OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse

Author
Peter Rabbit
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1305
2008/05/19 12:57:18 (permalink)

OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse

I'm looking at a new DAW that offers an option of a cordless keyboard and a cordless optical mouse.

I am wondering if anyone is using/has used these and what your experience is with them. For example: Is this something where batteries are in need of frequent replacement? Are there any other quirky things about a cordless keyboard and mouse that might make me want to reconsider and get a regular keyboard/mouse setup with a cord instead of the wireless?

Thanks,
Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
P. Rabbit

9 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/19 13:20:22 (permalink)
    I had one, it was okay, kept losing the connection, and had to replace batteries fairly often, more to go wrong. having said that if you are good at keeping stuff up I am sure it could be a nice thing for freedoms sake.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/19 13:57:51 (permalink)
    A friend of mine who does a lot of recording just recommended not having anything wireless--too much interference or something. But maybe it would work for you.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/19 14:12:16 (permalink)

Thanks folks.
    That's pretty much the info I needed. Sounds like I'd be better off with just a standard keyboard and mouse set-up. Actually the cords don't bother me in the least and I've never had a problem with them so there's really no point in changing things now.
    Thanks again. Once again the Cakewalk users have come to my rescue.
    Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/19 16:28:32 (permalink)
    I've got a cordless mouse on this laptop..... the thing is aggravating. It's not as smooth as a wired mouse....but it was kinda free....it came as a bonus for buying the laptop on line. I've had to replace it already. 3 yr warrantee so there's no telling how many free mice I will go through, cause this one acts up too.

At times I just use the touch pad...cause it's less aggravating.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/19 16:34:11 (permalink)
    I used a wireless mouse with my desktop and it seems to work fine, no problems with any kinda interference or anything like that. As for battery usage that's not an issue for me, it uses 1 AA battery and the battery that I use is rechargable, it's one of those 15 minute Rayovac quick charge batteries and it really does just take 15 minutes to fully charge. I have to charge it like maybe 1 time every 2 months or so, but my operating system tells me when the signal is getting weak so I can put whatever I am doing on hold and charge the battery. That's just my experience with it.

Good luck

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/19 17:30:19 (permalink)
    i use a wired keyboard because my wireless keyboard was giving me a lot of trouble. i use a wireless mouse and haven't had any problems with it, but I have read several threads where people have complained about RF interference during recording with the equipment. Like I said, I haven't seen it, but I know others have.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/20 02:46:55 (permalink)
    I was using cordless mouse and keyboard but got tired of changing the batteries. Its very handy to have your keyboard by you at a piano or drum set on one side of the room and and start your DAW recording on the other. I'm thinking of switching back. I've never noticed any problem with interference.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/20 10:57:03 (permalink)
    Thanks again for everyone's input.

I was thinking that it would be nice to set the DAW keyboard next to my Yamaha keyboard so I could control Sonar from the Yamaha without having to get up. I think I would tire of replacing batteries. In addition...my Yamaha keyboard can be configured so that it will interface with Sonar and I can assign command to certain keys. So I can still control Sonar from my Yamaha if I wanted to.

I've decided to use a corded keyboard and mouse.
    Thanks again for all the input.
    Pete

P. Rabbit
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: OT: Cordless Keyboard/Mouse 2008/05/20 23:16:28 (permalink)
    i use a logitech ex110 cordless keyboard and mouse combo and have never hit a snag with it yet. Batteries still strong after 6 months of use .

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1