Can't load Proteus X LE

Author
gstring
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
2008/05/19 16:10:37 (permalink)

Can't load Proteus X LE

I just installed an e-mu 1616m pci audio interface that includes Proteus X LE with the package. I've installed the synth and ran the VST Adapter (I'm still at Sonar 4 PE). The adapter reports that the synth had been registered, but it doesn't appear in Sonar or P5 when I try to insert a new synth. Anyone else have this problem?

9 Replies Related Threads

tony_de2003
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/20 05:43:19 (permalink)
    If you are using Vista, it could be a driver issue. EMU refused to develop a Vista driver for X and LE.

I bought Dim Pro after that!

The only state of permanence is change
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/20 15:49:11 (permalink)
    steinburg vst plugins
    gstring
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/20 17:52:24 (permalink)
    steinburg vst plugins

Are you saying that Steinberg plugins will not work in Sonar 4? If so, will this problem go away if I upgrade to Sonar 7, which doesn't use the VST Adapter?

If you are using Vista, it could be a driver issue. EMU refused to develop a Vista driver for X and LE.

Actually, I am using Vista Home Premium and the latest e-mu drivers for the 1616m do support Vista. Everything else is fine.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/20 18:27:46 (permalink)
    Have you tried uninstalling it, then rescanning your VST directory (clear it out of the wrapper), and then reinstalling it and scanning again?

Might be worth a try.
    I never had Sonar 4, but I used Sonar 5 (and the wrapper) with Proteus X LE and a 1616m, and it worked fine for what it does. That was on XP though.
    As of Sonar 6 (no wrapper) and Sonar 7, I've been using Proteus X2 (full, not LE) with the same 1616m, and it also worked fine. That's also on XP.

Just so you know: both Proteus LE and Proteus X (full) are listed on the EMU Vista support site as unsupported with "No Development Planned."
    http://www.emu.com/support/vista.asp

IIRC, Sonar 4 isn't supported for Vista either.

Neither of those things means it won't work, of course, but it does mean that 2/3 of the formula in your case isn't Vista-proper (1616m - good / proteus le - not / sonar 4 - not).

Have you tried over here:
    http://www.productionforums.com/viewforum.php?f=114

That's the official/unofficial EMU forum, and perhaps there are some folks that can help out.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/05/20 18:56:35
    inmazevo
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/20 18:34:08 (permalink)
    Almost forgot.

With Proteus X2, the first time you fire it up, it asks you to insert your installation CD. This dialog is reported to not work so well with Vista.
    I can't remember if you had to "authorize" Proteus X LE with the CD the first time you use it.

Have you tried firing up Proteus in standalone mode?
    Does it work?
    Does it pop up a dialog box?

Here's a link to a Proteus thread going over at the EMU forum:
    http://www.productionforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9153

It's about Proteus X2, but it and LE are quite similar. Might help.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/05/20 18:54:55
    tony_de2003
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/22 07:40:39 (permalink)
    I understood that you were trying to use Proteus LE as a soft synth in Sonar.

Whatever driver you have for your interface will not affect the fact that there is no Vista driver for Porteus X and LE (unless it is packaged inj the 1616 software). As EMU officially declared X and LE unsupported, I think your problem is there.

I had just invested in an EMU control keyboard and EMU Proteus X when they made this helpful statement. I don't think I will buy EMU products again.

I hope you get sorted out.

The only state of permanence is change
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/22 11:17:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gstring

steinburg vst plugins

Are you saying that Steinberg plugins will not work in Sonar 4? If so, will this problem go away if I upgrade to Sonar 7, which doesn't use the VST Adapter?

Actually, I am using Vista Home Premium and the latest e-mu drivers for the 1616m do support Vista. Everything else is fine.

I'm saying things end up in that directory and not scanned by the SONAR VST scanner
    Also goto Options global to manually point to where the installer installed it
    Installer has been flaky the past year or so
    Good Luck

inmazevo
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/22 13:15:58 (permalink)
    I don't think I will buy EMU products again.

I definitely won't buy another EMU product again... ever.

At least they got around to making 1616m drivers, though it took FAR too long, and they're heavier than the previous drivers with lower performance capabilities on my system (in XP and Vista).
    The dropping of planned and announced Vista updates to the Proteus X line is also disappointing, as is the restriction on EMU hardware for such an inexpensive plugin. The only way to get around the hardware restriction going forward is upgrade to Emulator at significant expense.

Bummer too, I'd likely have paid for an upgrade to a Vista-ready version of Proteus X, particularly if they'd given it the proper 64-bit capabilities like Emulator got. Instead, it appears that the Proteus X line is actually over... just Emulator going forward.

Whatever driver you have for your interface will not affect the fact that there is no Vista driver for Porteus X and LE

Keep in mind that there are 3 things that have to work to be able to use Proteus X:
    - the 1616m has to have drivers for vista
    - the cdillo copy protection service has to be running in vista
    - proteus x has to install and start properly on vista

The 1616m vista drivers and associated copy protection service have been ported, and as long as the OP has the 2.0 version of the drivers, he should be good there.
    My guess is that Proteus X LE is just flaky on Vista, or can't talk to the copy protection service on Vista, or something like that. If it doesn't think you have EMU hardware, it won't start.

- zevo
    gstring
    RE: Can't load Proteus X LE 2008/05/23 21:52:35 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. But guess what? I GOT IT WORKING!!

I tried uninstalling P5 and Sonar and then re-installing, but it still didn't work. I re-installed the VST adapter, but it reported a bad or missing CWVST.DLL file. I found this file on a backup I had done and ran the VST adapter installer again and voila! All the vst plugins appeared.

I still had a hard time figuring our how to load sounds in Proteus XLE. I discovered that I had to load Proteus X Composer.exb then initialize the library (maybe not in that order), but it does work and I like a lot of the sounds (It'll take me a while to audition all of them).

So the bottom line is that it does work in Vista Home Premium 32 under Sonar 4 PE.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1