Best compressors for Sonar?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
homeless
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/21 21:19:18 (permalink)
the 'best' compressor isn't necessarily the cleanest or the one with most functionality, etc. sometimes the best compressor is one that's a bit weird or a bit dirty or has some bizarre function no one else thought of... and sometimes they're all free....
http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=4
21doors
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 04:17:54 (permalink)
honestly, I don't get how a compressor has a 'sound'. It turns the volume down, and lets it turn back up.
I guess transformer balanced analog compressors would consist of very slight induced harmonic distortion, or maybe the line amp circuitry could color the sound. If you don't care about dynamic control, wouldn't you get the same coloring action from an analog preamp?
VC-64 is great, but is really a chain of dymanic modules +EQ's, with many different routing configurations. I'm glad we have it!
21doors
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 04:22:53 (permalink)
the 'best' compressor isn't necessarily the cleanest or the one with most functionality, etc. sometimes the best compressor is one that's a bit weird or a bit dirty or has some bizarre function no one else thought of... and sometimes they're all free....

looks cool... anyone tried these? any hidden spyware/viruses?
KenJr
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 05:21:16 (permalink)
honestly, I don't get how a compressor has a 'sound'. It turns the volume down, and lets it turn back up.

How many different compressors have you used? Certainly most hardware units have a very unique 'sound'. The 1176's, LA-2A, LA-3A, Distressor, etc... I use a number of VST compressors with Sonar and each of them have their own 'sound'.

Often times when you are producing you are looking for units like these that help create the sound that you are looking for. Yes, these units all handle basic 'compression' but because of their unique components, circuitry, tube or solid state they impart a unique sound to the signal that passes through it.

My Gear/Studio Pics
My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
artsoul
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1985
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 06:01:10 (permalink)
Focusrite Liquidmix----no question
21doors
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 13:16:05 (permalink)
How many different compressors have you used? Certainly most hardware units have a very unique 'sound'. The 1176's, LA-2A, LA-3A, Distressor, etc... I use a number of VST compressors with Sonar and each of them have their own 'sound'.

Often times when you are producing you are looking for units like these that help create the sound that you are looking for. Yes, these units all handle basic 'compression' but because of their unique components, circuitry, tube or solid state they impart a unique sound to the signal that passes through it.

I guess they do have different sounds, and some seem to be a little more trustwothy than others...
What I don't get is the compressors you've named have been around for a long long time, in use with the top people in the biz. But when I listen to anything from the 80's and 90's, I can get any of those compressor sounds with the Sonitus Compressor, and maybe the de-essor in VC-64. Even a behringer compressor does a good job for many things (though it is not as adjustable as a Sonitus).
The 'modern' vocal sound is a little trickier...around the advent of autotune, vocals started to sound different. Did people change the way they used the old compressors?
And when I see pro's say they don't really compress with them, they just use them for color... well wouldn't that sound the same as it did in 1984? Somewhere in that decade should be a super example of a 'modern' vocal, and it just doesn't happen.
Maybe its all psychological... if you don't use your trusted peice, then you are doing something wrong.
Now, on the other hand, tape compression is something totally different, and is easily recognizable.
post edited by 21doors - 2008/05/22 13:52:26
Arglebargle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 13:58:38 (permalink)
tbh I find the Sonitus compressor works perfectly for me, and I don't feel the need for another one.

homeless
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 14:18:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 21doors

looks cool... anyone tried these? any hidden spyware/viruses?

these are NOT warez, they're FREEWARE. if any freeware had a virus, it would be instantly discovered and outted and not hosted on gersic.com ...people really follow these releases closely.

another VST website, besides gersic.com, is rekkerd.org ...but rekkerd is a blog of both payware and freeware new releases, and it even hosts some freeware downloads.

also kvraudio.com has a forum where software makers often post links to their own freeware
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 17:51:41 (permalink)
A little off topic, but while we're on compressors ...

I had a synth song that I was trying to compress/limit to bring it up for CD matching. In the native, it was fine, but after I compressed it, there was one part of one synth sound that ended up scratchy and plain annoying. Everything I tried (Sonar stuff, Voxengo, Nomad) had the same effect on this upper register. I finally tried Voxengo's Soniformer, which is 32 (?) band compression and overdid the "tape compression" preset. This let me squash some of the mid-highs before opening the high frequecies back up. It turned out perfect - dulling the scratchy part of the synth sound without loosing too much of the upper highs.

I might have been able to do the same with another multiband compressor or use EQ, etc. But this worked quickly and easily. So, sometimes it is the tool - it is nice to have a variety for just these situations, tho I usually stay within Cake's line unless I have a reason.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Noah330
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 587
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 20:05:58 (permalink)
I have a UAD-1 but I have to say, I'm equally impressed with the LiquidMix from Focusrite. It doesn't have the cool GUI that the UAD-1 has but it sounds great. Plus emulations and updates are free.
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 21:55:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

A little off topic, but while we're on compressors ...

