4" trap isn't enough to get down that low.

There probably is not one location that is contributing to the cancellation. The cancellation in the 60Hz-70Hz range is almost certainly due to either the room dimensions or the room geometry or the placement of the speakers and/or listener.

I can't tell you, without a LOT more information, how to fix your problem, but I can suggest that you look at your listening position and the speaker location first, as relocating them that is probably going to provide the best and least expensive solution (I say probably because I don't know how your room is arranged or how flexible that arrangement is.)

FWIW, I've been in some pretty horrible sounding studios, and not just personal studios, and in most cases the solutions to the problems did not cost a lot of money.

The worst, and I couldn't make this up if I tried, was a studio that copied an LEDE(tm) arrangement out of a trade magazine picture, except that they rotated it 90 degrees, so that the live end was to the left and the dead end was to the right, and much to their surprise nothing that they mixed in that room sounded good anywhere else. In fact, it didn't sound all that good there!!!

Oh, and then there is the trick of learning your monitoring environment... but that's fodder for another thread...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    doncolga
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/18 23:00:32 (permalink)
    Ok...this is unorthodoxed, but I rotated everything so that I'm back against a corner. Before, there were some crazy peaks in the low bass that COMPLETELY smoothed out, especially with the sub off, but the bass is still alot smoother than before, even with the sub on. I dropped the crossover point on the sub and that helped too. The problem is that once I get to the mids, the levels almost double or more, and stay that way. So even though bass is smoother, it's response is way too low relative to everything else. You can really hear it too. 808 style kick drums are very thin and have no meat or thump, even with sub on.

I think it's the square room. This will be a bit of a hassle but I'm going to move my stuff into a larger rectangular room and see what happens there.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    doncolga
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/19 00:49:00 (permalink)
    I just stuck the sub totally in a corner and put the mix position back to a more conventional location. I'll be damned... I just got the flattest room response I've EVER gotten before using Ethan's Sonar test. Hurray! I've got a little dip in the high 200's, but the bass it WAY smoother, deep and warm now at the mix position. It's pretty darn smooth from 50-250. I'll see how it translates soon. Playing commercial stuff from here at least, mine seems to be comparing really well right now. More importantly, my previous mixes sound off, which is good.
    post edited by doncolga - 2008/05/19 01:09:24

droddey
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/19 00:55:58 (permalink)
    Traps are intended to dissipate energy. Broadband traps dissipate energy across a wide portion of the spectrum, tuned traps dissipate energy in a smaller portion of the spectrum. A properly trapped room will have reasonably well behaved frequency response throughout the space, but in an acoustically small space there will still be problem spots.

Sure, I assumed that everyone understood that I meant "the reasonable number of traps that we can afford are generally placed such that...." The standard placements are relative to the listening position and generally you are trying to optimize that position.

There probably is not one location that is contributing to the cancellation. The cancellation in the 60Hz-70Hz range is almost certainly due to either the room dimensions or the room geometry or the placement of the speakers and/or listener.

I mean where the reflections are coming from that are contributing to this particular cancellation. I've done enough testing to know by now that most of the peaks and cancellations have primarily been related to a reflection off of a given surface, or symmetrical surfiaces (left/right walls, ceiling/floor.) I've stacked up extra traps in specific locations and re-measured and I can see where the biggest contributions are coming from for a given peak or dip usually. This particular one may be a combination of one or more particularly bad reflections, or it may be strongly created by one or two of the corners/surfaces that I've not yet got a thick enough coverage to deal with an issue at that low a frequency. The 4" thick ones won't do anything at that frequency.

So I'll be experimenting when the latest batch of bags actually arrive, to see if I can find out where that particular issue is coming from. It's in there somewhere, so it's just a matter of finding who is reflecting back at me at that frequency and taking care of that reflection (or those reflections.)

My current guess is the corners behind the speakers. I only have 4" thick ones there top to bottom. My first experiment is going to be to stack up 6" ones in front of the 4" ones that are there and see what that gets me. If I get a significant decrease, I'll know. If not, then I'll start looking elsewhere. So basically I just take the new ones and move them around to thicken up various locations and see what the measured result is. If yo put 6 or 12" of trappage in a particular place, that's enough to definitely see a measured change if that particular corner or wall is a contributor to a problem.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    droddey
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/19 00:59:06 (permalink)
    I just stuck the sub totally in a corner and put the mix position back to a more conventional location. I'll be damned... I

The corner is where the sub will excite the most room modes, so it's a common starting place. But it also can be a proble if that means it's now substantially further away from you than the speakers, which it usually does. You may have issues with arrival times so that they are out of sync slightly. That's probably a fairly small price to pay relative to huge peaks and dips, but something to consider.

The easiest way to find a good place is get the sub up about where your head would be, then run the tests and move the measurement mic around. They problems are symmetrical, so if you can put the sub where you are, then if you find a spot where it's flat, then it should work the same the other way.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    doncolga
    RE: Room Treatment 2008/05/19 09:24:30 (permalink)
    I don't have any clouds right now, so I'm going to be trapping up there, hopefully tonight, and adjusting HF absorption on the walls a little bit. I'm really surprised though the difference subwoofer placement has made. Initial testing for improved portability are turning out really good. I had only one song out of about five that was off, and on that one the bass guitar was too low. On one other it was just a hair too loud. I didn't have any high pass filtering going on at all, so I think that will help some more too for better portability.

In summary, for those adding a sub, try a corner first and then test your room response. I'll be posting my graphs later today. They were really flat on my last measurement, so I'm hoping after these tweaks it will be even better.

Next project to take on is an air conditioner. It's GOT to be at least 85 in the room after gear has been running.
    post edited by doncolga - 2008/05/19 09:54:11

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1