I had a synth song that I was trying to compress/limit to bring it up for CD matching. In the native, it was fine, but after I compressed it, there was one part of one synth sound that ended up scratchy and plain annoying. Everything I tried (Sonar stuff, Voxengo, Nomad) had the same effect on this upper register. I finally tried Voxengo's Soniformer, which is 32 (?) band compression and overdid the "tape compression" preset. This let me squash some of the mid-highs before opening the high frequecies back up. It turned out perfect - dulling the scratchy part of the synth sound without loosing too much of the upper highs.

I might have been able to do the same with another multiband compressor or use EQ, etc. But this worked quickly and easily. So, sometimes it is the tool - it is nice to have a variety for just these situations, tho I usually stay within Cake's line unless I have a reason.

I don't think you're off topic. You speak to heart of the matter of a question asked early in the thread -- of what kind of compressor are we speaking?

Soniformer is an excellent mastering compressor, and what I mean by the term "mastering compressor" is that helps give shape to the sound of your mix. I think many of the Voxengo products are innovative and quite unique in the things they do for my music. Another of Alex's "compressors", HarmoniEQ, I use on most tracks because of the predictably-unpredictable musical qualities it gives to each instrument's timber. (I enjoyed writing that). This plugin really listens closely to the source material and based on the inputs, generates or attenuates harmonics that are present in the tone. At the risk of sounding like ad copy, this effect adds nuance to music certain kinds of music that one would normally associate with a modulation effect rather than an EQ/Compressor combination.

There are so many excellent tools DSP tools available -- many for free -- which is why when someone asks "What's the best so-and-so" without stating their goal, the question has little meaning to someone like yourself who has this kind of insight into practical use for these great tools.

Or maybe most folks just want to know what plugin to use so their tune sounds as loud as the other 100-odd tunes they hear on the FM radio. Someone told them it was a compressor.

--kwgm
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/22 23:20:44 (permalink)
Often times I experiment with this compressor or that one or even another then finally I settle with nothing at all which is usually the best sound of them all. What I mean is that to use an effect judiciously is to use as little of it as possible. I read a lot of threads and sometimes people seem to think that you have to use this effect or that process. In the end its what sounds good to your ear that's important and if you want to sell your music or at least have it be enjoyed by others you need to develop some sense of what it is that others enjoy in music.

Less is more and while its great to have a big kit bag full of tricks, the less of them you use the better off you'll be. If you have to do so much to the music then you really haven't got a good take in the first place. Give every sound its own space (gentle eq use per channel will get you there) and you soon wont need all the jiggery pokery.

Its all about art meets technology.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
AT
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/23 00:35:12 (permalink)
kwgm,

no, it wasn't off topic, but more onto the orginal posters question. Like we often due, the thread wondered. If the orginal poster is still reading, I thought he might like an example of how a specific tool can work where others didn't.

And yea, I'm impressed with Voxengo - some of the best bang for buck out there. I esp. love Elephant for master limiting - it seems to open up a mix while still making it louder, instead of conjesting things.

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/23 00:47:04 (permalink)
Hi AT.

Alex, the principal over there, is something of a genius with this stuff. I own quite a few of his products. Soniformer, as you mentioned is a favorite. So are the two EQs, HarmoniEQ and GlissEQ, for different reasons, but both enhance the overtone series. These are both goto effects on my DAW, that I use for every project. I don't own Elephant, but thanks for the recommendation. I've been using looking for a replacement for my TC/Sonnox plugins, which are no longer supported. They're great, and I paid a relatively high price for these a few years ago, but their lifetime is limited (hah! An unintended pun.)

Have a great evening. Getting to be about bed time for me.

--kwgm
AT
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/23 10:02:51 (permalink)
kwgm,

HIs CurveEQ is really nice, too. The Marquis comp is a great all-arounder. And Alex does do nice work on the rest of his stuff I've used. They are a good suppliment to SONAR Pro stuff. And Sonar users shouldn't forget their convolution reverb is a version of his Pristine space. If Cake didn't already have the Sonnitus suite they could make beautiful music together.

@

paulx
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/23 10:32:32 (permalink)
Focusrite Liquidmix
Focusrite and waves YAY! Focusrite EQ also!
kingo
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 260
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/23 13:01:46 (permalink)
So many VST's....

...so little time!
Firechild
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Best compressors for Sonar? 2008/05/23 17:36:14 (permalink)
I vote for the UAD1 1176 compressor and Duende PCIe Channelstrip compressor.

ASUS P5K,Intel CPU Q6600 (quad 2.4 Ghz ), 4GB ram,Sonar PE 7.0.2, Windows XP pro SP2, 2 UAD1 cards,PCIe Firewirecard,MOTU 896HD,MOTU 8pre,Emagic AMT8,BenchmarkADC1,PoCo Firewire
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1